VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    What open-source software is easiest to use when burning subs onto a video file for then making a DVD? I understand Avidemux could be used. I am all for Avidemux as I often use it to edit video but was unaware that it could be used for adding subs to a video file and would some need guidance for that.

Thank you.
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Handbrake
    I use MKVToolNix GUI to add srt files to videos that can be switched on and off, but never used it to BURN the subtitles into the video.
    Last edited by Subtitles; 1st Jan 2024 at 07:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, I hear you Israel. Thanks for answering!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you intend to author a proper DVD disc then you need to use a DVD authoring software.

Here are the DVD authoring software available for download.
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/authoring-dvd

The difficult part is to come up with a subtitle file. There are software available here.
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/subtitle

I have used DVD Slideshow GUI for photos. It also import videos but each project must have at least slide for it to work.
    Please refer to this video for reference.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrHx_bB41GI
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you pchan. 'If you intend to author a proper DVD disc then you need to use a DVD authoring software.' Oh, you mean one with a menu, chapters etc like a bought DVD? But back when I was really into these things years ago, I used VitualDub to burn the subs I found at subtitle sites of the day.

It was perfectly OK for the people receiving/requesting the disks and will have to do.

I had to leave VitualDub running overnight (32-bit processor; the hardware of the day); it took it's time and I couldn't use the PC for anything else . . . so, better to leave it.

'The difficult part is to come up with a subtitle file.' Nah, I use Subscene and seldom have to look elsewhere.

Photos? There hasn't been a need for that lately. Back then I used Windows Movie Maker for that but I will surely check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrHx_bB41GI

Again thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by VenusAndMars View Post
    What open-source software is easiest to use when burning subs onto a video file for then making a DVD? I understand Avidemux could be used. I am all for Avidemux as I often use it to edit video but was unaware that it could be used for adding subs to a video file and would some need guidance for that.

Thank you.
    If you want to create a DVD, the video must be encoded in mpeg2.
    If you want the subtitle burned into the video (i.e. always displayed and not as a selectable option) then you can use clever FFmpeg-GUI.

[Attachment 75895 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VenusAndMars View Post

Thank you.
    Hey Hope you having a great day Certainly! Avidemux is user-friendly for adding subtitles to video files, making it a great choice for burning subs onto a video before creating a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you ProWo and Steve M! I think I will have to stop viewing this thread now and 'close' it. Thanks everybody for your input. I wish you all a great 2024!
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you're already using Avidemux, why not use that. Just select Subtitles in the Filters dialogue. Open your sub file. Apply the formatting. Accept the convert option, if your subs need converting, and thats it.
    You can apply additional filters as part of the encoding process if required. All pretty straight forward.
    Quote Quote