VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The credit footage of a film I'm encoding has larger interlacing? The rest of the film is interlaced but I can't figure out what's happening with this weird combing. What causes this?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	large interlacing.png
Views:	36
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	77182  

Quote Quote  
  2. Vertical resizing without deinterlacing before resizing destroyed the original interlaced structure.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Vertical resizing without deinterlacing before resizing destroyed the original interlaced structure.
    That makes sense. This is irrepairable correct?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by LaserBones View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Vertical resizing without deinterlacing before resizing destroyed the original interlaced structure.
    That makes sense. This is irrepairable correct?
    The damage is there. Often irreparable yes, unless one knows how it has been resized and no other processing has been applied on top.
    Some mitigation is possible (typically a trial and error process). There are posts in this forum and at doom9. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.
    Last edited by Sharc; 22nd Feb 2024 at 06:42.
    Quote Quote  
  5. basic idea to undo this is to:
    a. downscale to original resolution
    b. deinterlace
    c. try to lessen ghosting caused by the whole process (using exblend, spotless, FixBlendIVTC, cdblend,..)
    so i would say one can lessen this somewhat, but it is irrepairable on natural content. (on simple anime/cartoon content lessing of this is easier)
    lessen: yes
    get near the original quality, before the messup: not really

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. 1. If the credits were added later during the telecine transfer process, they might have been interlaced differently than the original film.
    2. If the credits are burned into separate title cards filmed at a different frame rate or resolution, their interlacing could differ.
    3. If stock footage was used for the credits, it might have a different interlacing pattern.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cut that bit off, fix it, add it back on. Mind you, I don't know how to fix it but I'm sure others do.
    Quote Quote