VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a VHS that I'd like to capture. I've read a number of different reviews and forum posts about the different options available; and it's safe to say I'm very much out of my depth. It seems a lot of the affordable and reliable analog conversion workflows are not readily available at the moment; and I have just enough knowledge to know I have a limited technical understanding. I thought I could trouble the fine forum members here for some advice or recommendations.

To begin with, I'd like to describe what I'd like to convert:

I have a PAL 625-line VHS, from a small British film-maker from ~1989. This is the only copy that I know of. It looks to be produced for a local distribution rather than nationally. It holds some historic relevance. It's length is only about 30-minutes.

I do have some other VHS tapes that I would consider capturing, but these are secondary.

I think as a goal, I'd like do a good job of capturing, so that I could consider performing restorations as necessary.

Unlike many here, I don't have 100s of tapes; so I'm not sure the best course. But, I'd like to do the best I can.

My kit is....lacking. I know the most important piece is a decent VHS player.
    Currently, I only have an old Bush Video-DVD-combi DVHS4. It was cheap at the time, and only has composite out.
    I don't have any capture devices.
    On the Computer front:
    I have an aging MacBook Pro Mid-2015. 2.5Ghz Quad-Core i7. RAM:16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Or a newer PC: Win11 - 2.30 GHz, i7-12700H, 32GB RAM

I'm relatively technically savvy, so happy to tinker with applications like VirtualDub.

I think it's safe to say: I'm missing all of the kit that would be good for the job.
    Budget-wise, I'd struggle to justify more then £200 at the moment; although it would be nice to be ready for any future endeavors.

Initially, I was considering picking up a usb3hdcap, or going down the 2nd hand ADVC route. Initially, using my existing VCR before justifying an upgrade.

Given the small number of VHS I want to capture, I wonder if it might be better ask (pay) an expert to do it for me. I'm a little reluctant to do that without seeking some recommendations though. I have a feeling that most of those 'services' you see advertised are probably using click-and-go USB dongles. I think a clue that they're offering to "convert your old videos into mp4" may be indicative; it's a container format, so they're not telling me much.

I appreciate any help or advice anyone's willing to give to get me started. Much obliged!
    Last edited by Decar; 30th Jan 2024 at 07:44.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes, in your case it is better to have someone do the job for you, If you are in the UK contact Colin from Video99.co.uk. The VCR alone could cost you 3 times what you are going to pay for this job.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Wonderful! When I realized my VCR was ...what it was... I thought it would be better to support an expert. Colin's site looks great and demonstrates a high level of competence. Thanks for you help dellsam34.
    Quote Quote