VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it normal for the sound of the static screen from a tape to carry over for a brief moment? The one I have theres this low frequency thumping sound from the static screen that carries over into the footage I have samples both video and audio attached.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My ageing ears detect the thumping continuing to the end of the clip, although I could be mistaken.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    My ageing ears detect the thumping continuing to the end of the clip, although I could be mistaken.
    Well yes it does but this is part of the whole video so its not long. The actual video is like 2 hours so this is a segment of it that runs from that static screen up to like maybe 10 - 15 seconds into the footage.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ghosts in the machine
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by whatastory
    Well yes it does but this is part of the whole video so its not long.
    You said it was for a "brief moment".

Go to a quiet part of the video further along the movie. I reckon you'll still hear that thumping. I think it's a system sound.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by whatastory
    Well yes it does but this is part of the whole video so its not long.
    You said it was for a "brief moment".

Go to a quiet part of the video further along the movie. I reckon you'll still hear that thumping. I think it's a system sound.
    Yes its for a brief moment after that black and white screen shows up. Its just this weird phenomenon that occurs that I dont really know what is happening, so I was just curious if its avoidable or if its basically just there as part of the many imperfections of analog. As for the quiet part, I don't usually hear it. If it really is there its very faint enough that it blends into the background, but it is loudest after that black and white static screen.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can hear it because there's no other sound; when the audio comes in, the thumping is smothered. As I say, I think it's a system sound; it's not part of the recording or static, per se. I'm thinking that I may have heard that type of noise before. You can see it on the timeline:

[Attachment 77046 - Click to enlarge]

IMO your only options are to either zero the volume until the soundtrack starts or crop the start/static off.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 15th Feb 2024 at 21:19.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try routing your audio through your (motherboard) sound card (or through your digitiser; you don't say how you have actually captured the sound).
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't care about about a little noise,is it that distracting?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another test you could do. Given that you say the thumping comes through when you're playing the static, connect your digitiser, start up your capture program, but leave the video source eg VCR video and audio disconnected. You will probably have a blue screen. Do you hear any thumping?

Next, connect your VCR video and audio. You'll probably have a static-noise screen (based on your video above). Any thumping?

Lastly, press Play on the VCR. Any thumping before the audio starts?

Another: with the VCR audio disconnected, do a recording and play it. You'll obviously have no soundtrack, but if you have thumping, my bet is that it's coming out of your system, not the VCR/tape.

Originally Posted by Johnsi
    I wouldn't care about about a little noise,is it that distracting?
    That thumping would drive me mad in short order.
    Quote Quote