VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have ripped over 200 DVD / Blu-ray movies into MKV files with all audio and subtitle tracks. I used "make MKV" and "Handbrake" to accomplish that; 85% of the sub files turned out to be PGS extension files with the rest being VOB/SUB extensions.
    The fly in the soup is that my Panasonic DMP-BD84P-K is not capable of displaying the subs with the GPS extension.
    I need to change or convert the GPS subs to SRT or VOB/SUB extensions to be able to display them on the TV screen.
    Any help in explaining or suggestiones on how to do this change / conversion as a complete batch up to 14 subs at the time would be sincerely appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Either look for the subtitles on Opensubtitles.com or using Subtitle Edit program available in the Tools section here. It will OCR the graphic based PGS subtitles and turn them into text ie SRT. As OCR to SRT might require your intervention to correct errors along the way, I'm not sure if a batch solution is viable. Check the various subtitle sites first as that is the easiest way to do it as someone else has put in the hard yards doing the OCR to Text.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blu-ray and DVD natively carry image-based subtitlings. Staying in the image-based realm, BDSup2Sub can convert blu-ray SUP to SUB/IDX. Expect a minor quality degradation. Do check if your player supports SUB/IDX for 1920x1080 canvas as the images will come out about the same size as the native SUP images. I can't tell whether this can be done in batch though.

Batch-converting image-based subs to text I think defies its purpose because IME post-job (manual) error correcting requires more time than when live monitoring & correcting each OCR run. Batch OCR-ing requires every hickup to pass through in order to start the next job, after which you're left with having to invest more time in more cumbersome work. Live monitoring a separate OCR has the big advantage in dealing with 'errors' as you have both source-image and OCR text-result in one window simultaneously.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your help.
    Now I have a different problem.
    I have two MKV files of the movie "Don Camillo und Peppone" one with Italian soundtrack and German subs. The second one is a shorter version with a German soundtrack. The one withe the German soundtrack is shorter, because some of the intro was cut out.
    Now I am attempting to add the German soundtrack to the MKV file with the Italian soundtrack. I extracted the German soundtrack as an mp3 file, but having problems synchronizing the sound to the lip movement with the mkvnix program.
    Any suggestions of how to do the synchronization of the German soundtrack to the file with the Italian soundtrack and German subs in an easy way?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At first hand determining if two videos indeed are the same - other than an earlier or later start because of differing intros, I always do this by simultaneously opening them in two separate instances of a tool like VirtualDub. Where I search for shared exact frames.
    When setting both video displays to an exact same frame, the framenumbers will tell you how much frames (thus time) one video runs "earlier or later" than the other one. This gives you a value you'll have to - positively or negatively - delay the audiotrack with. This value can be set in MKVToolNix GUI.

If I understand your specific case correctly, your desired German audiotrack from the shorter ("earlier") version has to be - positively - delayed to be synced to the longer ("later") version. In other words, you want the desired audio to start later than the desired target video.

But it's important you first check if both videos have the same framerate. Imagine framerates of the two videos being different. Setting a given delay value will make A/V being in sync at the start, but will run out of sync further in time. In which case a speed-conversion is needed. This can be done for either audio, or video.
    Syncing speeds is the first thing you do, because determining a delay that will "hold throughout" the whole video runtime simply first requires both sources to run evenly fast.

You can imagine same principles would apply for subtitle syncing.
    Last edited by Ennio; 22nd Mar 2024 at 08:32.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dank je voor je hulp.
    I checked the Files in Handbreak (VirtualDub did not open the MMKV files) and both show H.246 (x246), 30 FPS PFR
    The Italian File is 3.847.701 KB 01:42:17
    The German File 3.815.838 KB 01:41:38
    This seems to be a good starting point for a workable solution. I do believe that I don't have to do a speed-conversion as the frame rate is identical.
    I have spent yesterday thee (3) hours attempting to sync the mp3 file with the German audio with the Italian MKV movie file in MKVToolNix but I failed to accomplish an exact sync.
    I believe that it would be easier to have a virtual view of the MKV file with the audio in a separate track line and the German mp3 soundtrack line underneath the two files, where i just have move the German mp3 file into the right position. Do you know of a program that would accomplish this setup?
    Bedankt voor je tijd.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Additionally, i just realized that the end of the Italien file has additional titles at the end of the movie, which are missing in the German version. The German version is for that reason missing time in the front of file and at the end.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Additionally, the audio sample rate of the it soundtrack of the movie shows AV-3 at 48000 Hz. 2 channels and the de MP at 44100 Hz 2 channels.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lancelot381 View Post
    Dank je voor je hulp.
    Graag gedaan

...VirtualDub did not open the MMKV files...
    Note that I use VirtualDub2 which is perfectly capable to show mkv. Maybe you use an other version, or there might be something jiffy with your source mkv files. In which case a remux with MKVToolNix GUI might help out.

I do believe that I don't have to do a speed-conversion as the frame rate is identical.
    Correct then.

Additionally, i just realized that the end of the Italien file has additional titles at the end of the movie, which are missing in the German version. The German version is for that reason missing time in the front of file and at the end.
    Muxing audio shorter/longer than video never got me into trouble. Of course you can add silence at the end, if you're more comfortable with that.
    Also adding silence at the beginning instead of applying a positive delay is an option.

Additionally, the audio sample rate of the it soundtrack of the movie shows AV-3 at 48000 Hz. 2 channels and the de MP at 44100 Hz 2 channels.
    Audio sample rates aren't important if you don't have to stretch or shrink the sound. Which - as you mentioned - is the case here.

I believe that it would be easier to have a virtual view of the MKV file with the audio in a separate track line and the German mp3 soundtrack line underneath the two files, where i just have move the German mp3 file into the right position. Do you know of a program that would accomplish this setup?
    I think NLE editors like Premiere can do this. I'm sure there are some free tools available but I couldn't mention them.
    Hopefully other people can chime in here.

Bedankt voor je tijd.
    Wederom graag gedaan.

[EDIT] Actually, reading your case over, I wonder why you wouldn't just stick with the shorter version alltogether? Does the longer version have better video quality?
    Last edited by Ennio; 22nd Mar 2024 at 12:19.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The reason I am retaining the Italian language version with the German subtitles, I am attempting to presently add English subs to this file. The auto translator of sub edit has many hiccups and it is a a tedious job to straighten them out. Hi later, after completing the English subs will add also Dutch and Bulgarian subs for acquaintances.
    And these subs will be full of hiccups because I'm not able to correct the Dutch and Bulgarian errors.
    I picked up some Dutch sentences while visiting Zandvoort during my youth to watch formula 1 races, but I'm unable to correct these subtitles. I will ask my daughter in law to check the Bulgarian sub, as it is her native tongue.
    Quote Quote