VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Works: Play Tape on LCD, Play Tape out analog (S-VHS) with sound, Play Tape through Firewire (Capture.) to Premiere PRO (PC.), Records from analog (S-VHS line out from VHS to Cam S-VHS in with sound.)

Not working: Can't record back though firewire from PC to Cam (Only records Blue Screen.) Premiere controls Cam and states recording was sussesful.

Can't record in cam mode? -Only Black screen in daylight outside (No cap on lens. ) - Sound records normal.

Been stored inside the house and in camerabag when not in use.

Years since I used the recording funktions last.

René
    Last edited by Amddurin; 19th Mar 2024 at 16:57.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    You do "Print to tape"? Weird. I suppose it is not related to Windows permissions for using the Firewire port.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You have to make compliant DV files otherwise you can't get any picture even when selecting "Print to Tape" appears to be working, but there is no signal being recorded.
    I'm not sure why it wouldn't record from the imaging sensor, This should be an isolated problem since the recording from the imaging sensor has nothing to do with firewire and the camcorder is capable of recording from at least one source.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    You have to make compliant DV files otherwise you can't get any picture even when selecting "Print to Tape" appears to be working, but there is no signal being recorded.
    I set Premiere PRO to DV in sequence, and I have tried capture from Cam with firewire in a new sequence to make Premiere set it up right for the DV format and that also records blue screen back to the cam when selecting export to tape...
    Maybe something is broken inside the cam – It´s from 1995 or so.

I can still capture the old MiniDV to PC, and that’s the most important thing I need it to do...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't tried it, but Scenalyzer has a "Play selected clips to VCR" function on the Playback menu. You could create your DV file with Premiere then use Scenalyzer to "play" it to your TRV27.

Your TRV 27 does have "DV In/Out" on the Firewire socket, doesn't it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WinDV can also do this with a selection of 'Recording to DV Device'

But maybe I miss something. What is the point of recording back from an editor to a camcorder ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You haven't missed anything, DB83. The OP hasn't told us why. Does he need to, or should he just be classified as "weird"? Charming, Bwaak.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Do this, Record a footage with the camcorder from a source that works, Transfer the footage to the computer via firewire, import the footage into premiere and print to another blank tape so you don't get confused with the original footage that is already on the tape. Alternatively, use the same footage to sent back to another tape using either WinDV or Sclive.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I haven't tried it, but Scenalyzer has a "Play selected clips to VCR" function on the Playback menu. You could create your DV file with Premiere then use Scenalyzer to "play" it to your TRV27.

Your TRV 27 does have "DV In/Out" on the Firewire socket, doesn't it?
    Yes - And it used to work with Premiere...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You haven't missed anything, DB83. The OP hasn't told us why. Does he need to, or should he just be classified as "weird"? Charming, Bwaak.
    I thought that you people were helping out with the use of old video gear?
    So now I am weird for using my old cam???
    Last edited by Amddurin; 20th Mar 2024 at 13:13.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    WinDV can also do this with a selection of 'Recording to DV Device'

But maybe I miss something. What is the point of recording back from an editor to a camcorder ?
    I am testing old VHS tape scan to my PC, and I needed "Bars and Tone" test picture to record on a VHS tape to see if the video is making jitter without a TBC (Due to the ease of looking at the vertical lines.) and I can't record that from my modern TV, so made it in Premiere and than found out that my old MiniDV camcorder was acting up - So just want to find out if I did somthing or the camcorder is broken.

Then I found out that the cam part doesn’t work…

So, it is not that important to do nowadays, but it was used to make master tapes of my editing from PC to Tape and then store the tape to make VHS and later DVD’s from. (Weddings etc..)
    Last edited by Amddurin; 20th Mar 2024 at 13:39.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do this, Record a footage with the camcorder from a source that works, Transfer the footage to the computer via firewire, import the footage into premiere and print to another blank tape so you don't get confused with the original footage that is already on the tape. Alternatively, use the same footage to sent back to another tape using either WinDV or Sclive.
    Did that in premiere, just using same tape, still recording blue and it shows the "Red dot" on the blue screen on the cam LCD until recording stops - Playback shows just blue...

Then I tried WinDV, and it works – I must use the record button on the Cam and then press record in WinDV. (No camera control in WinDV.)
    - Maybe Premiere has a problem with DV in the new versions?

Thanks dellsam34.
    Last edited by Amddurin; 20th Mar 2024 at 14:02. Reason: More info...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Amddurin View Post
    In defence of Alwyn, that 'weird' comment was not directed at you. It seems unfortunate that you took it that way.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In defence of Alwyn, that 'weird' comment was not directed at you. It seems unfortunate that you took it that way.
    It was: "...should he just be classified as "weird"?"
    Last edited by Amddurin; 20th Mar 2024 at 15:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No my friend. You have to re-read the very first reply in your thread and then re-read what was written at the end of the comment.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No my friend. You have to re-read the very first reply in your thread and then re-read what was written at the end of the comment.
    - Maybe you are right, I just don't get it then...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Coming back to your issue, there is something that I simply do not get.

