VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have the 4. k Blu Ray of Black Widow.

I got this a fue Years ago and used MakeMKV to put it on my USB Hard Drive.

I wanted to check the Specs. on the mkv File I made so I opened it in MediaInfo.

I Audio is 8. CH. this is what I selected so this was Right.

The Res. says 1920X1080 this is not 4. k what is going on?

I thought MakeMKV took the 4. k and put it in an mkv File?

What is going on?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Purchased UHD Blu-ray movies often include a Blu-ray disc too. Possibly you decrypted the Blu-ray copy by mistake.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need a 4k capable drive to rip the movie. A standard bluray drive is not (there are models that can be converted though)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Now when I put a Blu Ray in my Blu Ray Dive it MakeMKV tells me No Disc In Drive.

So I put a Blu Ray in I di before so I know MakeMKV can see it.

MakeMKV still tells me No Disc In Drive.

Is MakeMKV to Old I got the 2022 one?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you pay for makemkv?
    The free version will rip blu-ray but for 1 month, after that you need to buy or get a new key from the forum

Windows or Linux?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    Did you pay for makemkv?
    The free version will rip blu-ray but for 1 month, after that you need to buy or get a new key from the forum
    If I use the free version of MakeMKV with an expired key, the software tells me that the key is too old.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If I use the free version of MakeMKV with an expired key, the software tells me that the key is too old.
    The key is updated frequently as outlined here: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
    Warning! I'm baaaaaaaaack
    Quote Quote  
  8. I did put that code in and it opens but it tells me No Disc In Drive.

It does scan the Drive and I here it and the Bars go across the screen.

I just do not know why it would stop now.

I did try to install the Blu Ray Program Leawo Player and I could not get it to work.

Is there another Free but Basic Blu Ray Player I can try?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kayfam View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The key is updated frequently as outlined here: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
    I posted the above message because if biferi had an expired key then biferi would have seen that same message that I saw. However, he didn't mention any such notifications.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok I Re Installed the DVD Program I posted.

Then I opened AutoPlay and set everything.

I Plug my USB Blu Ray in and I can play my Blu Rays.

I then opened MakeMKV and put in my Blu Ray of Wrong Turn.

MakeMKV Loaded the Disc and I pick everything to save to the Hard Drive.

Everything worked good.

So I opened the Wrong Turn Movie that it put on my Hard Drive.

The Res. says 720X480 and also it says it is 4:3 Ratio.

This is a 4. k Blu Ray what is going on?

I thought I would try it again and MakeMKV tells me No Disc In Drive.

If this is a MakeMKV Problem is there any other Free Program to Copy Blu Rays to Hard Drive?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    Ok I Re Installed the DVD Program I posted.

Everything worked good.

If this is a MakeMKV Problem is there any other Free Program to Copy Blu Rays to Hard Drive?
    can you post pictures of your 4K discs and the box they came in
    just to confirm that they are actual 4K discs ??
    Quote Quote  
  12. Can anybody tell me if the Program DVDFab is Free?

Every Video on YouTube says it is.

After I Install it I open it and every Program in the List says Full Trial then to the Right it says Buy.

So this tells me I can try it but this is it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anybody tell me if the Program DVDFab is Free?

Every Video on YouTube says it is.

After I Install it I open it and every Program in the List says Full Trial then to the Right it says Buy.

So this tells me I can try it but this is it.
    dvdfab has a 30 day free trial on all of their products. (except for the UHD drive tool)
    after the 30 days you must buy a license to continue using the program.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I Re Installed the DVD Program I posted.

Everything worked good.

I don't know of any other free UHD Blu-ray rippers that you could use instead of MakeMKV.

For test purposes, I just tried ripping my UHD Blu-ray of "Avatar: The Way of Water" using the latest trial version of MakeMKV. I used the internal 5.25-inch Blu-ray drive installed in my HTPC. It is standard a Blu-ray drive with the ability to read and burn BDXL recordable media. It is an LG WH14NS40, which is a known "UHD-friendly" drive. I didn't flash it with replacement firmware.

MakeMKV says the drive has its original firmware and shows Libre Drive as enabled. After I clicked on the "Backup" icon and checked the decryption box in MakeMKV, I was able to successfully copy the entire disc to an HDD as Blu-ray decrypted files and folders.

MediaInfo says the MTS files containing the movie are 3849x2160 resolution. The individual MTS files are playable using VLC I installed Leawo Blu-ray player and the main movie started playing at the beginning. I didn't watch the whole movie to find out if Leawo Blu-ray could play the entire movie correctly since Avatar: The Way of Water is not a short film.

Unless you are not using a genuine UHD Blu-ray disc or your external Blu-ray drive is not a"UHD friendly" model I don't know what is causing your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another possibility would be that the drive is revoked. This happens when a newer aacs key from disc is read by the drive, it revokes all older keys. In that case you need a makemkv version that has a higher aacs key then the disc.

This won't be a problem if you have a drive that is libreDrive capable
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    Another possibility would be that the drive is revoked. This happens when a newer aacs key from disc is read by the drive, it revokes all older keys. In that case you need a makemkv version that has a higher aacs key then the disc.
    While this scenario is possible, it is not common. From what I was able to find online, it seems to show up mostly when someone is using VLC to play a Blu-ray on a computer running Linux.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I think I have it now?

I did have to Re Install MakeMKV.

Witch Settings should I check in MakeMKV?
    Quote Quote  
  18. If I put a Blu Ray Disc in Leawo Blu-ray Player opens and Plays the Blu Ray.

So my System can see the USB Blu Ray Drive

So I open MakeMKV and put a Disc in and this time I select my Blu Ray Drive from the list.

