VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can the output of an NTSC VHS in a multi-system VCR display on a computer? I am curious about affordable methods of digitizing VHS tapes to the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What's the VCR exact model and make? Some cards are not compatible with PAL60 or NTSC 4.43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A real multisystem vcr should output real PAL and real NTSC most of the time, (depending the tape's system) some combo recorders, do this also because you can copy a NTSC VHS to a DVD that will be a NTSC DVD same is valid for PAL tapes, you have to set PAL or NTSC mode before that, in either case, a DVD can only have NTSC recordings or only PAL recordings.
    Cheap vcr's clearly state if they can play a "foreign" tv system VHS tape, this is/was done for CRT tv's that accept PAL60 or NTSC50.
    Most of the time PAL60/NTSC50 over the RCA/miniDIN output, will not work for a capture device, there are only few exeptions in that.
    You should check out the manual of the VCR in question, because a multi system vcr, also needs a multi system tv, so the manual will explain that. (I guess there are also multi system vcr's that can convert….)
    Check also the manual of the capture device.

btw, if the tape is NTSC, or PAL you don't need to convert to one or the other, you leave it in PAL or NTSC, once digitized, it doesn't matter anymore.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 2nd Jan 2024 at 04:52.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What's the VCR exact model and make? Some cards are not compatible with PAL60 or NTSC 4.43.
    Sony SLV-ED40SG, which I have just received from a relative.
    Also, another question. From what I understand, the Hauppauge USB Live 2 is among the best capture cards for digitizing VHS, and that it should be able to handle any output from Multi-system VCRs. Is my understanding correct? If that is false in any capacity, which capture cards are better (or do different methods altogether yield significantly superior results)?

A real multisystem vcr should output real PAL and real NTSC most of the time
    Looks like my VCR can do real NTSC and PAL playback. I understood that all multi-system VCRs display "fake" NTSC, but I suppose I am wrong about this.
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1131558/Sony-Slv-Ed10me.html?page=3#manual
    https://www.manualslib.com/products/Sony-Slv-Ed40sg-4061553.html

multi system vcr, also needs a multi system tv
    I assume any digital TV with component outlets can display video from any VCR VHS? By the way, I will have no TV to play this back on (my TV has no component outlets). It would be more convenient for me to play and record VHS on computer.

Thank you for the replies people.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, everybody is talking about their own experiences, i'm in a PAL country, when working with different tv-systems, i found it "handy" to "monitor" via SCART, (composite) because no matter any version of PAL or NTSC i can view (on a Sony Bravia LCD tv) a color picture, i have to set my capture device to the right tv-system it is receiving, otherwise i can't capture, (no auto detecting) i connect my capture device to composite, miniDIN or RCA-RGB (YUV)
    The manual of your VCR/combo will tell you how to select your output, if some can't be used at the same time, SCART will always display what the VCR is playing, quality you capture will depend on which output you use to capture
    You can decide for yourself which output quality you like.

btw... i guess my Sony Bravia (digital) LCD tv does auto switch to PAL, NTSC, PAL60, or NTSC50, that might be the same for you.
    btw2 you talk about component, it's not composite ? it's a great difference ! composite is the yellow RCA, component are the red,green,blue RCA's.
    btw3 the manuals you linked are service manuals with lots of info you don't need, and also valid for different models, this can be very confusing to find out what's valid for your model, NTSC and PAL models can have different hard or software within them.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 2nd Jan 2024 at 05:02.
    Quote Quote