VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello VideoPro's

I avoided this topic for some years (as long as I could), but now it's back. I have to burn some videos to backup them.
    Some TV's you can buy currently do not support all formats, so I am sadly back to the idea creating everything in a straight way, for avoiding too many different file types.

So MKV --> BD is my current task.

I figured out in a pretty time consuming way, that BD's have also some format limits. Must have at least:
    - 1920x1080p, because it is HD compatible (sure there are also other formats)
    - cannot have VOB subs only PGS (and maybe SRT) are supported

I tried also a lot of software tools. My favorites are now:
    - Handbrake for converting
    - TSmuxer for creating BDs
    - mkvToolNix for merging and editing

Result after many hours:
    One ISO file for burning the BD-R. I can mount it with Windows 10. I can play it with VLC. But ...
    Where are the cool names I have given the audio and subtitle streams while I was creating this file?
    TSmuxer lost also the chapters. But I think this is because, Handbrake inserts one more colon into ... yeah what ever. I can see this additional colon with mediaInfo (tree view). That's a minor issue. I can copy and paste the chapters from the source file.

But I'd like to keep the stream titles. Is this a known issue? Can I have stream titles on a BD or is this just an MKV feature like the VOB subtitles? Or is it a software deficit of tsMuxer? Any experience with this?

I was searching around, but I found nothing about that. Maybe I used the wrong keywords.

Best Regards,
    Nomad
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you thought of backing up all your videos on a hard disk instead of wasting time on burning them to media?
    I have hundreds of recorded DVD's that I am copying to a hard disk these days and it only take about 5 minutes to copy the DVD files using Windows Explorer. After that I am going to throw away all the discs into the dustbin.
    If you have mkv files then it is even better.
    A 5TB HDD can include 1000 DVD's that have an average of 5GB size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nomad.mk-15c View Post
    Hello VideoPro's

I avoided this topic for some years (as long as I could), but now it's back. I have to burn some videos to backup them.
    Some TV's you can buy currently do not support all formats, so I am sadly back to the idea creating everything in a straight way, for avoiding too many different file types.

So MKV --> BD is my current task.

I figured out in a pretty time consuming way, that BD's have also some format limits. Must have at least:
    - 1920x1080p, because it is HD compatible (sure there are also other formats)
    - cannot have VOB subs only PGS (and maybe SRT) are supported

I tried also a lot of software tools. My favorites are now:
    - Handbrake for converting
    - TSmuxer for creating BDs
    - mkvToolNix for merging and editing

Result after many hours:
    One ISO file for burning the BD-R. I can mount it with Windows 10. I can play it with VLC. But ...
    Where are the cool names I have given the audio and subtitle streams while I was creating this file?
    TSmuxer lost also the chapters. But I think this is because, Handbrake inserts one more colon into ... yeah what ever. I can see this additional colon with mediaInfo (tree view). That's a minor issue. I can copy and paste the chapters from the source file.

But I'd like to keep the stream titles. Is this a known issue? Can I have stream titles on a BD or is this just an MKV feature like the VOB subtitles? Or is it a software deficit of tsMuxer? Any experience with this?

I was searching around, but I found nothing about that. Maybe I used the wrong keywords.

Best Regards,
    Nomad
    In my opinion, converting your files to comply with the Blu-ray standard, using them to author a Blu-ray file and folder structure inside an ISO, and burning the ISO to physical media is not a good choice for backing up your videos unless you need to use a Blu-ray player for playback. ...and no, you can't keep your cool stream names in an authored Blu-ray. Custom stream names are not part of the Blu-ray standard. You probably need different authoring software to create chapters.

You can simply burn your MKV files directly to BD-R media (if they will fit) as a backup. However, even if recordable Blu-ray media can't be erased, it won't last forever. Plus, Blu-ray drives and Blu-ray players may go out of production someday.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Maybe really some day there won't be a player anymore. I have those BD-R disks anyway and I just lost a HDD, which was rarly used.

Plus the fact Samsung and LG have castrated their TVs. I sadly get sometimes incompatibility messages. So I am anyway damned to touch this MKVs. I guess it will be an amount of something between 15 and 20. Which will disappear somewhere in my shelf.

It's a task, which can be done somewhere in the background. When I understood at least how to do it.

So the BD standard does not support stream titles? Is this fact also documented somewhere?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you're asking about filenames in a filesystem, NO, neither CD nor DVD nor Bluray support changes to the files' names beyond the very application-specific, structured names given.
    Understand that these need to be universally compatible, even with dumb, low complexity, external devices such as portable players.

If you're asking about what can be seen within those specific applications, YES, all of them have features for applying names to clips. CD has CD-Text, DVD & BD has menus & playlists. But note that those are all metadata that reside in a different file - they aren't necessarily embedded in the specific asset data themselves.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Have you thought of backing up all your videos on a hard disk instead of wasting time on burning them to media?
    I have hundreds of recorded DVD's that I am copying to a hard disk these days and it only take about 5 minutes to copy the DVD files using Windows Explorer. After that I am going to throw away all the discs into the dustbin.
    If you have mkv files then it is even better.
    A 5TB HDD can include 1000 DVD's that have an average of 5GB size.
    Cold storage is more reliable than an HDD by a country mile.
    Quote Quote