VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I live in the US, I am going to buy a copy of Knight Rider 2008 and I am in Region 1 . The video is made for Region 2, can I rip it and will the video play correctly ? Or will it play at all? John
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    When it's taken from a DVD.....most modern televisions don't care whether it's NTSC or PAL.....it's just a video file once it's off of the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The ripped dvd will still be PAL. If you want to use a dvd player you will have to ensure that it supports PAL (unlike in Europe where players support NTSC but not Region 1). The ripping prosess should remove the region code.

However play the disk on your PC using vlc and it will play regardless of region code etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    You need a DVD drive that can switch to Region 2 to read the disc. Most drives allow to do it only 5 (yes, five) times, then they lock up. There are drives that can be re-set. This topic was hot 20 years ago. I think I still have a drive that is re-settable. Google for "DVD RPC" drivers and firmware for your DVD drive if you don't want it to be locked up. Another option is just to have two drives: one for Region 1, another for Region 2. But what would you do with South Asian or Australian DVD?

Many DVD players have a hidden menu to turn off region protection and to make them region-free. Google for your DVD player model. You can easily buy a region-free DVD player online for $30 or less, small clamshell-like DVD players have a renaissance of sorts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    You need a DVD drive that can switch to Region 2 to read the disc. Most drives allow to do it only 5 (yes, five) times
    No you don't. Opening ripping software BEFORE inserting the disc takes care of that problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recommend Makemkv to rip it to mkv file. It works great for these situations.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    You need a DVD drive that can switch to Region 2 to read the disc. Most drives allow to do it only 5 (yes, five) times
    No you don't. Opening ripping software BEFORE inserting the disc takes care of that problem.
    Interesting. Any software, any drive, any OS?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There was free "driver" software that took care of DVD regions.....do you really think that software designed
    to overcome Hollywood copy protections couldn't ignore a disc's region?
    DVDSrink allowed you to ASSIGN a region to a DVD copy it created.
    Grew up in America, have lived in Europe for 20 years. DVD regions was the least of our worries after working with VHS tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    There was free "driver" software that took care of DVD regions.....do you really think that software designed
    to overcome Hollywood copy protections couldn't ignore a disc's region?
    DVDSrink allowed you to ASSIGN a region to a DVD copy it created.
    Grew up in America, have lived in Europe for 20 years. DVD regions was the least of our worries after working with VHS tapes.
    This is not about assigning a region, this is about playing a disc from a certain region. If you have never installed drive-specific firmware onto drives switchable between regions, you had never had this issue. How many times have you alternated ripping DVD from different regions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How many times have you alternated ripping DVD from different regions?
    Just yesterday I ripped my NTSC Region 1 DVD of the ORIGINAL Midway DVD.....this time with MakeMKV.
    I've been doing this a very long time on two continents. I'm also a HUGE fan of Australian (region 4) music and movies.
    It's a PITA.....not brain surgery.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    Well, maybe you have an older RPC1 drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, maybe you have an older RPC1 drive.
    Nope. A relatively modern LiteOn set for Region 2
    https://www.amazon.com/Liteon-iHAS324-DVD-RW-Optical-Drive/dp/B002QGDWLK
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's a good drive, Heck. You can flash it so it sets the booktype of " +" disks to DVD-ROM. Anything can read them. I have three, but had to put them aside for Bluray.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    [Attachment 76838 - Click to enlarge]

MakeMKV in action with Midway DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    That's a good drive, Heck. You can flash it so it sets the booktype of " +" disks to DVD-ROM. Anything can read them. I have three, but had to put them aside for Bluray.
    I haven't burned a DVD for years.
    Quote Quote