VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I'm attempting to convert HD videos to Xvid/AVI using MeGUI, with a target resolution of 720x480. I aim to achieve good video quality while maintaining a reasonable conversion speed. I have a few questions about optimal settings:

Motion Search Precision: The program defaults is 6 - High Quality. Should I reduce this setting to speed up the conversion? What would be recommended settings to maintain good quality?

Resize Filter: Considering the default use of Lanczos, would using Bicubic (Neutral) as the resize filter be a suitable alternative for a resolution of 720x480?

Other Recommended Settings: Are there other crucial settings I should take into consideration to optimize video quality and speed up conversion at 720x480?

I appreciate any advice and experiences you can share regarding this conversion process. Thanks in advance for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Xvid, as MPEG4-ASP codec, takes so little efforts, it will be much faster than x264 or even x265 and AV1 in any realistic setup.

MSP: Leave it at 6, there is no reason to go lower.

Quality preset: You can enable VHQ limited or medium search range and HVS metric for slightly better quality. In a 2-pass encoding to reach a desired target size, enable "Turbo" for the 1st pass (only).

Resize: Lanczos is an algorithm with a sharpening side effect which may cause more ringing artifacts; I would recommend a neutral bicubic filter, or alternatively Spline16, for downscaling.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by yomle View Post
    I'm attempting to convert HD videos to Xvid/AVI using MeGUI, with a target resolution of 720x480.
    Why 720x480 ?
    Quote Quote