VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dear community,

I have been searching in this forum and on the web to find an editing program for my needs.

I am recording in OBS to mkv and have around 4-5 different audiotracks to a recording.
    My editor wants to have the recordings in mkv for quality-reasons.
    Recently I want to cut out some parts, before sending them to my editor. They should be able to have access to the new version with all the audiotracks later on.
    Therefore I need a program which can edit in mkv and can convert into mkv again.
    As well as I would need the program to seperate the audiotracks (since I would need to delete some parts there).

Thanks for taking the time to read,
    and greetings from Germany
    Quote Quote  
  2. If your source is already mkv, you don't need to re-encode.
    Cutting, extracting, omitting or adding tracks can be done with Avidemux or with clever FFmpeg-GUI.

Cutting is easier with Avidemux, extracting and muxing tracks is easier with clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snowneed View Post
    I am recording in OBS to mkv and have around 4-5 different audiotracks to a recording.
    My editor wants to have the recordings in mkv for quality-reasons.
    Maybe I'm misreading but I don't think mkv as such guarantees "quality" since it's a conatiner format. Perception of quality is initially determined by how well the elementary audio- and video-streams inside are.

I can imagine hard-cutting out parts leaving undesired transitions. First thought here you may need crossfading, perhaps both for audio and video. I can't tell if the suggested tools support this.
    Should your editor be the person who will do this, you may want to deliver extra start- and end footage at the cutting points.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hello both, thanks so much for the reply.
    I have been the past couple days sick. So my reply is a bit late.

I have been checking out Avidemux so far, as it looked at first glance appealing and seems so far promising. I am also going to check out the other one too. Thank you so much for the recommendations.

To the "quality", I am actually not so sure myself. But asked him right now, and am waiting for a response now.
    This is a good point with the undesired transitions. I have different types of content. I need to look into crossfading. It is the first time to hear about it as a noobie.
    I think it is an excellent idea though with the extra footage, so that problem could be somewhat solved.
    Quote Quote