VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I'm tranferring some 8mm Hi8 tapes for a friend & they have a tracking error similar to the tape on this thread -

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/371032-Video8-captured-files-with-large-horizontal-bands

The tapes were recorded at long speed but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Apart from the video distortion I have noticed the sound cuts in & out or completely dissapears.

Out of 10 tapes this happens on 4 of them. The rest are fine.

I have seen some videos where you dismantle the camcorder & make adjustments & then dismantle again after the adjustments but I think the source camera may be at fault.

He bought over his camera but it was very dirty & could not play anything.

I have attached a screen shot but not a video as it's the same error as on the link above.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8mm Misaligned Tape.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	77431  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TazDave View Post
    Any suggestions?
    It pretty much seems as if you're trying to play back tapes that were recorded in a misaligned camcorder resulting in poor playback if you're trying to play them back in a normal or correctly aligned camcorder.

The problem is not uncommon. Since I'm currently dealing with the same issue, I just published a post on here, trying to share my findings. Maybe it'll help you too.

How to playback 8mm video tapes that were recorded in a misaligned camcorder
    Quote Quote