VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    I am in the U.S.

I-O Data GV-USB2 on Amazon U.S. for $52 including shipping, sold by tokyoexport, first available August 7, 2012, ASIN B00428BF1Y.

I-O Data GV-USB2/E on Amazon U.S. for $52 including shipping, sold by Amazon Japan, first available ‎August 30, 2023, ASIN B0BZ7Q3PKP. Amazon U.S. marks this as a newer model.

Same? Different?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    I am in the U.S.

I-O Data GV-USB2 on Amazon U.S. for $52 including shipping, sold by tokyoexport, first available August 7, 2012, ASIN B00428BF1Y.

I-O Data GV-USB2/E on Amazon U.S. for $52 including shipping, sold by Amazon Japan, first available ‎August 30, 2023, ASIN B0BZ7Q3PKP. Amazon U.S. marks this as a newer model.

Same? Different?
    Well, since "E" sometimes means Enhanced, English, Europe, it seem like the winner from over here atleast, ellse maybe it got E got Europe power cord and the non E got US power cord connector, or tokyo language or maybe is not enhanced! ellse i dont know!

Edit: Can mean Efficent (Power efficent, different cables in the product using less electricity and provide slightly faster speed, less risk for electrical errors, better cable/connector welding etc).
    Last edited by Swedaniel; 8th Jan 2024 at 02:41.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lots of fake GV-USB2 are being sold now.

The standard BS is "upgraded model", when it's obviously an Easycap or a "grabber". And the "in Japan" sellers are in China. The online image, if any, is stock. When the card you get isn't the one you see, "upgraded model" is what you're told.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From the comments on the "E" you linked-to:

The DVD type was getting cheaper, so when I bought it, it seemed like it couldn't be converted to MP4 with the attached software. As far as I can read reviews, apparently the BD/DVD type can be converted to MP4, so even if you don't plan on dubbing to BD, it seems safer to buy the BD/DVD type.
    The dubbing itself was smooth even with the DVD type.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lordsmurf
    As is plainly obvious, the listing images show the GV-USB2. I suggest keeping the catastrophising at bay until he is actually sent a easycrap instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Lordsmurf
    As is plainly obvious, the listing images show the GV-USB2. I suggest keeping the catastrophising at bay until he is actually sent a easycrap instead.
    Stock images != what is sent in the mail.
    And when it looks different, newbies are just told it's the "upgraded" version. I've already met a few folks that have been burned. They had issues, and the samples were worse than actual GV-USB2, bad quality just like Easycaps/"grabbers".
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Thanks, Alwyn! There are two models listed: GV-USB2 and GV-USB2/HQ. It seems the only difference is that the "HQ" has bundled BD authoring software. There is no "E" model. I don't think Amazon Japan would be selling a counterfeit item. I asked them what the difference is, hopefully they reply.

If you search product info on their website by typing "GV-USB", they list the following models: GV-USB, GV-USB2, GV-USB2/A, GV-USB2/E, GV-USB2/HQ, GV-USB3/HD, GV-USB3/HDS, GV-USB3HD/E, GV-USB3HDS/E.

The USB3/HD are large HDMI boxes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Actually, they do have a page for the GV-USB2/E. They say the software is the same.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The amazon listing sold by Amazon Japan that has the /E variant does actually let you chose between the /E and /HQ variant as well in case the latter offers anything else than just the extra software above the normal variant.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    The amazon listing sold by Amazon Japan that has the /E variant does actually let you chose between the /E and /HQ variant as well in case the latter offers anything else than just the extra software above the normal variant.
    Right, the "HQ" is just "HQ", not "E/HQ". The difference between USB2 and USB2/HQ is only in software. Still, this does not tell me what the "E" is. Maybe it is just a packaging thing as @Swedaniel suggested, like enhanced or economy. I am not even asking about the "A". I wish they had a quick comparison page on their website.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    I asked IO-DATA this question on their website: "Hello! What is the difference between the GV-USB2 and the GB-USB2/E ? Thank you!"

Two days later they replied, basically saying "F@#$ you, this is a Japanese website":

Thank you for your inquiry about I-O DATA product.
    As we provide the technical support only in Japanese.
    Please send us message in Japanese.
    We do appreciate your understanding.
    Whatever. I bought the non-"E" model from tokyoexport on Amazon US.
    Quote Quote