VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. hello, i know there is a way to get subtitles from my satallite tv provider , but i don't know how
    anyone know the way ?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by benhouli View Post
    hello, i know there is a way to get subtitles from my satallite tv provider , but i don't know how
    anyone know the way ?
    thanks
    Is the source DVB-T? If you have files containing unencrypted recordings of the satellite broadcasts with the subtitles that you want you can probably extract them. You could try Cypheros TSDoctor to see if it works for what you want to do. It has a free trial so you can see what it can do before you buy. https://www.cypheros.de/eng/tsdoc4_specs.html#Specs contains information about what the software can process.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The way I do it with my Beyonwiz PVR, its DVB-T and unencoded, just drop the file into mkvtoolnix to make a MKV file, which I save onto my NAS. If there are any subs and I want to extract them I use Inviska MKV Extract.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. lol, benhouli asks about DVB-S or DVB-C, and you both write on DVB-T. Can be similar but not always.

@benhouli more info is needed: what satellite, what means "get": display on your tv (> read tv manual) or extract from the stream, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does not matter if DVB-S, DVB-T or DVB-C, the transport stream format is the same.

Just use TSDoctor as suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by noemi7 View Post
    lol, benhouli asks about DVB-S or DVB-C, and you both write on DVB-T. Can be similar but not always.

@benhouli more info is needed: what satellite, what means "get": display on your tv (> read tv manual) or extract from the stream, etc.

the satellite network here in israel called YES....
    and yes , i am talking about the extract option...
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noemi7 View Post
    lol, benhouli asks about DVB-S or DVB-C, and you both write on DVB-T. Can be similar but not always.

Apparently, I had a brief mental lapse but as lollo wrote, TS-Doctor works for transport streams from satellite broadcasts too, as long as the recording is not encrypted.

The USA uses ATSC 1.0/ATSC 3.0 for free terrestrial TV broadcasts and a similar QAM format for cable. From the small amount of testing I have done, TS-Doctor works for their transport streams too (as long as the recordings are not encrypted) except for extracting subtitles/closed captions.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Apparently, I had a brief mental lapse but as lollo wrote, TS-Doctor works for transport streams from satellite broadcasts too, as long as the recording is not encrypted.

The USA uses ATSC 1.0/ATSC 3.0 for free terrestrial TV broadcasts and a similar QAM format for cable. From the small amount of testing I have done, TS-Doctor works for their transport streams too (as long as the recordings are not encrypted) except for extracting subtitles/closed captions.

i think that the recording is encrypted , but how do i check ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Transfer a copy of a recording that has subtitles that you want to save to a USB flash drive. Try to play the file with your computer using VLC, which plays most types of video. If the file plays, then it isn't encrypted. If it doesn't play, try to open the file using MediaInfo. If MediInfo reports that the file is encrypted, then you have your answer.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Transfer a copy of a recording that has subtitles that you want to save to a USB flash drive. Try to play the file with your computer using VLC, which plays most types of video. If the file plays, then it isn't encrypted. If it doesn't play, try to open the file using MediaInfo. If MediInfo reports that the file is encrypted, then you have your answer.
    i am missing here something , i watch in 2 ways now ...

1.Satellite receiver via satellite cable
    2.Xiaomi TV Box S 2nd Gen via internet....

from the satellite receiver i believe it's encrypted for sure...
    from the xiaomi tv box streamer , i don't know where the satellite app save the recordings....
    Quote Quote  
  11. You need to copy your recordings to a PC to extract subtitles using (free) ffmpeg and/or MKVToolnix. Like usually_quiet wrote, if the file is encrypted then it won't be playable outside your sat box. Such encrypted recording is impossible to crack. The only option would be to re-record it on PC.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by noemi7 View Post
    You need to copy your recordings to a PC to extract subtitles using (free) ffmpeg and/or MKVToolnix. Like usually_quiet wrote, if the file is encrypted then it won't be playable outside your sat box. Such encrypted recording is impossible to crack. The only option would be to re-record it on PC.

i have a capture card ... but it's record hard sub and not seperate files the recording files are mp4 , don't know if it's matter
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a capture card ... but it's record hard sub and not seperate files the recording files are mp4 , don't know if it's matter
    If you don't have an unencrypted original recording from the satellite box then you can't easily extract the subtitles.

