VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a new LG Blu-Ray writer WH16NS40.
    When I tried to copy a DVD title to HDD using Handbrake, the drive got quite hot and the computer temperature got really hot. I could feel the whole case getting hot. I have CPU liquid cooler with two fans and radiator on the front, a 140mm fan on top and a rear fan 120mm as exhaust.
    I didn't expect the computer to get so hot because of the drive.
    Is there a better way to copy the DVD without the computer getting so hot?
    Can I slow down the drive reading and copying the data, if that can help making it run less hot?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    When I tried to copy a DVD title to HDD using Handbrake, the drive got quite hot and the computer temperature got really hot. I could feel the whole case getting hot. I have CPU liquid cooler with two fans and radiator on the front, a 140mm fan on top and a rear fan 120mm as exhaust.
    Can I slow down the drive reading and copying the data, if that can help making it run less hot?
    is your computer clogged with dust ??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    is your computer clogged with dust ??
    Brand new computer
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is the computer prebuilt or did you build it yourself ??
    some computers do get very warm if you have high end parts.
    see this thread post #6 - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/345705-DVD-burn-runs-too-hot-how-to-slow-down-read...he-source-disk
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In your old tower case, the optical drive was inside the case so you probably didn't notice how much heat it produced. As far as slowing down the drive, optical drives have long had firmware that includes Riplock to reduce the maximum drive speed allowed when copying DVDs. Since you are encoding the video output from the drive, yes, the CPU is going to get hot. Maybe the front panel doesn't let in enough outside air to cool down the radiator.

I would try copying the DVD to your HDD using MakeMKV and then encode the resulting MKVs using HandBrake to see if that changes anything for the better.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Jan 2024 at 18:55. Reason: spelling
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    In your old tower case, the optical drive was inside the case so you probably didn't notice how much heat it produced. As far as slowing down the drive, optical drives have long had firmware that includes Riplock to reduce the maximum drive speed allowed when copying DVDs. Since you are encoding the video output from the drive, yes, the CPU is going to get hot. Maybe the front panel doesn't let in enough outside air to cool down the radiator.

I would try copying the DVD to your HDD using MakeMKV and then encode the resulting MKVs using HandBrake to see if that changes anything for the better.
    In my old computer I didn't do much work encoding DVD videos and the drive didn't get too hot.

I think the best way to handle how to make the DVD drive not to get too hot is to copy all the files structure of the DVD using Windows Explorer and then encode the files using a software that doesn't put too much work on the CPU.
    This way the drive doesn't work all the time during the encoding stage.

I made a test copying a VOB file from the DVD that I used yesterday to the hard disk (in this case SSD 1TB).
    When I tried to encode the VOB file using Handbrake, the computer started to get hot just like yesterday.
    Then I tried to encode the same file using HD Video Converter Factory Pro to the same video format, the computer didn't get hot at all.
    So it looks like Handbrake encoding is not the best software to use in my case.

What I need now is a software that can handle the DVD files structure copied to the SSD and treat them as a DVD and at the same time doesn't make the computer works too hard.
    I could use HD Video Converter Factory Pro to convert all the VOB files to mp4 and then merge the titles into one video, but I will lose all the chapters markers if I do this.

Can anyone suggest a software that can treat DVD file structure on the hard disk as a DVD, apart from VLC?
    Last edited by Subtitles; 6th Jan 2024 at 09:16.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

In my old computer I didn't do much work encoding DVD videos and the drive didn't get too hot.

I think the best way to handle how to make the DVD drive not to get too hot is to copy all the files structure of the DVD using Windows Explorer and then encode the files using a software that doesn't put too much work on the CPU.
    This way the drive doesn't work all the time during the encoding stage.

I made a test copying a VOB file from the DVD that I used yesterday to the hard disk (in this case SSD 1TB).
    When I tried to encode the VOB file using Handbrake, the computer started to get hot just like yesterday.
    Then I tried to encode the same file using HD Video Converter Factory Pro to the same video format, the computer didn't get hot at all.
    So it looks like Handbrake encoding is not the best software to use in my case.

What I need now is a software that can handle the DVD files structure copied to the SSD and treat them as a DVD and at the same time doesn't make the computer works too hard.
    I could use HD Video Converter Factory Pro to convert all the VOB files to mp4 and then merge the titles into one video, but I will lose all the chapters markers if I do this.

Can anyone suggest a software that can treat DVD file structure on the hard disk as a DVD, apart from VLC?
    In an earlier thread, you said that you bought an Intel i7-13700K processor for your new PC (not the "KF" variant), which means it has an iGPU and Quick Sync encoding and decoding is available for most common video formats. I think HandBrake is set up to use Quick Sync to encode and decode whenever possible by default, but I could be wrong about that, so check to see if Quick Sync is enabled in HandBrake's settings. Using Quick Sync for decoding and encoding reduces the stress on the CPU.

If you want another free player that can play a DVD file structure from an HDD, MPC-BE and PotPlayer can do that. If you want free software alternative to HandBrake, maybe clever FFmpgGUI is worth investigating but I don't know enough about it to be sure.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a GPU so I selected "Allow Use of the Nvidia NVENC Encoders" so that should put less stress on the CPU. The Intel QuickSync Encoders are not selected. I am not going to waste any time on Handbrake.
    Anyway thanks for your suggestions. I am using now the Wonderfox HD Video Converter Factory Pro to do the conversion (with GPU enabled) and it seems to work very well in a short time without the computer getting even warm.

Copying the DVD file structure to the SSD takes only few minutes and then I do the encoding using Wonderfox converter. It can also merge all the VBO large files so that is really a great help.

What I am working on now is trying to get rid of all my recorded DVD's (I can't believe I have few hundreds!!!!) after copying only the interesting movies and throwing away the rest if they are DVD-R, or formatting the DVD-RW to erase the content.
    I will probably buy a DVD writer (cost about $20 locally) and use that instead of the LG Blu-Ray, because I have only few purchased movies in Blu-Ray and this work can shorten the life of the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vidcoder is a good alternative to Handbrake. One thing it has that I couldn't find in HB is the ability to limit the amount of threads,
    this should solve the overheating problem
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I solved the heating problem by adding a 140mm fan at the top of the case, acting as exhaust fan. I can really warm my hands over it while doing encoding.
    I also copied all the files of the DVD first to the HDD using Windows Explorer which takes only about five minutes and then let Handbrake does the encoding by opening the files copied to the HDD.
    This way the Blu Ray drive doesn't work at all during the encoding stage, which can take about 30 minutes. I think this can make it live longer.
    One thing puzzles me is that although I have selected in Handbrake to "Allow use of the Nvidia NVENC Encoders", I can see that only the CPU is doing the work and not the GPU.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I solved the heating problem by adding a 140mm fan at the top of the case, acting as exhaust fan. I can really warm my hands over it while doing encoding.
    I also copied all the files of the DVD first to the HDD using Windows Explorer which takes only about five minutes and then let Handbrake does the encoding by opening the files copied to the HDD.
    This way the Blu Ray drive doesn't work at all during the encoding stage, which can take about 30 minutes. I think this can make it live longer.
    One thing puzzles me is that although I have selected in Handbrake to "Allow use of the Nvidia NVENC Encoders", I can see that only the CPU is doing the work and not the GPU.
    Maybe the encoding parameters you chose are not supported when using NVENC.
    Quote Quote