VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I have a question about an issue I am having with an MPEG file I am trying to edit in Adobe Premiere. Below is a summary of the problem I am having:

The file will not open with Window Media Player, Premiere or Photoshop.

It will open with VLC media player, but it only plays the first ~2 seconds of video. I can get around this, somewhat, by clicking around the timeline bar. When I scrub forward, it will play the video for 10-45 seconds before stopping again.

Adobe support suggested the problem could be with the video codec. The video was recorded with a surgical microscope, so it's possible that it is using some uncommon codec. However, I have several other videos recorded at the same time and by the same microscope that all work fine. I tried to convert the video using VLC, but it only converted the first 2 seconds before failing. Again, by quickly scrubbing forward, I was able to convert 10-45 seconds. But this didn't really solve my issue.

The video contains confidential information, so I cannot share it. However, I have a VLC log I can share.

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Feels Good Man 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried reencoding it using Avidemux, Handbrake or any other program?
    --[----->+<]>.++++++++++++.---.--------.
    [*drm mass downloader: widefrog*]~~~[*how to make your own mass downloader: guide*]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately I am using a work computer and I don't have access to those programs through my institution. And because it is confidential material, I can't transfer the file to a personal computer to work on it there.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Feels Good Man 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why can't you download and install them? How did you get VLC then? Was it pre-installed?
    --[----->+<]>.++++++++++++.---.--------.
    [*drm mass downloader: widefrog*]~~~[*how to make your own mass downloader: guide*]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi View Post
    Why can't you download and install them? How did you get VLC then? Was it pre-installed?
    I work for a large organization. I am not able to download any software myself. If I want software that didn't come pre-installed on my computer, I have to make a request through the IT department. These requests must first be approved by my manager and usually require me to write a "business justification". Further, there is a limited list of programs that I am able to request. VLC was one of those programs. Neither of the programs you mentioned are available to request.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wetsy23 View Post
    Hi there,

I have a question about an issue I am having with an MPEG file I am trying to edit in Adobe Premiere. Below is a summary of the problem I am having:

The file will not open with Window Media Player, Premiere or Photoshop.

It will open with VLC media player, but it only plays the first ~2 seconds of video. I can get around this, somewhat, by clicking around the timeline bar. When I scrub forward, it will play the video for 10-45 seconds before stopping again.

Adobe support suggested the problem could be with the video codec. The video was recorded with a surgical microscope, so it's possible that it is using some uncommon codec. However, I have several other videos recorded at the same time and by the same microscope that all work fine. I tried to convert the video using VLC, but it only converted the first 2 seconds before failing. Again, by quickly scrubbing forward, I was able to convert 10-45 seconds. But this didn't really solve my issue.

The video contains confidential information, so I cannot share it. However, I have a VLC log I can share.

Thanks for your help.
    1 - start VLC media player
    2 - click media
    3 - click convert/save
    4 - on the file tab click add and add your video file
    5 - click convert / save at the bottom
    6 - select video - H.264+mp3 (mp4) from the drop down menu
    7 - select the destination to save the new video file
    8 - click start to start converting the video
    once done try playing the video and see if it'll now play.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your detailed instructions.

I have tried this and it only converts the first 2 seconds of the video.

I have attached the VLC error log for the procedure you outlined.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wetsy23 View Post
    Thank you for your detailed instructions.

I have tried this and it only converts the first 2 seconds of the video.

I have attached the VLC error log for the procedure you outlined.
    in the drop down menu, try converting to VP80 + Vorbis (Webm) and see if the video will play.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    in the drop down menu, try converting to VP80 + Vorbis (Webm) and see if the video will play.
    Same issue as before.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like the file is corrupt. Could use mediainfo to see what it says about the file
    Quote Quote