VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Using the latest version of VLC Player for Windows, I am playing a series of videos in a tutorial and hit the "Next Video" button to scroll through my playlist. When I return to the original video, how do I get VLC to remember where it was playing and continue from the same place? There is a preferences option for "Continue Playing" and I set that to Always, but the video is always restarting from time 00:00.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Tools -> Preferences -> Interface -> Continue Playback? -> Always
    Quote Quote  
  3. "Continue Playback? -> Always"

Yes, that is what I have set, but when I tab through a video playlist it is not remembering positions.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It worked when I exited and restarted the program. Maybe it doesn't work for playlist items?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It worked when I exited and restarted the program. Maybe it doesn't work for playlist items?
    I confirm after restarting that the setting for Continue Playback? is still "Always" and yet VLC Player does not remember prior position. Maybe it needs to work together with some other setting?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ah, I think you need to have Tools -> Preferences -> Interface -> Save Recently Played Items enabled too.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Jagabo! I've had the same issue/question as pone44 and have been following this thread hoping for a solution. You're solution (post #6) was the key.

creakndale

Here's the procedure for VLC Media Player 3.0.18, the latest version for Windows 7.
    1) Open VLC Media Player.
    2) Tools > Preferences > Show settings > switch from Simple to All (at the bottom left)
    3) Click, Interface > expand Main interfaces > Qt > check, Save the recently played items in the menu (right side)
    4) Two lines down, next to Continue playback?, choose Always (right side)
    5) Click, Save (bottom right)
    6) Close VLC Player

Now when you play an Audio/Video file with VLC Player, it remembers it's playback location and will resume from the same spot when you later choose to resume playing the file. I've noticed that this works for many files. However, it still doesn't Continue Playback for videos that are in Portrait orientation and occasionally for some files that are Landscape orientation. MOV files from iPhone won't Continue Payback.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never mind. It works when I continue playing from the right-click file menu.
    Last edited by SuperFist; 26th Jun 2024 at 07:46.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SMPlayer will do this, no problem, and also remember playback settings for the file. I first tried it about a dozen years ago just for that feature and it's still my default for file playback. While VLC is better for DVDs (which isn't relevant to may any more) I think SMPlayer is better in every other way I've used it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    SMPlayer will do this, no problem, and also remember playback settings for the file. I first tried it about a dozen years ago just for that feature and it's still my default for file playback. While VLC is better for DVDs (which isn't relevant to may any more) I think SMPlayer is better in every other way I've used it.
    As it turns out, I did try this one several years ago and it couldn't make me give up MPC-HC or MPC-BE back then. Hopefully things have changed since then.

How do you show chapter markers? I go to next chapter quite often with TV series.

Also, I need to be able to stop and start with a mouse click. is this possible now?
    Last edited by SuperFist; 26th Jun 2024 at 10:50.
    Quote Quote