VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi does anyone know why my two external HDDs willl often (at random times) keep disconnecting from the USB ports they are plugged into on my Lenovo laptop?. I have them both connected via a cheap USB hub so maybe the issue is with that, but I don't think that's the cause. My sons new gaming PC seems to do the same with USB keyboard, even though it's connected by one of the many ports (some are on the back and some are located on the top of the base unit tower - no idea why they've installed ports there for) and after booting Windows up I often find that the keys won't work and that I need to unplug the UBS cable and plug it back in to get the keyboard to function. Also, like my Lenovo it will sometimes unplug other connected devices such as a gaming control with the "disconnect/connect" sound being heard. This seems to be a real pain. I've never had this issue on any of my older laptops or my desktop PC, it's only since using Wndows 11 I this problem seems to be happening. Could be down to the wrong USB type or cheap cable.
    Last edited by techmot; 15th Jan 2024 at 04:59.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Power management on HDD and perhaps on USB port? Insufficient power on USB port? Poor mechanical connector? There can be many reasons...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    some are located on the top of the base unit tower - no idea why they've installed ports there for
    So when you're sitting at your desk and want to connect: analogue digitiser, scanner, camera, external HDD or phone, you can do so easily, without getting down on your hands and knees to scrabble around behind your box in the dark trying to plug in a USB cable.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    I have them both connected via a cheap USB hub
    I agree with pandy, if the hub is not a powered hub then that's most probably your problem.
    I've found that my unpowered hub handles a usb wireless dongle for my keyboard and a separate wireless dongle for my mouse.
    Plug in my old 320GIG WD drive and the whole lot becomes iffy.
    Quote Quote