VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. How can I fix this VHS shaky capture with software? I am not the one who captured this. The footage came from a DVD. A sample is linked below.

I tried Shotcut, Capcut, Openshot, and vhs-deshaker https://github.com/rsnitsch/vhs-deshaker . I had no good results.

I would be very grateful too if someone offered to stabilize this video themselves.

Sample - https://files.videohelp.com/u/302298/sample.mpg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That can't be fixed in software. The "fix" is a proper capture, using TBCs.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Deinterlaced in VDub, Neat Video Noise NR, Mercalli stabilised.

I would be very grateful too if someone offered to stabilize this video themselves.
    If you like mine, I'm happy to. If you don't like, I won't be offended!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Deinterlaced in VDub, Neat Video Noise NR, Mercalli stabilised.

If you like mine, I'm happy to. If you don't like, I won't be offended!
    That is good Sent a PM.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Deinterlaced in VDub, Neat Video Noise NR, Mercalli stabilised
    I was going to suggest Mercalli. I haven't upgraded mine in almost a decade. What version did you use? Also, did you enable any sort of rolling shutter compensation? Lordsmurf is probably right that this was caused by time base errors, and they can often produce the same effect as rolling shutter artifacts. In this case, the motion is not purely left to right with the same amount of movement at the top and bottom of the frame, but instead produces a little of the "tree in the wind" bending as the image goes back and forth.

I am simply wondering whether you might get just a little more correction by enabling the rolling shutter compensation.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Finished product verses original and comparison between Mercalli modes. This was using version 6 (the current version); all at default settings.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    The bottom one in the "Buzzcocks Follies - Mercalli Modes Compare.mp4" looks quite stable. It is soft, but the original is quite bad to begin with. But something has to be done with the horrible interline chroma or whatever it is, was it just one head recording chroma?
    Quote Quote