VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Thread
  1. How do I make image sequences of lossless AVIF and/or HEIC/HEIF files, as well as make lossless animated AVIF files? Which format is smaller, AVIF or HEIC/HEIF?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post

    How do I make image sequences of lossless AVIF and/or HEIC/HEIF files, as well as make lossless animated AVIF files? Which format is smaller, AVIF or HEIC/HEIF?
    Again why not video? I can understand single image - but if the usage case is image sequence, why not video instead - the filesize will be smaller

    What is the intended usage case ? Do you care about compatibility ?

    And you should start a new thread as AVIF or HEIF have nothing to do with PDF .
    All right, I'm just trying to save space, okay? Now, back to pdfs, how do I losslessly compress 8bit images into pdf files without losing any quality? Can ImageMagick and/or Acrobat do it?
    OK use video - problem solved!!!

    On average, temporal compression using the same pixel format and comparable compression method you would have used for still image will save about 10-40%.
    Ok so problem solved. Use video instead of image sequence. Temporal compression . Especially on things like Anime , which have many duplicate and similar frames . The more similarity between frames - the more gains you can receive from temporal compression



    For single images (and definitely larger overall filesizes when compare to the same thing in video format) :

    Compression depends source content. Sometimes one is better than the other

    I haven't used HEIF much because it's so poorly supported. FFmpeg doesn't even support yet (supposed to be coming), most browsers don't support it - basically only Safari. A single image format isn't that useful if you can see anything by trying to view it (or have to jump through hoops just to view or use it) . And in terms of sequences - compression wise - video is going to be better

    https://caniuse.com/avif
    https://caniuse.com/heif

    But you can use libheif for heif
    https://github.com/strukturag/libheif

    libavif for avif
    https://github.com/AOMediaCodec/libavif



    Sequentially numbered image sequences for AVIF are difficult right now, because there are some bugs in ffmpeg writing an avif image sequence (-f image2 muxer for avif has issues), and avifenc cannot do it yet. Avifenc puts image sequences in "AVIFS" it's basically similar to a iso base media (mp4) video container. Support for image sequences (what most people mean as image sequences - like img000.avif, image001.avif, etc...) is supposed to come for avifenc eventually

    Animated AVIF can be done with ffmpeg or avifenc

    CRF 0 is lossless for avif for all of it's supported pixel types ; libaom-av1 supports more pixel types than svt-av1
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post

    How do I make image sequences of lossless AVIF and/or HEIC/HEIF files, as well as make lossless animated AVIF files? Which format is smaller, AVIF or HEIC/HEIF?
    Again why not video? I can understand single image - but if the usage case is image sequence, why not video instead - the filesize will be smaller

    What is the intended usage case ? Do you care about compatibility ?

    And you should start a new thread as AVIF or HEIF have nothing to do with PDF .
    All right, I'm just trying to save space, okay? Now, back to pdfs, how do I losslessly compress 8bit images into pdf files without losing any quality? Can ImageMagick and/or Acrobat do it?
    OK use video - problem solved!!!

    On average, temporal compression using the same pixel format and comparable compression method you would have used for still image will save about 10-40%.
    Ok so problem solved. Use video instead of image sequence. Temporal compression . Especially on things like Anime , which have many duplicate and similar frames . The more similarity between frames - the more gains you can receive from temporal compression



    For single images (and definitely larger overall filesizes when compare to the same thing in video format) :

    Compression depends source content. Sometimes one is better than the other

    I haven't used HEIF much because it's so poorly supported. FFmpeg doesn't even support yet (supposed to be coming), most browsers don't support it - basically only Safari. A single image format isn't that useful if you can see anything by trying to view it (or have to jump through hoops just to view or use it) . And in terms of sequences - compression wise - video is going to be better

    https://caniuse.com/avif
    https://caniuse.com/heif

    But you can use libheif for heif
    https://github.com/strukturag/libheif

    libavif for avif
    https://github.com/AOMediaCodec/libavif



    Sequentially numbered image sequences for AVIF are difficult right now, because there are some bugs in ffmpeg writing an avif image sequence (-f image2 muxer for avif has issues), and avifenc cannot do it yet. Avifenc puts image sequences in "AVIFS" it's basically similar to a iso base media (mp4) video container. Support for image sequences (what most people mean as image sequences - like img000.avif, image001.avif, etc...) is supposed to come for avifenc eventually

    Animated AVIF can be done with ffmpeg or avifenc

    CRF 0 is lossless for avif for all of it's supported pixel types ; libaom-av1 supports more pixel types than svt-av1
    What is the command line for those things?

    Also, I found out that jpeg xl does support YUV, how do I put them in a pdf files without losing quality?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post

    What is the command line for those things?
    Look at the help file for full instructions

    For avifenc look at the instructions in the help file for the options, for lossless, the main one is --lossless . For lossless YUV you would need Y4M input. Pipe in works, but only for 1 image - so you could pipe ffmpeg to avifenc . They plan on supporting sequences eventually . But using video with the same AV1 compression for a sequence would be much smaller anyways - because of temporal compression - so image sequences are not very useful

    Code:
    avifenc [options] input.[jpg|jpeg|png|y4m] output.avif
    For ffmpeg , use libaom-av1, because it support more pixel types . Look at the options . -cpu-used is the main one for speed/compression tradeoff

    Code:
    ffmpeg -i <input> -c:v libaom-av1 -crf 0 <output.avif>
    You should be able to make image sequence using -f image2 , but something is broken in the output currently, maybe headers, but it should be

    Code:
    ffmpeg -i <input> -c:v libaom-av1 -crf 0 -start_number 0 -f image2 <output>_%05d.avif


    There might be some GUIs for these, you can search



    Also, I found out that jpeg xl does support YUV, how do I put them in a pdf files without losing quality?
    JPEG-XL is currently not supported in PDF. Even if it was supported, PDF would just make it larger. PDF adds extra overhead. Anything you put in a PDF gets bigger, compared to the same thing outside of a PDF
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post

    What is the command line for those things?
    Look at the help file for full instructions

    For avifenc look at the instructions in the help file for the options, for lossless, the main one is --lossless . For lossless YUV you would need Y4M input. Pipe in works, but only for 1 image - so you could pipe ffmpeg to avifenc . They plan on supporting sequences eventually . But using video with the same AV1 compression for a sequence would be much smaller anyways - because of temporal compression - so image sequences are not very useful

    Code:
    avifenc [options] input.[jpg|jpeg|png|y4m] output.avif
    For ffmpeg , use libaom-av1, because it support more pixel types . Look at the options . -cpu-used is the main one for speed/compression tradeoff

    Code:
    ffmpeg -i <input> -c:v libaom-av1 -crf 0 <output.avif>
    You should be able to make image sequence using -f image2 , but something is broken in the output currently, maybe headers, but it should be

    Code:
    ffmpeg -i <input> -c:v libaom-av1 -crf 0 -start_number 0 -f image2 <output>_%05d.avif


    There might be some GUIs for these, you can search



    Also, I found out that jpeg xl does support YUV, how do I put them in a pdf files without losing quality?
    JPEG-XL is currently not supported in PDF. Even if it was supported, PDF would just make it larger. PDF adds extra overhead. Anything you put in a PDF gets bigger, compared to the same thing outside of a PDF
    I converted a video to an animated avif but it was unable to open in XnViewMP. How do I fix that?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post

    I converted a video to an animated avif but it was unable to open in XnViewMP. How do I fix that?
    You can ask a developer to add the feature . XnViewMP does not support animated AVIF

    https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=42699

    Browsers support it, you might have to enable the avif animation support in the browser settings
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads

Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!