VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    How do I resize images without losing quality?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You don't, not counting simple integer changes that can be completely reverseable (e.g. line doubling).

ALL other forms use interpolation/extrapolation which are guesses. Guesses are never exact and are blends, so you are losing quality.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. And the other limited case /exception are vector images , which can scale without loss
    Quote Quote  
  4. Imagine image 2x2, your original,

first you resize it using Bicubic resize to 8x8, new pixels are created with different colors, it is in no way same as original, but you might say it looks better. But same thing could actually do a web browser resizer or mediaplayer resizer. Why to make it bigger. Only you want to enhance something, maybe.

than you resize to 8x8 but using Point (nearest) resize, You make image 16 times bigger but no new information is made, in theory, colors are the same but it makes no sense
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8x8 bicubic resize.png
Views:	14
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	76786  

Click image for larger version

Name:	8x8 point resize.png
Views:	12
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	76787  

Last edited by _Al_; 4th Feb 2024 at 20:20.
    Quote Quote  
  5. original 2x2
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    You don't,
    But ... but .... AI... and stuff.
    AI!
    AI I TELL YOU!
    Old MacDonald had a farm, AI AI O!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, @pdr, vectors. I just assumed things wouldn't devolve to that level. I do think that some future machine vision/AI codecs may be able to parametrically describe a video scene as objects, which could lead to great efficiency. But think of the encoding computation time!!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @_AI_, the test for those things is fidelity to the ground truth source (or what the gts would be if if was that size originally), so no I don't think you could say that's better.

Point resize works great for special cases of block graphics, but lots of other cases not so much.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post
    How do I resize images without losing quality?
    Resize is very wide term - if you resize image to be smaller then quality lost is unavoidable, if you resize image to be bigger then mathematical perfect formula is point resize (a.k.a. Nearest-neighbor interpolation) but it far from acceptable subjective quality - usually it give worst results.
    Quote Quote