It scans the Disc and says No Disc.

So it is not my Drive because my System Plays it.
    It is not my System because my Computer Plays it.

So it must be MakeMKV.

I was going to Try HandBreak but I did not know if this was just for Converting Files?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So it must be MakeMKV.
    I don't think that is necessarily true. However, if it costs nothing to try the competing DVDFab product for UHD Blu-ray you might as well see if that works better.

I was going to Try HandBreak but I did not know if this was just for Converting Files?
    Handbrake is more or less just for converting. It can't decrypt regular Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I just put a Plane DVD Movie I have in and MakeMKV Scanned the Disc and gave me all the Titles to check or un check.

It put them all on my Computer ok.

It may be my USB Drive I have so I put what I have here.

NaCot External Blu Ray CD DVD Drive 3.0 Blu Ray Burner Reader BD CD DVD WR ROM for iMAC or PC MacOS Windows Black NKL27BLO

Is this of any help?

Do I need a Driver to play 4. k Blu Rays?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Blu Ray Burner
    How come you think it will rip uhd disks?, only certain bluray drives can be upgraded by loading a adjusted firmware, i can't tell if yours qualify

more info here
    https://www.dvdfab.cn/4k-uhd-drives.htm
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just put a Plane DVD Movie I have in and MakeMKV Scanned the Disc and gave me all the Titles to check or un check.

It put them all on my Computer ok.

It may be my USB Drive I have so I put what I have here.

NaCot External Blu Ray CD DVD Drive 3.0 Blu Ray Burner Reader BD CD DVD WR ROM for iMAC or PC MacOS Windows Black NKL27BLO

Is this of any help?

Do I need a Driver to play 4. k Blu Rays?
    I looked at the Amazon listing for your drive and read some of the reviews. It might be using refurbished used drives and doesn't seem like a reliable product. Long story short, I think you need to find a different, better-quality drive with known support for UHD Blu-ray ripping.

Based on the description, your NaCot drive appears to have the ability to both read and burn CDs and DVDs but is read-only for Blu-ray. The description explicitly says your drive can't read 4K/UHD Blu-ray discs. I didn't see the sort of specs that I normally see for any optical drive from a reputable brand so there is no way to tell if it can read BDXL media.

To rip retail UHD Blu-ray discs, a BD drive needs to be a true UHD Blu-ray drive or to have the ability to read BD-XL media. However, not all drive models with those specs are compatible. There is a list of drives known to support Blu-ray ripping in the MakeMKV forums. DVDFab has a similar list. As I recall, there aren't many slim USB drives on either list.

[Edit] Below is a link to a post at the MKV forums containing a list of current (as of 1/31/2023) compatible Blu-ray drive models with original firmware versions that allow them to be LibreDrives without flashing new firmware. Compatible drives and compatible firmware combinations are found under sections in the list marked "compatible".
    https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=79712#p79712
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 31st Dec 2023 at 14:24.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thank you for all the help and time.

I live in the USA and I see a lot of USB 3.0 4. k Blu Ray Drives on Amazon.

Is there any good one under $ 100.00 on Amazon?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for all the help and time.

I live in the USA and I see a lot of USB 3.0 4. k Blu Ray Drives on Amazon.

Is there any good one under $ 100.00 on Amazon?
    Unfortunately, slim Blu-ray drives are less durable than full-height Blu-ray drives and need to be replaced more frequently but if that is what you need, there are a few slim USB 3.0 external Blu-ray drives that can read BDXL media and are on MakeMKV's or DVDFab's list of models that work for ripping UHD Blu-ray. This is one of the ones on MakeMKV's list https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-External-Optical-WP50NB40/dp/B011327QXC/ However, recently manufactured units will need to be flashed with new firmware to rip UHD Blu-ray discs. I have a feeling that you may not be comfortable doing that. If so, there are people on MakeMKV's forums that sell pre-flashed drives at a significantly higher price.

Read this thread about flashing: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19634

YouTube video demonstrating how to flash a drive with that has encrypted firmware - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyQV1aPlbow
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Jan 2024 at 10:25.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    【Note】: blu ray burner do not play 4K Ultra HD discs.
    This is clearly mentioned on amazon so read it..
    Nope this one will not, stick to the recommended drives in makemkv forum or on dvdfab website.
    If it must be a external drive you can buy enclosure that fit those drives
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you buy a Blu-ray drive now that is compatible with ripping UHD Blu-ray, there is a nearly 100% chance that it will need to be flashed with alternative firmware for ripping. I have two full-height 5.25-inch internal Blu-ray drives that are both on the list of models that are compatible with MakeMKV for UHD Blu-ray ripping, an LG WH14NS40 (purchased in 2016) and an LG WH16NS60 (purchased in 2019).

The LG WH14NS40 is not a UHD Blu-ray drive but reads BDXL media. It was new enough to support UHD Blu-ray ripping but old enough that it did not need to be flashed with other firmware to become a Libre Drive. Its installed firmware version is so old that it includes no safeguards to prevent ripping UHD Blu-rays. Otherwise, it would have needed to be flashed. This model is still sold but it will almost certainly need to be flashed on account of being manufactured more recently,

The LG WH16NS60 is an official UHD Blu-ray drive that I bought specifically for watching UHD Blu-rays with a BDA-approved version of Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra that allowed it. I flashed it after Microsoft and Intel removed support for SGX so I could continue watching my UHD Blu-ray discs, although I must use other software video players that are not subject to the BDA's requirements. This model is no longer made and is hard to find. If you manage to get one, it will also need to be flashed with new firmware.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Jan 2024 at 16:03. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote