VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm am now getting this error message from Subtitle Workshop, all versions.

"The following error (HniFileException) was derived from object TffmSetDelay (frmSetDelay): Unable to write to C:\video V>ubt) tie WorkshopWSubtitleWorkshop.ini"

As this started happening after a K-Lite Codec Update, my guess is that it modified something it shouldn't have.

Is there a way to go back before the update?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I could get to solve the problem by uninstalling the latest K-Lite package version, and installing a previous one from 2023.

Things got back to normal on all programs that were showing errors.

I wonder who to get in contact with to communicate these errors and having them take a look at the update changes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I wonder who to get in contact with to communicate these errors and having them take a look at the update changes.
    K-Lite is from https://codecguide.com/ and their forum for such things is available under https://codecs.forumotion.net/

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would uninstall k-lite and install just needed codecs such as lav filter.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the problem has returned. So I tried uninstalling latest Windows 10 updates, but now I'm getting the same message that copied on my first entry up above.

I tried uninstalling the K-Lite I had installed, because I need some codecs, so I put an older one. Nothing.

What are the codecs I do need and how I install them separately?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am clueless.

Problems are back, even just installing only the LAV filters pack.

The problems seem to be with several video processing programs I use, like Subtitle Workshop (in all its versions) and all MKVtoolnix programs that I always used for many things, like merging videos and extracting subtitles.

For me this a serious problem, because I have been using all mentioned programs every single day, and now I can't.

Makes me think of re-installing Windows 10 from the beginning all over again, but it would be a mess and a tremendous problem to do all that, to start with by getting a new SSD for C:.

Please suggest on how should I proceed to re-establish things as they were. Or give some guides on what should I try. It seems a codec question, but I don't know which.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another clue. Now the error problem is happening on my laptop to. For now it's only happening with Subtitle Workshop

It seems obvious that, considering it was working fine until recently, any of the updates has altered things.

The only updates I had on both computers were from Windows and K-Lite packs.

Tried uninstalling some 2023 updates from both and the problem continued. So I guess that uninstall didn't work as it should, getting ALL things as they were before.

This is now my main concern: that the uninstallation is not total. Some things may be turning back to how they were before.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you looked to see if there is a system restore point you can use to revert Windows
    to when all was well?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately all the restore points are very recent, posterior to when the problems started. I have to do Restore Points often, that Windows can not erase.

I believe Windows does it on purpose, making difficult for an user to go much behind in restoring, by deleting files that were changed.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You haven't explained when this error appears. Is it when you first start Subtitle Workshop, or
    after you initiate some action?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try subtitle edit,my be better for you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did try SE, as I use if for other purposes. It's much more inferior and less intuitive than SW.

No good SE tutorial I could find.

No other subtitle programs that I could find either.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    Did try SE, as I use if for other purposes. It's much more inferior and less intuitive than SW.

No good SE tutorial I could find.

No other subtitle programs that I could find either.
    Please answer post #11
    Are you using the install or portable version?
    Last edited by davexnet; 4th Jan 2024 at 19:05.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You haven't explained when this error appears. Is it when you first start Subtitle Workshop, or
    after you initiate some action?
    When I want to activate some correction of any kind: it's when the error shows, and turns the program off.

It happens with all Subtitle Workshop number versions, in install or portable mode.

I also mentioned that it occurs with MKVToolnix programs. I wonder what they have in common with SW programs.
    Quote Quote