I have not used this type of software but I think some apps exist that can process the hard subs using optical character recognition to generate text. However, the accuracy of the results is unlikely to be perfect.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Feb 2024 at 15:46. Reason: Paragraph spacing
    Quote Quote  
  14. If I'm right mp4 container doesn't support PGS subtitles hence it makes them hardcoded thus even more difficult to OCR. Subtitle Edit is free and one of the best to check in this matter.

To make your life easier would be to buy a sat tuner which doesn't encrypt recordings, and catches whole stream into TS container. The question is then if it's possible as some sat cards and CAM module are paired with the tuner/box delivered by the TV service provider.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I'm right mp4 container doesn't support PGS subtitles hence it makes them hardcoded thus even more difficult to OCR. Subtitle Edit is free and one of the best to check in this matter.
    Read this:
    In this case, subtitles can only be provided as hard subs regardless of the container used. Neither HDMI connections nor analog video connections have the ability to provide DVB subtitle streams so it doesn't matter what container benhouli uses to store the output from a capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  16. thank you both for the answers,
    by the way , i use an iptv service too , and there the subtitles is hidden till i choose them
    i tried to make something via vlc ...
    i got this info from mediainfo
    can it help me ?

General
    ID : 27121 (0x69F1)
    Complete name : C:\Users\User\Downloads\vlc-record-2024-02-13-23h25m49s-yes TV Comedy -.ts
    Format : MPEG-TS
    File size : 375 MiB
    Duration : 23 min 13 s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 2 258 kb/s

Video
    ID : 100 (0x64)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L4
    Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, Reference : 4 frames
    Codec ID : 27
    Bit rate : 1 758 kb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Standard : Component
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan type, store method : Separated fields
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.034
    Stream size : 292 MiB (78%)
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
    ID : 200 (0xC8)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Commercial name : Dolby Digital
    Codec ID : 6
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 384 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 5 channels
    Channel layout : L R C Ls Rs
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -200 ms
    Stream size : 63.8 MiB (17%)
    Language : English
    Service kind : Complete Main

Text
    ID : 300 (0x12C)
    Format : DVB Subtitle
    Codec ID : 6
    Duration : 22 min 49 s
    Delay relative to video : 13 s 680 ms
    Language : Hebrew

Menu
    ID : 32 (0x20)
    List : 200 (0xC8) (AC-3, English) / 100 (0x64) (AVC) / 300 (0x12C) (DVB Subtitle, Hebrew)
    Language : English / / Hebrew
    Service type : advanced codec HD digital television
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you both for the answers,
    by the way , i use an iptv service too , and there the subtitles is hidden till i choose them
    can it help me ?
    You have a TS file created using VLC's record function. I assume that you have successfully played that TS file. MediaInfo did not report that the file is encrypted. The TS file has DVB subtitles. I'd say that the chances that you can extract the subtitles using the trial version of TS-Doctor are very good (TS-Doctor can also edit TS files if you need to do that.). ...or you can try the other methods suggested to you that use free, open-source software.

Unfortunately, since I don't live in a country that uses DVB, I have no experience with DVB subtitles. Others who responded to this thread probably know more about converting DVB subtitles into some other type of subtitle, such as SRT subtitles or SUB/IDX.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    thank you both for the answers,
    can it help me ?
    You have a TS file created using VLC's record function. I assume that you have successfully played that TS file. MediaInfo did not report that the file is encrypted. The TS file has DVB subtitles. I'd say that the chances that you can extract the subtitles using the trial version of TS-Doctor are very good (TS-Doctor can also edit TS files if you need to do that.). ...or you can try the other methods suggested to you that use free, open-source software.

Unfortunately, since I don't live in a country that uses DVB, I have no experience with DVB subtitles. Others who responded to this thread probably know more about converting DVB subtitles into some other type of subtitle, such as SRT subtitles or SUB/IDX.

thank you for all the info and helping... i will try ts doctor..

edit : ts doctor still want me to use ocr for the convert... and it's a lot of more to learn how to do it

but it seems to be the only way ? right ?
    Last edited by benhouli; 14th Feb 2024 at 12:38.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM

edit : ts doctor still want me to use ocr for the convert... and it's a lot of more to learn how to do it

Unfortunately, it is the only way if you need SRT or other text-based subtitles because DVB subs like DVD subs and Blu-ray subs are graphics-based, not text-based. ...but OCR might work better in this case than with hard subs because the background isn't complex.

