VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    My self built PC with Windows 7 has served me well for more than 10 years but now it's time to upgrade to Windows 10/11.
    What I want to build is a PC which can "comfortably" host virtual machines (one running per time) whose guests will be Windows 7 and XP and Linux machines.
    Why am I asking here at VideoHelp Forums?
    Well, I also want the host machine to be able to handle the guest machines in their full capabilities such as running multimedia software, video players, video streaming, gaming etc. etc..
    Could you guys please give me an idea of what I need to buy so that I can compare with my hardware and decide if I can use some of it or do I need to start from scratch with a new system?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tried View Post
    My self built PC with Windows 7 has served me well for more than 10 years but now it's time to upgrade to Windows 10/11.
    What I want to build is a PC which can "comfortably" host virtual machines (one running per time) whose guests will be Windows 7 and XP and Linux machines.
    Why am I asking here at VideoHelp Forums?
    Well, I also want the host machine to be able to handle the guest machines in their full capabilities such as running multimedia software, video players, video streaming, gaming etc. etc..
    Could you guys please give me an idea of what I need to buy so that I can compare with my hardware and decide if I can use some of it or do I need to start from scratch with a new system?
    Start by checking if your current PC hardware would allow you to upgrade to Windows 10 or Windows 11.

If the answer is no, then you would need to decide on your budget and how much you want to spend.
    I suspect that for a new PC, the only parts that you can salvage is the power supply if it is rated at least 600W. Anything below just keep it and try to sell your current PC later on after you build a new PC, perhaps someone might be interested in it.
    I used in the past virtual machine from Oracle https://www.virtualbox.org/
    It worked well.

For a new PC build, the hardware will depend mainly on the motherboard chipset. I use Intel made motherboards and the highest level chipset today AFAIK is Z790. There are cheaper MB's with lower chipsets like B760 for example. ATX size is recommended.
    Other parts you will need is:
    1 - CPU LGA1700 socket (Version 13)
    2 - Cooler for CPU (I have liquid cooler)
    3 - PSU at least 850W-1000W
    4 - Case for ATX Motherboard
    5 - M.2 SSD (1 TB is recommended)
    6 - RAM DIMM (32GB is recommended)
    7 - Windows 11 Pro (OEM or retail Key is very cheap)
    8 - SSD 1TB for extra storage
    9 - GPU (Most expensive part at least 8GB-12GB VRAM)
    10 - Monitor (4K is recommended, but you can use your current monitor if you are happy with it)
    11 - Keyboard and Mouse set Wireless

Good luck with the new build. You will enjoy building it no doubt.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I think that you checked all boxes in the right way.
    I agree regarding what Intel typology to choose (LGA 1700, Z790 DDR5 RAM) but I also would like to compare with an AMD system if that makes sense.
    There is too much to choose from regarding the tens of different motherboards available right now so that will be the hardest job.
    My current system has one of the latest built motherboards which allowed the installation of Windows 7 but now it's time to change so I'll reset it, reinstall Windows and sell it.
    So what are the main key points for a host system running fully operative guest systems?
    A lot of RAM (32GB DDR5), a fast CPU (maybe Intel i9 12900K), a M.2 SSD and a fast GPU, is that all?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not familiar with AMD CPU.
    Intel i9 is quite expensive I chose i7-13700K which is 13th generation.
    My motherboard is Asus Prime Z790-A-Wifi if that can help you in any way.
    Luckily for me I was able to pay for the expensive hardware in 12 installments which didn't make a big hole in my pocket.

