VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

Currently I've Elgato VideoCapture but it doesn't seem good enough. Any recommendations on other options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. What kind of tape are you digitizing, that would help to put more infos...
    This deck can transcode to any format pal,secam,ntsc, mesecam, pal-m, not your average deck... (does it do it well, i sure don't know)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vidblue View Post
    Hi,

Currently I've Elgato VideoCapture but it doesn't seem good enough. Any recommendations on other options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    AFAIK, Elgato Video Capture correctly digitizes interlaced video as interlaced, but the Elgato capture app records in 30p only. The first step would be to throw away the Elgato app and use other software like VirtualDub or AmarecTV.

Feel free to provide a sample.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks guys.

Going to try VirtualDub and will share some samples of S-VHS and VHS tapes captures.

Btw, If I've to buy another capture device (as Elgato is quite old h/w) , what would you recommend? I've Linux and Window10/11 systems to use with.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. My experience of this and the Panasonic is not the greatest actual VCR desk, its better to use well mentioned native VCR and capture natively then use software to convert. Just my experience, may be the decks I had were worn out but using decks like JVC (either pal or ntsc) with TBC.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had this tab open for weeks, and I had wanted to give a long reply to this, but no longer can. In short, this is a terrible VCR. The NTSC and PAL are beyond crap, and only the SECAM is passable because so few decent SECAM options exist. Maybe PAL-N, PAL-M, reluctantly.

Combined with a low-end capture card (Elgato, Easycap, Dazzle, etc), and it's a hot mess.

Win10/11 and Linux are the wrong tool for SD analog videotape capture. This is a legacy task, and legacy OS are almost always needed.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. I cannot fathom why anyone would convert pal/ntsc when there are miryiad multi dvd playersaround and mkv/mp4 don't care for playback.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote