VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am in the deep end, way out of my comfort zone. I've tried to apply some previous knowledge gained here to fix up this piece of video that is obviously a (poor) cine capture. I don't have the time to plough through VideoFred's restoration but any improvement at all would be greatly appreciated. The cine is not available.

I have tried a couple of different SRestore modes, as well as experiment with TFM and TDecimate, to no avail.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

PS: I do realise the levels are a bit off.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Something like this works fairly well:

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("Wedding.avi") 
    AssumeTFF()
    QTGMC(preset="fast")
    SRestore(frate=16.67)
    Crop(8,0,-8,-0)
    prefetch(8)
    After QTGMC you have 50 fps. Stepping through that you see clear unique frames about every third frame, with the others being blends of those clear frames. So SRestore should be set to 50/3, ~16.67. There are still a few duplicate frames after this so a slightly lower rate may be called for. A problem here is that you have tearing as well as blending. So SRestore chooses the wrong frames on occasion.

<edit>
    After the above script, seeing obvious duplicates 30 frames apart I tried reducing the frame rate by 1/30 (50/3)*29/30 = 16.11. That worked even better. 16.11 fps version attached.
    </edit>
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Feb 2024 at 10:10.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent Jagabo, thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I added the RIFE code you gave me before and it smoothed out the movement really nicely.

Code:
    SetFilterMTMode("DEFAULT_MT_MODE", 2)
    avisource("K:\Anne's Wedding\Anne Wedding Sanyo ES DVK GV(20240210-1653).avi")
    ConvertToYV12()
    AssumeTFF
    QTGMC(preset="fast")

SRestore(frate=16.11)

z_ConvertFormat(pixel_type="RGBPS", colorspace_op="709:709:709:l=>rgb:709:709:f") # RIFE only works with RGB floats
    Rife(gpu_thread=1, model=9, fps_num=25000, fps_den=1000, sc=true, sc_threshold=0.12) # motion interpolate to 25 fps
    z_ConvertFormat(pixel_type="YUV420P8", colorspace_op="rgb:709:709:f=>709:709:709:l") # back to YV12

Crop(8,0,-8,-0)
    Prefetch(20)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. 25 fps is ok if you want the jerky flickery film look. If you want really smooth movement (on a 50 Hz display) go to 50 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even better. Hard to get 50Hz displays these days but 50fps looks great on my 60Hz monitor and of course on my 200Hz TV.
    Quote Quote