VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, first time posting here.

I have a couple of Dreamcast commercials I'm working on deinterlacing for YouTube. Most of them are fully interlaced so I had no problem correcting those, but I have two which are only partially interlaced.

The animated segments look to be progressive, but the live-action/game footage has interlaced artifacts.

Would these be possible to correct with AviSynth/VirtualDub2 without affecting the rest of the footage?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe something like:

AssumeBFF().TDeint(mode=0, full=false, cthresh=9, chroma=false, MI=16, edeint=QTGMC(FPSDivisor=2), emask=TMM(mode=0), slow=2)
    [Attachment 76100 - Click to enlarge]

Did not check in depth, too late here...
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'd recommend just using QTGMC and encoding the whole thing at 59.94 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I'd recommend just using QTGMC and encoding the whole thing at 59.94 fps.
    Not sure why I didn't try this since it's what I'm using for the rest, thanks.

That being said, both of these methods result in some slight color ghosting. Any fix for that?

Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by AstroSeedP View Post

That being said, both of these methods result in some slight color ghosting. Any fix for that?

Is that the original file ? If not, use the original file . This type of chroma error is usually caused by improper progressive 4:2:0 sampling instead of a proper interlaced workflow before deinterlacing
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by AstroSeedP View Post

Is that the original file ? If not, use the original file . This type of chroma error is usually caused by improper progressive 4:2:0 sampling instead of a proper interlaced workflow before deinterlacing
    That .mov is all I have.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The chroma of the two fields has been blended together by the progressive encoding of the interlaced video. You won't be able to fix that. That's one reason I recommended encoding at 60p.
    Quote Quote  
  8. So interesting discovery, I ran the Sonic Adventure one through QTGMC too but I got these strange striped lines during this sequence.

At first, I thought I was doing something wrong, but then I compared it with all other copies I could find online and they all looked just like this.
    Even found some tape and cam recordings and they're the same there.

So I guess this is just what it looked like when it aired.
    What's causing this though, something weird with the way the gameplay was recorded?
    Quote Quote  
  9. In some of the shots interlaced frames were resized vertically without consideration for the interlacing. That causes the problems you are seeing when deinterlacing. It's one of the reasons I suggested just using QTGMC -- the problem is a little less noticeable with the doubled frame rate.

Another way of dealing with that is to blur the two fields together.

QTGMC on the left, fields blurred together on the right:
    [Attachment 76154 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  10. just for fun: QTGMC_BasicVSR++_NNEDI3 => too smooth
    Image Attached Files
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote