VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes yes yes I know!

A program I'm involved with has the option of analogue capturing in MPEG 2. All parameters are user-selectable. I'm interested in the thoughts of the experts on capturing at Constant Bitrate verses Variable.

I know VBR is better from a space POV, but would CBR be better, from a "master file" POV, considering that the file might be used in the future to create a MP4?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If the peak in average mode is the same as the constant bitrate, the average bitrate mode can only be worse than the constant bitrate mode.

If the average bitrate mode has the same average bitrate as the contstant bitrate the average mode is likely better.

For example, it the constant birate is 15 Mb/s, and the average bitrate ranges from 0 to 15 MB/s, constant bitrate is likely better. If the average bitrate ranges from 0 to 30 mB/s, the average bitrate encoding is likely better.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Jagabo, by "better" you mean better quality?

I am able to set the average bitrate (as well as Max BR) and the program conforms closely to it. In effect, the CBR and VBR files have similar bitrates.

From an export-to-MP4 POV, would it be "better" (quality-wise) to have a VBR or CBR master?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If filesize doesn't matter I would suggest to capture at the highest possible CBR bitrate. Depending on the performance of your on-the-fly mpeg2 encoder it may prevent blocking artifacts which may otherwise materialize if the VBR encoder would drop the bitrate too much in dark low motion scenes for example.
    Your mpeg2 encoder may have some other settings constraints though for CBR and VBR, so you have to try. Maxing out the bitrate does usually no harm for "master" copies.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Sharc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If filesize doesn't matter I would suggest to capture at the highest possible CBR bitrate. Depending on the performance of your on-the-fly mpeg2 encoder it may prevent blocking artifacts which may otherwise materialize if the VBR encoder would drop the bitrate too much in dark low motion scenes for example.
    And more, the CBR allows lower computational effort, reducing the risk of dropped frames for real-time encoding while capturing on low performance systems.
    Quote Quote  
  7. For capture i strongly recommends using low constant quantizer if possible - this will create pure VBR file however if bitrate can be unlimited (i.e. HW encoder may create non standard conformant bitstream) - constant quantizer has advantage of not involving mostly feedback so remove potential problems that can be outcome of errors in decision process. Fixed Qp remove most of issues - or move them to this point where decision about increasing Qp is taken when bitrate from encoder approaching maximum allowed bitrate. Yes, i know - most of you will not agree with this but from my perspective such strategy works best for software and HW encoders.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Lollo, thank you.

@Pandy, the only options I've got are VBR or CBR (and the bitrate). I don't have a selectable Quantiser.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Since this is a live capturing situation, you would not be able to take advantage of 2pass vbr efficiencies, and since you are discussing bitrate, that sounds like you don't have cfr/cq as an option, so the option of cbr, assuming sufficient bitrate is given for the most complex parts, would certainly be less of a burden, as was mentioned, and give assurance of quality & compatibility.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Scott, thanks, CBR it is.
    Quote Quote  
  11. MPEG encoding is pretty simple by modern standards so that's probably not an issue if you have a modern computer.

As I pointed out earlier, a bigger issue is whether or not the VBR mode allows for higher peak bitrates than the highest CBR bitrate. High peak bitrates will allow complex shots to get more bitrate and hence better quality than encoding CBR. A VBR encoding may deliver higher quality than a CBR encoding at the same average bitrate.

Of course, all this depends on the particular encoder. And you shouldn't be using an MPEG encoder for capture anyway. Why discard detail and create DCT blocking and ringing artifacts right off the bat?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    @Lollo, thank you.

@Pandy, the only options I've got are VBR or CBR (and the bitrate). I don't have a selectable Quantiser.
    Then i would choose VBR to relax encoder restrictions.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    FYI: most commercial software that captures into DVD-compatible format use 8 Mbps CBR as the highest-quality format. Technically, DVD-video is limited to 10 Mbps overall, so 8 Mbps for the video and the rest is for the audio, subtitles, and just to stay below the limit for better compatibility.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    you shouldn't be using an MPEG encoder for capture anyway. Why discard detail and create DCT blocking and ringing artifacts right off the bat?
    Because for many cases it is good enough, small enough, fast enough for encoding, fast enough for editing, the resulting file usually has correct metadata regarding interlacing, field dominance and aspect ratio. So, it is watchable and compatible. Yes, sometimes it is blocky. I've switched to MPEG-2 for capturing a bunch of tapes with music videos - I capture them, I chop off the beginning and the end without re-encoding, and I upload them to Wayback Machine, because YT keeps blocking them. Then whoever downloads them can decide whether they want to plop it on a DVD or deinterlace, upscale and upload to YT or watch as is.

Just for fun I attached all four default profiles from AverMedia Capture Studio. So, they use 6 Mbps for MPEG-2, not 8 Mbps. Looks like it is hardware-encoded. AVI seems to be uncompressed, VDub says it uses internal DIB decoder for it.

There is a separate dialog for deinterlacing!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	avermedia_MPG.png
Views:	10
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	77654  

Click image for larger version

Name:	avermedia_MP4.png
Views:	10
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	77655  

Name:	avermedia_AVI.png
Views:	13
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	77656  

Name:	avermedia_TS.png
Views:	9
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	77657  

Last edited by Bwaak; 13th Mar 2024 at 11:55.
    Quote Quote  
  14. 8 .... 10 Mbps are DVD constrained. Many early Blu-ray discs were mpeg2 encoded using full Blu-ray bitrates, and some pro camcorders used mpeg2 up to 300 Mbit/s (422P@HL)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    8 .... 10 Mbps are DVD constrained. Many early Blu-ray discs were mpeg2 encoded using full Blu-ray bitrates, and some pro camcorders used mpeg2 up to 300 Mbit/s (422P@HL)
    20 years ago 50 Mbit/s 4:2:2 MPEG-2 was the gateway to proper broadcast HD. MPEG SHD422 is 85 Mbit/s. I don't know of any camcorder that recorded 300 Mbit/s using MPEG-2 (and too lazy to search ). HDCAM is not MPEG-2, AFAIK.
    Quote Quote  
  16. MP@ML is limited to 15Mbps but MP@HL is limited to 80Mbps so if your encoder is able to go over 15 Mbps then it is fine for most decoders to deal with such stream. Personally i would avoid to use B frames and made short GOP's from I and few P frames only this provide usually best MPEG-2 quality with sufficiently high bitrate is available.
    I agree with Bwaak - nowadays MPEG-1, MPEG-2 are probably most versatile video codecs free from patents - MPEG-1 has nice feature - is able support up to 4096x4096 resolution and can be supported natively from any modern web browser ( https://phoboslab.org/log/2013/05/mpeg1-video-decoder-in-javascript ), MPEG-2 is better for interlaced content and has few other nice improvements over MPEG-1.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jagabo
    And you shouldn't be using an MPEG encoder for capture anyway. Why discard detail and create DCT blocking and ringing artifacts right off the bat?
    It's the only option I have with this particular program, unfortunately.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Jagabo
    And you shouldn't be using an MPEG encoder for capture anyway. Why discard detail and create DCT blocking and ringing artifacts right off the bat?
    It's the only option I have with this particular program, unfortunately.
    And you have to use that program?

And keep in mind that this entire discussion has been theoretical. The only way to know for sure is to try the different methods with the program yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Jagabo, yes, we're persevering with it.
    Quote Quote