VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm trying to convert my old 8mm tapes to digital, using an Elgato USB converter. My question is that when I play a tape on the video camcorder it is fine when viewed in the machines viewfinder. But when I view it in the conversion software it is glitchy. So what I'm trying to understand is whether what I see in the viewfinder is how the output signal should be or is it possible that there is a problem with the output signal. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    We don't see what you see, so we can't answer your question.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Plug your camcorder into the TV and compare (using the Composite/Yellow connectors will be sufficient). If it looks the same as the viewfinder, your issue is with the digitiser process.

Glitchy video may be a result of a poor recording and may need stabilisation of some sort.

To help, you can also capture 30 seconds or so of tape showing the glitches and attach it here. Common issues are easy to spot by the experts.
    Quote Quote  
  4. OK thanks for that. Here's some video showing the problem. If it is a problem with the digitiser process what does that indicate? Think it uploaded how can I tell?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Put a DVD recorder in passthrough or try a different capture device, That fault is due to the capture device not locking on any signal timing, either faulty or crappy chipset.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like a classic case of lack of stabilisation. Could be the Elgato and could be not. Other examples:

https://youtu.be/YMPFVwxbwUc?list=PL-dhdjQ1_Yu3X5OedB368O01V0WHg0DW4

https://youtu.be/0tam7rlgUYg?list=PL-dhdjQ1_Yu3X5OedB368O01V0WHg0DW4

As alluded-to by Dellsam, I would get a DVD recorder (best PAL ones are Panasonics such as an ES10, ES15, ES35, EH57, EZ48) which have good stabilising properties (due to the internal DVD burning processes which are also for the video outputs). If you find another model and have doubts, come back here with the model number and we'll sort you out.

Preferably use S-Video cables: connect your camcorder using S-Video to the DVD recorder, then S-Video to the Elgato. There's a long thread on doing this here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403635-Panasonic-DVD-recorder-passthrough-settings...15-DMR-ES25%29
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Of course, I should also mention another option: getting a Hi8 camcorder with built-in TBC. They should be able to play your Video8 tapes and do the stabilising.

The Panasonic DVD recorders are, allegedly, brute-force boxes which do a great job when a normal camcorder or VCR-based TBC can't cope, but they come with minor issues. That said, I have an ES-15 permanently in my analogue workflow and am happy with it's output.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm coming to the conclusion that it is the Elgato. Surprising as reviews say is best for what I'm trying to do and most expensive.

What is interesting is that the problem only occurs on tapes that were recorded on my Canon UC6000.

Tapes recorded on a different make of Camcorder play ok.

I have an old EZCAP video capture device and that plays all tapes from either my Canon or other machine ok. (EZCAP video works but not the sound my fault I broke it!)

Also if I play VHS tapes on my VCR to my PC the same situation occurs eg: problem when using Elgato but with EZCAP is ok.

Looks like I'll have to buy another EZCAP.

Thanks for your ideas.
    Quote Quote