VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all, could somebody point me in the right direction, using AVISynth, to remove these orange waves across the guy's body.

When I deinterlaced it with QTGMC (basic mode) I got bad crosshatching in the red/orange portions and the across-wave was still there.

Thanks!
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Alwyn; 28th Feb 2024 at 01:44. Reason: Messed up oringinal attachment; that was the deinterlaced file. The correct raw file is now attached.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    False alarm, caused by my ES-15.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Note that although Y,Cb,Cr ("YUV)" are all withing their valid range, the conversion to RGB produces out-of-gamut values which get clipped (clipped reds). Reducing the saturation would help.
    Also, there seems to be some chroma->luma crosstalk which creates "ants". Check the quality (screening, shielding) of the S-video cabling.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Sharc, I tried my EH-57, same; my EZ-48 (integrated Diga) no interference, and VCR only, no interference.

I then paused the video on a red/orange spot and the waves continued, slowed down, stopped, and then started again going in the opposite direction, so I think your cabling shielding (or lack thereof) is right. I have S-video cables everywhere here, going to the ES-15 then to a DVK, then to digitiser. Will try swapping them around.

Colour comment noted; do I need to adjust the saturation down before capture or can I do it in post?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Color subcarrier leaks into luma channel. Possible cause, as mentioned by Sharc, insufficient shielding of cables or damaged connectors/jacks (bent pins) somewhere along the path of the signal. S-Video is rather prone to this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Colour comment noted; do I need to adjust the saturation down before capture or can I do it in post?
    It should be doable in post in YUV colorspace, provided that no conversion YUV->RGB is in the workflow for doing the correction. Some editors and filters make an immediate conversion to RGB unfortunately. For 8bit integer the damage is there. As only the red component gets clipped it's not a too serious issue IMO. Depends on other scenes as well. Too ambitious legalization can make the picture look dull or flat (as opposed to vivid).
    Some editors (NLEs) convert to float RGB so these should not clip and you should be safe with the conversion.
    Last edited by Sharc; 28th Feb 2024 at 11:47.
    Quote Quote  
  7. In vapoursynth, but should be the same or similar in Avisynth, there is Tweak function that uses expressions for YUV:
    import adjust
    clip = adjust.Tweak(clip, sat=0.75, coring=False)

or using just expressions manually for this case, for U or V channels:
    U = (U - 128) * scale) + 128; V = (V - 128) * scale) + 128
    so:
    scale=0.75
    clip = clip.std.Expr(expr=["x", f"x 128 - {scale} * 128 +", f"x 128 - {scale} * 128 +"])
    Quote Quote  
  8. I just post some visuals, sorry for polluting , but visuals help,
    posting illegal RGB's below 5 and above 245,
    note, after de-saturation, there is plenty of really low RGB values as well
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	saturation_to_0.75_frame_0000133.png
Views:	14
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	77328  

Click image for larger version

Name:	saturation_0.75_image_frame_0000133.png
Views:	14
Size:	650.4 KB
ID:	77329  

Name:	not_fixed_illegal_rgb_frame_0000133.png
Views:	15
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	77330  

Name:	original_image_frame_0000133.png
Views:	13
Size:	654.1 KB
ID:	77331  

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all, I ended up lowering the saturation in the proc amp and it came out OK for my purposes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone, I dropped the saturation in VDub and it looks OK for my purposes but will certainly keep Tweak in mind.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Thanks everyone, I dropped the saturation in VDub and it looks OK for my purposes .....
    If I am not mistaken Vdub and many of its filters convert to RGB as a first step AFAIK, so the clipping damage is already there, irreversibly, and lowering the saturation in post does not cure the problem. Better use Avisynth or some other tool which does the filtering in YUV colorspace.

Independent of the color issue, replace your S-video cables by decent ones to prevent crawling ants. Your future captures will benefit.
    See
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403635-Panasonic-DVD-recorder-passthrough-settings...12#post2714801
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Thanks all, I ended up lowering the saturation in the proc amp and it came out OK for my purposes.
    OK
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sharc, just to clarify (my posts beforehand are a jumble), I lowered the saturation then recaptured.
    Quote Quote