VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    How do I compare two or more videos together with mpv and VirtualDub2? Can AviSynth and VapourSynth do this as well? Also, how do I make mpv show a frame-by-frame timeline?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Both Avisynth and Vapoursynth have StackHorizontal and StackVertical methods which allow grouping multiple clips.

Also, how do I make mpv show a frame-by-frame timeline?
    You can step between frames using colon and comma iirc., but I don't think there is a frame based ui element in mpv. (mpv is a media player not an editor, so there really is no need for such a thing)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Both Avisynth and Vapoursynth have StackHorizontal and StackVertical methods which allow grouping multiple clips.

Also, how do I make mpv show a frame-by-frame timeline?
    You can step between frames using colon and comma iirc., but I don't think there is a frame based ui element in mpv. (mpv is a media player not an editor, so there really is no need for such a thing)
    How do I install StackHorizontal and StackVertical methods and use them through mpv and VirtualDub2?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You need to install avisynth and learn the basic usage . Load the videos using source filters and use StackHorizontal(video1, video2) . Vdub2 can open avs scripts

The script might look something like this

Code:
    video1 = LWLibavVideoSource("video1.mkv")
    video2 = LWLibavVideoSource("video2.mkv")

StackHorizontal(video1,video2)
    You can also use tabs in avspmod . Viewing videos side by side is often not very accurate - you miss details . Superimposing and flipping back and forth allows you to view details/problems more closely . Or say you wanted to compare 6 different versions. You can load each in tabs and swap instantaneously using number keys - easy to compare small details

Use search, as this topic is discussed in many other threads, in many forums.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You need to install avisynth and learn the basic usage . Load the videos using source filters and use StackHorizontal(video1, video2) . Vdub2 can open avs scripts

The script might look something like this

Code:
    video1 = LWLibavVideoSource("video1.mkv")
    video2 = LWLibavVideoSource("video2.mkv")

StackHorizontal(video1,video2)
    You can also use tabs in avspmod . Viewing videos side by side is often not very accurate - you miss details . Superimposing and flipping back and forth allows you to view details/problems more closely . Or say you wanted to compare 6 different versions. You can load each in tabs and swap instantaneously using number keys - easy to compare small details

Use search, as this topic is discussed in many other threads, in many forums.
    What does superimposing mean? Flipping back and forth? What should the search term be?
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's swapping videos in the same viewer. It's like tabs in a browser . When you use the number keys (or any hotkey you assign) the video is switched to that other version

Because the timelines are aligned and image is spatially aligned, there is "object permanence" in your mind's memory. You can swap back and forth between say, original, and encoded version to see the quality loss. Or let say you want to compare filters, or deinterlacers. You can load different versions in each tab. You can also zoom in or pan around to see the problems with mouse and mouse wheel . It's like imgsli the comparison website, but 10x better, faster and instant with hotkeys . You can check on any frame , not just 1 frame. When you seek to another frame, all versions are temporally aligned. Say you seek to frame 10475. All videos are now on 10475 and it's easy to compare small differences . It's still important to test playback characteristics , but this is just another complementary more detailed method for comparison analysis
    Quote Quote  
  7. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    just replace stackhorizontal(...) with interleave(...) in the script proposed by pdr to be loaded in Vdub2; for 2 videos is more than enough. For more videos, better AvsPmod.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's swapping videos in the same viewer. It's like tabs in a browser . When you use the number keys (or any hotkey you assign) the video is switched to that other version

Because the timelines are aligned and image is spatially aligned, there is "object permanence" in your mind's memory. You can swap back and forth between say, original, and encoded version to see the quality loss. Or let say you want to compare filters, or deinterlacers. You can load different versions in each tab. You can also zoom in or pan around to see the problems with mouse and mouse wheel . It's like imgsli the comparison website, but 10x better, faster and instant with hotkeys . You can check on any frame , not just 1 frame. When you seek to another frame, all versions are temporally aligned. Say you seek to frame 10475. All videos are now on 10475 and it's easy to compare small differences . It's still important to test playback characteristics , but this is just another complementary more detailed method for comparison analysis
    Does mpv, virtualdub2, and avspmod have superimposing? If not, what video players do?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post

Does mpv, virtualdub2, and avspmod have superimposing? If not, what video players do?

It's better described as "swapping"

avspmod for avisynth, or vsedit for vapoursynth

Video players do not, and they would be much slower and full of lag even if they could
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post

It's better described as "swapping"

avspmod for avisynth, or vsedit for vapoursynth

Video players do not, and they would be much slower and full of lag even if they could
    How do I use them for swapping? What if one video is frames ahead of the other?
    Quote Quote