VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My Waterfox Browser updated to the latest version today. Usually this is a good thing; but in this case it isn't. The Browser settings you had set yourself are gone and when you go through the process of setting it up again the way you want when you close the Browser and come back in have went back to default. I tried several times and it just has become a frustrating Browser to use. I have backed up my bookmarks and I am going to uninstall this Waterfox and I am going to go back to the previous version and try to shut off automatic update. The support page goes to a 404 page. I really like Waterfox both Classic and this Other Waterfox.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    My Waterfox Browser updated to the latest version today. Usually this is a good thing; but in this case it isn't. The Browser settings you had set yourself are gone and when you go through the process of setting it up again the way you want when you close the Browser and come back in have went back to default. I tried several times and it just has become a frustrating Browser to use. I have backed up my bookmarks and I am going to uninstall this Waterfox and I am going to go back to the previous version and try to shut off automatic update. The support page goes to a 404 page. I really like Waterfox both Classic and this Other Waterfox.
    Ouch, thanks for the warning, ive seen it happen such things with both programs and browser where the selected settings is gone after using automatic updates, i tend to allways try figure out how to disable them, atleast if im going to use them i want to be well prepared for any disasters similar to your issue! Ive been using Waterfox G6.0.7 (64bit) aswell and my settings are saved and still active after i restart the browser im surprised over how many high value settings and functions it has, even the Firefox addons is working for the Waterfox browser allso, it was even possible to just drag an drop videos such as WebM (VP8), MP4 (H.264) and MOV (H.264) directly onto the browser to play the videos with the built in video player, allso it was possible to add the local file path to the video in the adress bar to just play it directly from the hdd! And not to mention the free browser themes are looking great!

Edit: Since this is an Video Forum the Waterfox browser allso have built in H.264 Video Codec and Content Decryption Module which enables playback of encrypted media!
    Last edited by Swedaniel; 22nd Jan 2024 at 09:16.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Swedaniel: It may be more of a Windows 7 problem and version G6.07 is the version where the problems have occurred for me on the Windows 7 desktop. I still prefer browsing quite a bit on my Windows 7 computer. It is just awful what has happened on each launch of the browser it says welcome to Waterfox and it wants you to go through the set up all over again. I did downgrade to G6.06 and it doesn't matter it didn't help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Swedaniel: It may be more of a Windows 7 problem and version G6.07 is the version where the problems have occurred for me on the Windows 7 desktop. I still prefer browsing quite a bit on my Windows 7 computer. It is just awful what has happened on each launch of the browser it says welcome to Waterfox and it wants you to go through the set up all over again. I did downgrade to G6.06 and it doesn't matter it didn't help.
    Have you tried right click the Waterfox browser launcher and select "Run as administrator", maybe some sort of folder protection have been activated from Windows 7 which prevent Waterfox to save the settings, might help with the Administrator priveleges then!

It is not totaly impossible that an folder security function within Windows prevent the update to proceed and complete fully for it is designed to prevent such things if an Virus or Malware try to spread thru your system the protection is designed to prevent such things! Maybe it work better if you install the G.6.0.7 separately and select to run the installer as administrator to get full priveleges! Same thing with the settings, if an malware or virus try change your settings the design is to prevent such things, maybe this help solve the issue!
    Last edited by Swedaniel; 22nd Jan 2024 at 10:10.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Swedaniel: Thank you for this additional information. I uninstalled it and it took my Waterfox Classic with it when it uninstalled. On my Windows 11 Mini PC Waterfox is fine and mostly respects my settings. I think the problem is that part of Waterfox is not liking Windows 7 and I noticed when reinstalling it that there was a "check default browser.exe" comes along with it. I tried an even older version of the browser and I think the creator has put whatever is causing this problem in the older versions as well.

Waterfox Classic is working fine but I really shouldn't use it as it could be exploited as it is so old. I will try to find a new browser that is a Firefox fork. I really did like Firefox and I will use it on the Windows 11 computer.

Thankfully Firefox has extended itself for Windows 7 users but that will probably end at some point. If I was wise I would just keep this Windows 7 off the internet. I don't mind Windows 11 but I just hate I had to set up an Microsoft Account and it just doesn't make me feel comfortable as to how much information websites are getting.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I tried several other Firefox Forks and none of them made the cut. I got Palemoon to work so I have that as an additional browser.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I tried several other Firefox Forks and none of them made the cut. I got Palemoon to work so I have that as an additional browser.
    Ok, sound cool, i stopped using Firefox and Mozilla many years ago but now im back using Cyberfox and Waterfox! Allso i use K-Meleon some and Google Chrome! I'll have to check in on the Palemoon some as ive never used it!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Swedaniel View Post
    I tried several other Firefox Forks and none of them made the cut. I got Palemoon to work so I have that as an additional browser.
    Ok, sound cool, i stopped using Firefox and Mozilla many years ago but now im back using Cyberfox and Waterfox! Allso i use K-Meleon some and Google Chrome! I'll have to check in on the Palemoon some as ive never used it!
    try using the refresh button in waterfox - https://github.com/WaterfoxCo/Waterfox/issues/390
    Quote Quote  
  9. october262: Thank you for this information.
    Quote Quote  
  10. october262: I did the refresh and also my computer decided it need to do check disk and now Waterfox is working the way I want it to. It is nice to have options. Thank you for the information you provided.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    october262: I did the refresh and also my computer decided it need to do check disk and now Waterfox is working the way I want it to. It is nice to have options.
    Welcome back to the Waterfox team !
    Quote Quote