VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    HI! Long-time lurker finally made an account and posting. Not sure where to post this, but looking for a good Betamax VCR from a trusted source. Prefer one of the models recommended with S-Video but would consider a composite model from the list on this site. Thanks in advance!

PS> I have a TBC already.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Your choices are very limited if you want to use S-Video, two US ED Beta models, the EDV-7500 and EDV-9500, Two Canadians models, EDV-7300 and EDV-9300, one or two Super Beta models, probably the latest two models.
    There is a whole bunch of Japanese ED Beta models but you have to get them from Japan, Working condition is always questionable and most importantly the Japanese VCRs are set to 0 IRE, US is 7.5 IRE, Make sure your capture device has the pedestal function to set the correct IRE, Consumer capture cards don't have this function, This is not luma gain, so it cannot be compensated for perfectly by tweaking luma level.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would recommend a Sony SL-F1UB+TT-F1UB Betamax. I recently bought a serviced one on ebay from a guy who has a passion for betamax.
    He is based in the UK though, I'm not sure if he'd post to US & how much it'd cost if so.

The reason I went for this model is that the picture quality is superb (since this one has relatively new/hardly used heads for its age), having had new capacitors fitted means its likely to last a lot longer.

I bought a Sanyo Betacord before I got my F1 and the picture quality wasn't close to what I have now. I came into some difficulties capturing and left it to one side for about 8 months, when I returned to continue capturing after getting some new kit, I discovered it had stopped working. There was a problem with the idle which resulted in the tape not winding back inside upon playback. After chatting with the engineer who sold me the F1 he reassured me that the F1 is generally a lot more stable, with better longevity than the cheaper Sanyo Betacords. This has been my recent experience, & its so better assuring to have something which has been fitted with new components which can be common reasons for them fail.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    No, that's a mediocre choice of Beta machine, very basic compact unit with composite and mono audio, Besides, he needs a NTSC machine. Here in the US we have better choices, he could at least get a Super Beta HiFi stereo even with just composite out.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only non-ED-Beta machine with S-Video is the SL-HF2100 which is very rare and expensive. The OP's best bet is the Japanese ED-Betas on eBay as there were several Japan only models, EDV-5000/6000/8000.

I don't know if he's still in business, but mrbetamax.com sells refurbed units. Outside the U.S., palsite.com has a marketplace.

Also, visit digitalfaq.com as there's a couple of members there who are Betaphiles. We're a rare breed and I'm just a former Betaphile.

Finally, my pet peeve #186. Betamax are only Sony Betas. Beta is the format, just as VHS is the format. This is why we have SuperBeta, ED-Beta, BetaSP, etc.

Edit: Having owned the SL-HF900, SL-HF2100 and EDV-7500, IMO, the picture quality was best on the EDV-7500.

Edit 2: Don't confuse the SL-HF2000 with the SL-HF2100. They look the same, but the SL-HF2000 is very stripped down and no S-Video. The last Betamax were mid-range machines. I believe the SL-HF600? may have been the last U.S. model.

There are no non-U.S. Beta VCRs with S-Video. The highest end PAL Betamax was the Sl-HF950, which despite it's name, is the PAL version of the mid-range tray loading SL-HF750.
    Last edited by lingyi; 27th Feb 2024 at 12:23.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    No, that's a mediocre choice of Beta machine, very basic compact unit with composite and mono audio, Besides, he needs a NTSC machine. Here in the US we have better choices, he could at least get a Super Beta HiFi stereo even with just composite out.
    Yes, my bad there. If he's looking for one with S-Video, I guess it'd be a much higher spec. The F1 I have is the same as what I grew up with, for my uses its been great. UK does seem to have less options available than in US. I were just so happy to have got a serviced one which is pretty hard to come by over here
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The U.S. equivalent is the SL-2000/TT-2000, the successor the SL-3000, the first portable Betamax. According to a Sony rep, the SL-2500 and SL-HF2700 uses the same slim mechanism inside a single case.

Be very careful with these models because the loading ring uses folding guide pins to achieve the slim profile. Never pull out a stuck tape as it's very easy to break those pins. I had to have my SL-HF2700 repaired multiple times because the early loading ring design was prone to breakage. The last time I had it repaired, they used a new ring design that was supposed to be more robust. After the last repair, it just sat on my cabinet and rarely used.
    Quote Quote