VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have it for 4€ I need to know if this TV tuner card can do lossless capture and support to capture full 720x576 because the card is a PAL-B model. I have a windows xp SP3 machine for it and virtualdub with lagarith lossless codec.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Joscraft_05 View Post
    I have it for 4€ I need to know if this TV tuner card can do lossless capture and support to capture full 720x576 because the card is a PAL-B model. I have a windows xp SP3 machine for it and virtualdub with lagarith lossless codec.
    I haven't used that particular TV tuner card but Hauppauge's device drivers normally provide full SD resolution for the SD analog video systems the card is designed to support. So, 720x576 should be an available option when using VirtualDub. The capture software you choose also determines whether or not you can perform lossless capture. VirtualDub should also allow you to use Lagarith.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some of the Hauppauge PAL cards are truly awful in that HVR range. I have at least 6 of them, from 800s to 1200s, most are unusable. The values are as off as the Easycaps, overexposed captures.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Joscraft_05 View Post
    I need to know if this TV tuner card can do lossless capture
    I may be wrong but I don't think that device can convert analog video to digital and save uncompressed or with a lossless codec. It's an MPEG 2 encoder only device. The "lossless" claims in the product descriptions I've seen relate to digital MPEG 2 broadcast channels. With those it can simply save the already compressed video in the broadcast stream, without re-encoding and incurring further losses.

and support to capture full 720x576 because the card is a PAL-B model.
    With digital broadcast streams it will save in whatever format the video is broadcast. Some may be full D1 (720x576), some may be half D1 (352x576), some even less. For analog capture it should give you the choice of any of the standard PAL formats.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I may be wrong but I don't think that device can convert analog video to digital and save uncompressed or with a lossless codec. It's an MPEG 2 encoder only device. The "lossless" claims in the product descriptions I've seen relate to digital MPEG 2 broadcast channels. With those it can simply save the already compressed video in the broadcast stream, without re-encoding and incurring further losses.
    Unlike some of Hauppauge's older PCI and PCI-e TV cards, I don't think this card has an onboard encoder chip for analog recording. Instead, it uses Hauppauge's SoftPVR™ MPEG-2 software encoder for encoding analog input to MPEG-2, like Hauppauge's recent small USB TV tuners. I have one of Haupauge's small USB tuners, and it can capture analog input with third-party capture software and software encoders.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Mar 2024 at 19:56.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

and support to capture full 720x576 because the card is a PAL-B model.
    With digital broadcast streams it will save in whatever format the video is broadcast. Some may be full D1 (720x576), some may be half D1 (352x576), some even less. For analog capture it should give you the choice of any of the standard PAL formats.
    I ended up buying a Terratec Cinergy HT PCI card. It says support for Windows 7 in their box so the card is very "recent" from 2009/2010 I think. With a Philips SAA7131E chip. I hope it will be good.

I currently have a Pinnacle tv tuner card with a chip BT848 from 1999 but it gives me problems with a lot of noise through both composite and s-video and when I try to set virtualdub to YV12 4:2:0 the card crash and it doesn't let me to use it... To be exact the card is very unstable.

EDIT: The card doesn’t have a Philips chip but it have a Conexant chip and only work with YUY2 4:2:2.(Is not a BT8x8 since the card is more modern from 2009 it uses a more advanced and newer Conexant chip)

The difference is very good compared to my old Pinnacle BT848 tv tuner card.
    Last edited by Joscraft_05; 27th Mar 2024 at 12:27.
    Quote Quote