I have just broswed through the user manual for this camera. Surely it is a video-8 camcorder not a digital-8 one so how can you even transfer from camcorder to PC over firewire. ?

Or am I just having a 'senior' moment. ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I have just broswed through the user manual for this camera. Surely it is a video-8 camcorder not a digital-8 one so how can you even transfer from camcorder to PC over firewire. ?

not you! if the model number in the threads name is correct it's a video8 only cam, not even hi8. doesn't even have a dv port, as it's strictly analog. no firewire connection which is required to "print to tape".
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course there are ways to do it. I can. But additional equipment is required and there is nothing to suggest this from the OP's post.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony DCR-TRV27E Digital MiniDV Camcorder.

@Amddurin, English is a beautiful thing. . I put the word "weird" into quotes deliberately, indicating that I don't mean it as a direct criticism of you. I was, in fact, only quoting the word that was used by another poster to describe your scenario. My phrase "Charming, Bwaak", followed that up. I suggest you take up with @Bwaak, a fellow European, as to why he called your scenario weird. Actually, he should apologise to you, but then, he is not an English native speaker either so perhaps he doesn't understand the gravity of what he wrote. I certainly would never do such a thing and am only here to help.

I'm glad you got things sorted using WinDV. I did do the occasional PC-back-to-tape thing in the day.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 21st Mar 2024 at 00:08. Reason: Punctuation
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/product/dcr-trv27/manuals
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/385662691786

Silver color - MiniDV - Firewire - Year 1995 or so... - I bought it as new back then - The video 8 has same model name?

Just found this about the camera recording black screen with sound only problem: https://www.fixya.com/support/t1484250-sony_dcr_trv27_dv_camera_record_video
    Last edited by Amddurin; 20th Mar 2024 at 18:48. Reason: Forgot to Quote DB83...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony DCR-TRV27E Digital MiniDV Camcorder.

@AMddurin, English is a beautiful thing. . I put the word "weird" into quotes deliberately, indicating that I don't mean it as a direct criticism of you. I was, in fact, only quoting the word that was used by another poster to describe your scenario. My phrase "Charming, Bwaak", followed that up. I suggest you take up with @Bwaak, a fellow European, as to why he called your scenario weird. Actually, he should apologise to you, but then, he is not an English native speaker either so perhaps he doesn't understand the gravity of what he wrote. I certainly would never do such a thing and am only here to help.

I'm glad you got things sorted using WinDV. I did do the occasional PC-back-to-tape thing in the day.
    - Thank you for the explanation...

- Most be Premiere PRO that’s acting up, when WinDV is fine - just with manual control of the cam.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for clarifying the camcorder issue.

You missed out the DCR bit from the model which threw me.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Did that in premiere, just using same tape, still recording blue and it shows the "Red dot" on the blue screen on the cam LCD until recording stops - Playback shows just blue...

Then I tried WinDV, and it works – I must use the record button on the Cam and then press record in WinDV. (No camera control in WinDV.)

Thanks dellsam34.
    That's not how prit to tape works, Load a compliant DV file, when you export to tape you don't press record on the camcorder, Premiere will engage the record function automatically, If you press record on the camcorder, it will be busy and will not receive the commands from Premiere.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The instructions do say to Press Record when recording to tape; the Premiere procedure must be unique.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thanks dellsam34.
    That's not how prit to tape works, Load a compliant DV file, when you export to tape you don't press record on the camcorder, Premiere will engage the record function automatically, If you press record on the camcorder, it will be busy and will not receive the commands from Premiere.
    I know... - Only used the cam record button for WinDV...

No need to press record in Premiere as it controls the cam - You can also set in/out points in editing and then export the in/out bit only - Thats why I was a bit confused how to record from WinDV...
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for clarifying the camcorder issue.

You missed out the DCR bit from the model which threw me.
    I thought that all of them was Digital Cassette Recorder (DCR.) – Because the old one's uses tapes...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Not exactly.

Video8 and Hi8 are analogue systems. Digital8 is a digital (mini-DV) system. All use tapes of the same size and you can (I believe) use the analogue tapes in a mini-DV camcorder such as yours. Sony did not exactly help with using the same partial title, in your case TRV27E, for both systems.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83
    Digital8 is a digital (mini-DV) system. All use tapes of the same size and you can (I believe) use the analogue tapes in a mini-DV camcorder such as yours.
    Nope, Digital8 tapes are the large Video8/Hi8 format. MiniDV is about half the size. This is the type Amddurin has.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Not exactly.

Video8 and Hi8 are analogue systems.
    - Your right, I forgot that Video 8 and HI8 is analogue and therefore no "D" in their model names...

- If you have a Digital 8, it will play back Video 8 and HI 8…

Last edited by Amddurin; 21st Mar 2024 at 09:06.
    Quote Quote