VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I am hoping someone can give me some advice to solve this issue!

I have a Song HVR-V1U camera that I have had no issues with transferring footage from using to Firewire to Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 method. Today I took some footage and went to go capture it on my laptop... I ran into some issues, was finally able to see that the computer is recognizing the input... but HDVSplit will NOT detect my camera. I opened WinDV just to check and... it's working on there. Which makes NO SENSE because I am trying to transfer HDV footage.

Does anyone have ANY idea of what I can do? I already tried re-downloading and it doesn't work. Does anyone have any idea of a different software I might be able to use?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I opened WinDV just to check and... it's working on there.
    Could you expand on "working". Does this mean you are able to transfer video or just that your camera is listed in the Video Source droplist?

I'm not familiar with the V1U but my HV20 shows what tape format is being played in the monitor; it will say DV or HDV. It will obviously have to say "HDV" for HDVSplit to function. Could the tape being played be a tape recorded in DV mode?

My WinDV died some time ago but Scenalyzer will "see" my HV20 even when it is in HDV mode: it's shown as "Canon HV20". Of course, it won't actually transfer.. When my HV20 is in DV mode, it show up in Scenalyzer as "Microsoft Camera/VCR" and it will transfer. Exactly what is shown in WinDV might provide a clue.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello,
    when I say 'working' I mean that I was actually able to transfer video (but very low quality) when I tried using WinDV. I just checked the camera and it says 1080i on the playback screen so it's definitely HDV. I also recorded it on HDV tapes.

Edit: Just opened Scenalyzer Live and it's showing up as 'Microsoft Camera/VCR'... this is very strange.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    This is a camcorder setting, try automatic or set to HDV output manually.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I solved the problem! It was a camera settings issue!!

The solution: make sure the i.LINK conversion setting is put to 'Off'. For some reason mine was on and that was the problem!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Weird. In my experience, the DV transfer programs (WinDV, Scenalyzer) will just not transfer if the camera is in HDV mode or the tape recording is HDV.

I'm interested to know if Dellsam's suggestion works.

I also recorded it on HDV tapes.
    MiniDV tapes are just tapes; there are no "HDV" or "DV" tapes. Both DV and HDV are recorded onto the same type/form factor of tape. It's the signal that is recorded onto the tape that is different.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good oh.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    My suggestion was what he did exactly, disable DV out or set it to automatic so it will switch to either DV or HDV based on the tape content, but the auto mode could be problematic if tapes have mixed recordings.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Mini DV tapes are just tapes; there are no "HDV" or "DV" tapes. Both DV and HDV are recorded onto the same type/form factor of tape. It's the signal that is recorded onto the tape that is different.
    There are HDV tapes but they are the same as DV despite that Sony marketing tried to claim they were different.

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by Alwyn; 12th Feb 2024 at 02:46.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    HDV labeled tapes made back then were slightly better for both DV and HDV recordings, I tested them back in early 2000's with my then the Sony FX1 and later a Sony consumer one and the regular tapes exhibited occasional drop outs but the HDV premium ones had no dropouts, Did I buy them at premium price of $35 a tape? no, Did I use a lot of them? no.
    Quote Quote