VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for this question but I'm not very tech savvy at all so please bear with me.
    I'm trying to transfer my miniDV tapes using the original camera Canon VIXIA HV40 to my external HardDrive and I noticed it stops recording around 30 minutes of an hour tape.
    Does anyone know of a fix to this issue?
    Please help me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    make sure there is no check mark in "scenes split" box. and the hard drive needs to formatted as exfat or ntfs not fat32.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your quick reply.
    Yes the "scene split" is unchecked however that comment about the hard drive is way over my head. Have no idea how to check that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Are you transferring DV or HDV content or a mixt? HDVsplit transfers HDV content only.

How did you format your external hard drive? What options you checked when formatted it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so, I am transferring HDV tapes, but I didn't format the hard drive.
    Since I'm not technically savvy at all I simply plugged in the WD drive into my port and started to download the videos through HDVSplit.
    Sounds like that's where all my problems began.
    In my defense when I plugged it into the port it didn't prompt me to do anything.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Half an hour of HDV is around 14 GB, so should not be related to FAT cluster size. WinDV has max file size setting, I don't remember whether HDV Split has one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    To do a reformat (which of course means wiping all the data currently on the drive!), you would do something like this:
    1. Right click on your computer icon in Explorer, choose "Manage"
    2. Click on "Storage/Disk Management" in the system tree. It will take a little while to read the drives & load. Look at the screencap and see a facsimile.
    3. Select your drive, when highlighted it will have diagonal shading.
    4. Right click & choose "Format..."
    5. Under "File system", choose NTFS or exFAT, not FAT32 (some drives & sizes wonʻt give you much options) - NTFS for best security/features/options/OS integration, exFAT for best cross-platform compatibility.
    6. Click "OK" and wait til itʻs finished.
    7. Use your drive as intended.
    [Attachment 76300 - Click to enlarge]

Scott

<edit>aaahh, @Bwaak you beat me to it!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Scott, I'm doing as you suggested.
    I'm told by WD that the HD came formatted as NTFS but I went ahead and started the reformat anyway.
    I'm just so frustrated at this point.

Many thanks, please let me know if you think of anything else I can do.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you BWAAK, not sure I know how to check if HDSplit has a max size. Nothing about it on Google search.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tony520
    not sure I know how to check if HDSplit has a max size
    HDVSplit does not have a maximum file size. Try running through my guide here to see if you've missed something.

Try another tape. If it too stops at 30 minutes, then a hard drive issue is indicated,

Go to the point on the tape where the recording stops. Is there a break in the timecode? This could be causing HDVSplit to stop.

As mentioned by Dellsam, HDVSPlit will not capture DV; it's only for HDV. On your tape, you may have a format change at that 30 minute point. Watch the top of the HV40 display to see if it changes from "HDV" to "DV". That will signify a format change. You will need to be in "Auto" Play mode for the changing to occur. In the Play Out Setup 1 menu, change the "Playback STD" to AUTO: Press FUNC button, toggle down to "MENU", press toggle, scroll down to Play Out/Setup 1, press toggle, scroll to "Playback STD" and choose AUTO, press toggle, then FUNC out.

Originally Posted by Bwaak
    Half an hour of HDV is around 14 GB
    PAL 1080i HDV is ~25mbps, same as DV, so ~13GB per hour.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, Alwyn, for answering me. I'm going to try what you suggested and let you know the outcome.
    Again, many thanks.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Bwaak
    Half an hour of HDV is around 14 GB
    PAL 1080i HDV is ~25mbps, same as DV, so ~13GB per hour.
    I stand corrected, thanks (it is 25 Mbps, not 25 mbps, still I was wrong). Nevertheless, 6.5 GB is more than 4 GB, so my points stands: I don't think it is a FAT issue, not to mention that we were told the drive has been originally formatted with NTFS.

It may indeed be a format change or a blank section on tape.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for your help with this matter. Alwyn thank you for the link to the explanation on how to download and adjust not only HDVSplit but the FFDShow software. That info seems to have solved my problem.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cheers Tony, glad to have helped.
    Quote Quote