VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What are some frame-by-frame video cutters that support and keep subtitles after cutting, and can encode them to lossless video codecs?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post
    What are some frame-by-frame video cutters that support and keep subtitles after cutting, and can encode them to lossless video codecs?
    As far as I know, all but one form of subtitling must be edited separately from the video and audio using a subtitle editor. EIA-608 closed captioning (used in North America and (I think) Korea) is the one exception I am aware of, and most video editing software strips them when exporting the edited video. The only video editors I have used that preserve them are VideoReDo (no longer available for sale) and TS-Doctor (only for editing video and audio in a TS container).
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Can LosslessCut encode videos to lossless formats?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can LosslessCut encode videos to lossless formats?
    The version I have installed is over a year old, but as far as I can see,
    it doesn't encode at all, it copies the stream to compatible containers, with the bonus of
    having a "smart" capability for the start and end when the source cut point is not on an "I" frame
    Quote Quote  
  5. Can mpv and ffmpeg do it, then? How do you get a video preview for the latter while doing it?
    Last edited by Mr. Fanservice; 20th Jan 2024 at 17:04.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can mpv and ffmpeg do it, then? How do you get a video preview for the latter while doing it?
    I don't know, I'm not familiar with mpv.
    Can't you just use vdub2? See the in and out cut points, set video compression to a lossless format (eg. ffv1) and encode
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Can mpv and ffmpeg do it, then? How do you get a video preview for the latter while doing it?
    Can't you just use vdub2? See the in and out cut points, set video compression to a lossless format (eg. ffv1) and encode
    It doesn't support subtitles. Or can it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You're talking about soft subs? I don't think it will work but you can try.
    Have you thought about burning in the subs? Then you can edit easily
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I mean embedded subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Strictly speaking the subtitles can be soft or hard embedded. Which type is it?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Strictly speaking the subtitles can be soft or hard embedded. Which type is it?
    They are pgs files, not hardcoded, and not on forced display.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I mean embedded subtitles.
    If by "embedded subs" you mean a separate subtitle stream stored in the same container file with the audio and video (for example, an mp4 or mkv), you still need to edit those subtitles separately with a subtitle editor to match the clips that you export.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Does your program work for pgs subtitles? Can it cut videos frame by frame? Does it have a video preview?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does your program work for pgs subtitles? Can it cut videos frame by frame? Does it have a video preview?
    There are no video editors that can cut PGS subtitles that I know of.

I haven't tried cutting PGS subs myself but I seem to remember a thread that said it can be done with Subtitle Edit. However, I think subtitles have to be demultiplexed first.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post
    What are some frame-by-frame video cutters that support and keep subtitles after cutting, and can encode them to lossless video codecs?
    You can use clever FFmpeg-GUI for cutting and preserve all embedded subtitles, but on keyframes only.
    The cut is done with streamcopy, so no reencode is done.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You can use clever FFmpeg-GUI for cutting and preserve all embedded subtitles, but on keyframes only.
    The cut is done with streamcopy, so no reencode is done.
    How? Why can't I reencode it after cutting?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post
    After cutting, you can of course re-encode as you wish.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Do I get a preview while I'm cutting?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You can preview while searching the keyframes.
    You can also watch the video in any player and make a note of the desired cut times.
    clever FFmpeg-GUI then searches for the closest keyframes and cuts to them.
    The cut is fast because it is done with streamcopy.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You can preview while searching the keyframes.
    You can also watch the video in any player and make a note of the desired cut times.
    clever FFmpeg-GUI then searches for the closest keyframes and cuts to them.
    The cut is fast because it is done with streamcopy.
    Does it support precise cutting? I'm fine with lossy cutting.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post
    Accurate cutting and lossless cutting are two different things. As I said before, clever FFmpeg-GUI can cut on keyframes lossless that it runs as streamcopy.
    But something else.
    You ask and ask and ask, I won't answer you anymore unless you ask for a well-defined problem.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Accurate cutting and lossless cutting are two different things. As I said before, clever FFmpeg-GUI can cut on keyframes lossless that it runs as streamcopy.
    But something else.
    You ask and ask and ask, I won't answer you anymore unless you ask for a well-defined problem.
    All right, how about this? I originally wanted to burn in pgs subtitles, but I realized that .ass is better so I decided to convert them and then burn them in using Avidemux. Now how do I use the tool to split my video into multiple fragments, and save one selection as an image sequence of png files?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Solveig Video Splitter can do this (been doing it for years with H264/SRT in MKV). Unfortunately it has now gone subscription only which makes it a bit pricey for occasional use so I stick with the old version I purchased some time ago. Does frame accurate cutting encoding only the balance of cut I frames which makes it fast.

HTH

Chris K
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by cjketle View Post
    Solveig Video Splitter can do this (been doing it for years with H264/SRT in MKV). Unfortunately it has now gone subscription only which makes it a bit pricey for occasional use so I stick with the old version I purchased some time ago. Does frame accurate cutting encoding only the balance of cut I frames which makes it fast.

HTH

Chris K
    Can it encode videos to lossless formats like FFV1?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Not on their current codec list (H265/HEVC, H264/AVC, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DIVX, XVID, MJPEG, WMV1, WMV2, WMV3, MPEG Audio, PCM, AC3, AAC).

Have you tried Lossless Cut? This uses FFMPEG as the engine and claims 'Experimental Smart Cutting' though I could never get that to work. That certainly keeps subtitles when cutting TS files, YMMV.

Chris K
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by cjketle View Post
    Not on their current codec list (H265/HEVC, H264/AVC, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DIVX, XVID, MJPEG, WMV1, WMV2, WMV3, MPEG Audio, PCM, AC3, AAC).

Have you tried Lossless Cut? This uses FFMPEG as the engine and claims 'Experimental Smart Cutting' though I could never get that to work. That certainly keeps subtitles when cutting TS files, YMMV.

Chris K
    Can Solveig Video Splitter encode videos to any lossless format, or no?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post
    Originally Posted by cjketle View Post
    Not on their current codec list (H265/HEVC, H264/AVC, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DIVX, XVID, MJPEG, WMV1, WMV2, WMV3, MPEG Audio, PCM, AC3, AAC).

Chris K
    Can Solveig Video Splitter encode videos to any lossless format, or no?
    Solveig Video Splitter dont re-encode the video . If the input MP4 AVC output is MP4 AVC. If its MPEG TS, output is MPEG TS
    Quote Quote