If you can use graphics-based subs perhaps someone can suggest the best format and conversion tool for them. Since I work with US closed captions, which are closer to being text-based, I don't know what to recommend.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Unfortunately, it is the only way if you need SRT or other text-based subtitles because DVB subs like DVD subs and Blu-ray subs are graphics-based, not text-based. ...but OCR might work better in this case than with hard subs because the background isn't complex.

If you can use graphics-based subs perhaps someone can suggest the best format and conversion tool for them. Since I work with US closed captions, which are closer to being text-based, I don't know what to recommend.
    ok, then now i succeed to save it on srt file , but it's a bit out of sync, seems to be too much work if i want to do it with episode of 11 seasons with 22-23 chapters....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have Subtitle Edit? Available here under Tools
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Unfortunately, it is the only way if you need SRT or other text-based subtitles because DVB subs like DVD subs and Blu-ray subs are graphics-based, not text-based.
    Nope, they are also in text format, and more over a DVB-S and DVB-T stream can contain both types. It depends on national or regional standard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a subtitle file from my DVB terrestrial tuner after dropping the original TS file into mkvtoolnix to convert to mkv. It also converts the DVB subtitle to SRT in the process. So easily extracted.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Unfortunately, it is the only way if you need SRT or other text-based subtitles because DVB subs like DVD subs and Blu-ray subs are graphics-based, not text-based.
    Nope, they are also in text format, and more over a DVB-S and DVB-T stream can contain both types. It depends on national or regional standard.
    Good to know but benhouli only has the graphics-based type available to him in his sample file. Since you know all the pertinent facts about DVB-T, DVB-S, DVB-C, and DVB subtitles you should be able to offer benhouli some useful advice regarding the appropriate tools and subtitle formats to use for converting DVB subs to be more suitable for his use.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Here is a subtitle file from my DVB terrestrial tuner after dropping the original TS file into mkvtoolnix to convert to mkv. It also converts the DVB subtitle to SRT in the process. So easily extracted.
    I looked at your MediaInfo report. It says "Format: Teletext Subtitle" I'd guess that "Teletext Subtitle" indicates text-based subs. If your sample file's DVB subs are text-based, then they should be easier to convert to SRT format than the graphic-based type. ...or am I misinterpreting the MediaInfo Report that you posted?

The MediaInfo report for benhouli's VLC record sample has the words "Format : DVB Subtitle" and his subs are graphics-based.
    Quote Quote  
  26. by the way , after i succeed to save the dvbsubtitle to srt file . it's out of sync , and on subtitle workshop it's open like this...
    [Attachment 77027 - Click to enlarge]

while it should be hebrew letters...
    i tried to fix it with subtitle edit, but still no luck
    Quote Quote  
  27. Feels Good Man 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you upload the video somewhere so others could take a look at those graphics based subtitles?
    --[----->+<]>.++++++++++++.---.--------.
    [*drm mass downloader: widefrog*]~~~[*how to make your own mass downloader: guide*]
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi View Post
    Can you upload the video somewhere so others could take a look at those graphics based subtitles?
    yes... this is the video
    thanks everyone

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u8IdiQ6AQRQnC4AjaPi0eqdIQ26ifDi1/view?usp=sharing
    Quote Quote  
  29. Feels Good Man 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is this acceptable/decent enough? I don't know hebrew so I only compared the characters visually. There will never be 100% accuracy unless you write it by hand.

output.srt
    --[----->+<]>.++++++++++++.---.--------.
    [*drm mass downloader: widefrog*]~~~[*how to make your own mass downloader: guide*]
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi View Post
    Is this acceptable/decent enough? I don't know hebrew so I only compared the characters visually. There will never be 100% accuracy unless you write it by hand.

[Attachment 77030 - Click to enlarge]

thank you for the help... the problem i can't run it on subtitle workshop... i get an error... any idea why or how to fix it ?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	77031  

Quote Quote