VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Nytalite
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

A month ago, I purchased a JVC HM-DH30000U for capturing VHS tapes through FireWire. However, it did not work on my Apple Silicon Mac with OBS via Thunderbolt adapters (it wouldn't output from its own VCR, and when outputting from its inputs, it was choppy and had no audio). But now, after purchasing a FireWire card to use with a Windows desktop, I've run into a different problem. Neither CapDVHS, HDVSplit, nor WinDV can detect an output, even though HDVSplit can control it. WinDV says "Error: Can't find DV output pin". Is there anything I can do to make it work? I appreciate your help.

Thank you,
    Justin
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The deck converts VHS into mpeg-2 SD video, not the greatest quality if you ask me, but having said that, mpeg-2 over firewire can only be streamed with CapDVHS, Newer platforms may not work with capDVHS, so use VLC, Neither HDVsplit nor WinDV/Sclive can recognize the stream.

Possible causes, bad firewire port on the deck, faulty cable, firewire hand shake problem, rebooting sometimes fixes this, privacy setting in Windows .. just to name few.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Nytalite View Post
    Hello,

A month ago, I purchased a JVC HM-DH30000U for capturing VHS tapes through FireWire. However, it did not work on my Apple Silicon Mac with OBS via Thunderbolt adapters (it wouldn't output from its own VCR, and when outputting from its inputs, it was choppy and had no audio). But now, after purchasing a FireWire card to use with a Windows desktop, I've run into a different problem. Neither CapDVHS, HDVSplit, nor WinDV can detect an output, even though HDVSplit can control it. WinDV says "Error: Can't find DV output pin". Is there anything I can do to make it work? I appreciate your help.

Thank you,
    Justin
    I'm in the same situation with this problem, with the same JVC HM-DH30000U, look here on the forum, you'll see that I tried the solution. The possible solution would be to buy a firewire card compatible with the 1080p output of this device, I haven't bought it yet to test. But according to the @dellsam34 it would be better to use the svid output to capture VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Nytalite
    Search Comp PM
    I know the FireWire card is communicating with the VCR, but it just doesn’t receive the video. I
    I’m assuming it’s that now, though, as it also failed to recognize the stream of a MiniDV camcorder daisy-chained through the VCR.

The VCR starts up with the host PC, and it shows an FireWire number. But there are now two scenarios that happen. In Windows XP and 7, CapDVHS attempts to start the capture, but fails with “Error 800775AA: Cannot Start Capture” and creates an empty file. Additionally, in XP, 7, and 10, it sometimes starts the capture, but the VCR does not start, and again, it creates an empty file.

What FireWire cards are compatible, though? Mine is just a generic FireWire 400 card from AliExpress.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Does your deck have two firewire ports or just one? If two, then you will have to set the deck to the correct firewire port number, Usually F1 and F2.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Nytalite View Post
    I know the FireWire card is communicating with the VCR, but it just doesn’t receive the video. I
    I’m assuming it’s that now, though, as it also failed to recognize the stream of a MiniDV camcorder daisy-chained through the VCR.

The VCR starts up with the host PC, and it shows an FireWire number. But there are now two scenarios that happen. In Windows XP and 7, CapDVHS attempts to start the capture, but fails with “Error 800775AA: Cannot Start Capture” and creates an empty file. Additionally, in XP, 7, and 10, it sometimes starts the capture, but the VCR does not start, and again, it creates an empty file.

What FireWire cards are compatible, though? Mine is just a generic FireWire 400 card from AliExpress.

Everything you wrote, I've been through. My Pinnacle 700 pci also cannot connect to the firewire output of this VCR model. I just haven't bought another firewire card yet because I can get really good captures using svideo.

Maybe the Pci-express Firewire 800 1394a 1394b Texas Instruments Pcie could be the solution @dellsam34 ??
    Quote Quote  
  7. Nytalite
    Search Comp PM
    Here’s my update. After further experimentation, CapDVHS WILL receive a feed from the VCR’s inputs, but not the VCR itself. I don’t know how to make it work with the VCR. What should I do?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Swap & burn that generic aliexpress card obviously to a Texas inst. that people have reported to work ok (on XP at least)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    (waves robed hand)
    Those are not the decks you're looking for...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Nytalite
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Swap & burn that generic aliexpress card obviously to a Texas inst. that people have reported to work ok (on XP at least)
    In my case, I instead bought an old laptop with a FireWire port. Even though my AliExpress card works with the inputs of the VCR, it looks like this will work better.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Just use it as S-VHS player via S-Video port, they have excellent image quality playing back analog tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Can't say much about the 30000U, but I did just restore a 40000U and I do plan to see what the MPEG2 stream is like since that could be captured simultaneously along with S-Video out. It can also do component out I believe.

What I will say is that if the 30kU is similar to the 40kU, it'll have a bunch of bad SMT caps in the digital card which does the MPEG2 conversion and timebase correction and that could be causing issues potentially. There are about 25 of those SMT caps in the 40kU. I replace all of them because it's not worth having to take it apart later as more fail over time. There's also a few caps near the large heatsinks on the main board that are almost always completely open or very high ESR due to that localized heat from voltage regulators that should be replaced as well. The machines will often run with them being bad, but hard to say what functions will be impaired with them being bad. Picture below is after the recap of the SMT caps. I chose to remove the outer shielding during the recap to have more room to work, but it's also kind of annoying to get that shield off without damaging anything too.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4068.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	78975  

Quote Quote