Edit: Your current PC is probably capable of running Windows 10 so if you are going to sell it later on, you will have better luck to find a buyer instead of it having Windows 7.
    Last edited by Subtitles; 27th Dec 2023 at 07:32.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks very much for your help, I feel like you go straight to the point with knowledge.
    Regarding the motherboard, I was looking at the same model, my priority is a motherboard with no more than TWO PCI x16 slots and there are only a few models around.
    I was reluctant to use Windows 10 because with Windows 7 I can do all I need so why upgrade?
    But after years of trials and mistakes Windows 10 has become a very stable OS, shame on Microsoft for stopping the support, but we know it's all about business.
    Windows 11 is a shame and a waste of time, just look at the context menu, you need to open two different menus to achieve what I can do with just one click in Windows 7.
    I wish you enjoy your PC beauty and the holidays!
    Last edited by tried; 27th Dec 2023 at 15:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use an i5 13600k with 128GB DDR4 on an Z790 motherboard with all in one liquid cooler and RTX3070 GFX card

The PSU is 1KW, mainly down to the RTX3070 when running flat out at max video settings and ray tracing on with games like Forza 5

I also use VMWare Workstation and have 16GB RAM for the top end virtual machines running windows 11 to create portable software for my use and also virtual machines for other uses. It runs all memory in one with no splitting of the vmem file on a dedicated 1TB SN570 NVME purely for virtual machines work

I use a WD Black 1TB NVME as a boot drive and it boots fast, from turn on to Windows 11 Pro up and ready to use in about 15 seconds

Plus 5TB USB hard drives for storage

I built a brand new desktop system with every component new about 12 months ago except keyboard, mouse and monitor (that will be replaced with 24 inch at some point soon as its now approaching 10 years old)

I hadn't build a new machine for years, updating as and when around an i7 4790k with huge air cooler mainly with 2nd user good brand gaming motherboard and DDR3 32GB. GFX card than was a GTX1650 that now runs a bartop mini pinball cabinet I built and importantly portable-ish 21 inch playfield and 15 inch backglass. The motherboard was damaged in storage, which cost me about £100 2nd user so wasn't happy but my fault so bought another much cheaper as no intention to overclock and bought 2nd user monitors for the bartop pinball project which all work fine. I still have another spare i7 4790k for future projects

I was Intel for years, went to AMD purely on cost (still boxed motherboard and CPU for yet another future project) at that time but went back to Intel a few years back when the i7 4790k was fairly new. I've always preferred Intel cpu
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I built a brand new desktop system with every component new about 12 months ago except keyboard, mouse and monitor (that will be replaced with 24 inch at some point soon as its now approaching 10 years old)
    My first built was the glorious Athlon XP with the now defunct Abit motherboard, that was an absolute winner and I regret that I had to give it away because it was too old.
    But brand wise, I've found that it's very hard to decide which one is the best, maybe AMD has a better value for the money but also some people have very different and conflicting opinions.
    I'll go to the i9 (or AMD equivalent) and DDR5 path so the system will last as long as possible.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tried View Post
    My first built was the glorious Athlon XP with the now defunct Abit motherboard, that was an absolute winner and I regret that I had to give it away because it was too old.
    But brand wise, I've found that it's very hard to decide which one is the best, maybe AMD has a better value for the money but also some people have very different and conflicting opinions.
    I'll go to the i9 (or AMD equivalent) and DDR5 path so the system will last as long as possible.
    Please let us know your final decision.
    Choosing the case was a real challenge for me. In the end I chose Fractal Design Define 7 Compact with dark tinted glass. My old PC was also Fractal Design but had a longer depth about 10cm.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Choosing the case was a real challenge for me
    I'm experiencing the same issue due to the sizes, the case mustn't be wider than 250mm.
    I don't really care about glass and RGB Christmas like lights so my case must be as neat and clean as possible so I won't turn the lights ON.
    My choices right now are Corsair 4000D Airflow, NZXT H7 Flow, Zalman i3 NEO and Zalman Z10 09.
    I give priority to bigger fans because they run slower compared to the smaller ones so they are quieter.
    My current system has a Cooler Master CM 690-3 case and I believe that this is the best case they ever made.
    1x 200mm fan on top, 1x 180mm fan on the front and 1x 120mm on the back.
    The case is very silent, did I say silent?
    I'll update on my final system
    Quote Quote