VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I am new to the VideoHelp.com forum, and this Subtitle section. My project is to combine two SRT files (in different languages) that do not synch, the offset is not constant. There is an editor called Subtitle Mixer (aka Submixer) v 1.0.0.9 b Federico Firenze and found on Sourceforge.net
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/subtitlemixer/

It was practical and easy to use by comparing the two files side by side to sync from the source (i.e. reference) merge file and the secondary file, which has time encoding differences. It operates similarly to WinMerge which I also used to compare my files.
    I found very little about it and it doesn't save as UTF-8 so it is cumbersome to clean up the special characters for example in French and Czech. I just came across Subtitle Edit 4.0.3 by Nikolaj Olsson, and it is an impressive tool hopefully easy to get started with.

1) Is Subtitle Mixer 1.0.0.9 (Sourceforge) a safe and legitimate program to use?

2)Would it be a safer and easier tool to stream the synchronization process?

SE might be helpful to generate a file that would make large chunks of time code (in column format) easy to cut and paste over since for the most part the sequence subtitles are translated 1 to 1 from the original version to the second (or third) language - then, converting it back to SRT.

The desired results are SRT files for each language and a combined SRT file to watch movies in bilingual mode to help learn them at home or on the go. I am installing and getting started with SE over the break.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dloa View Post
    Hi,
    I am new to the VideoHelp.com forum, and this Subtitle section. My project is to combine two SRT files (in different languages) that do not synch, the offset is not constant. There is an editor called Subtitle Mixer (aka Submixer) v 1.0.0.9 b Federico Firenze and found on Sourceforge.net
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/subtitlemixer/

It was practical and easy to use by comparing the two files side by side to sync from the source (i.e. reference) merge file and the secondary file, which has time encoding differences. It operates similarly to WinMerge which I also used to compare my files.
    I found very little about it and it doesn't save as UTF-8 so it is cumbersome to clean up the special characters for example in French and Czech. I just came across Subtitle Edit 4.0.3 by Nikolaj Olsson, and it is an impressive tool hopefully easy to get started with.

1) Is Subtitle Mixer 1.0.0.9 (Sourceforge) a safe and legitimate program to use?

2)Would it be a safer and easier tool to stream the synchronization process?

SE might be helpful to generate a file that would make large chunks of time code (in column format) easy to cut and paste over since for the most part the sequence subtitles are translated 1 to 1 from the original version to the second (or third) language - then, converting it back to SRT.

The desired results are SRT files for each language and a combined SRT file to watch movies in bilingual mode to help learn them at home or on the go. I am installing and getting started with SE over the break.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.
    Do you have one audio stream or two?

The easiest way to do this might be to use the video with the srt file which is in synch and use Google Translate (using SubtitleEdit) to translate to the other language. This way you will have both srt files in synch.
    If you have two audio streams then it can be a bit more complicated. Just let us know first what do you have.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is one audio track in Czech and I found at least English subtitles files, in some cases Czech too - they are not all well synced up. I'm interested in synchronizing and merging them into Cz/Eng or Cz/French, I'm bilingual French-English and learning Czech.

In terms of formatting, the text is often split into two lines, and with two languages that's four lines It looks like sometimes it could be compacted and some line breaks removed resulting one one per language. I'm trying to understand if is there a function to do that. SE is very well made and I looking forward to mastering it better.

I had some success with the synchronization tool using a sync point file. Interestingly they were not merged into the same start time sequence item. I'm curious to see how well the subtitle (google or Deepl) translation does.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dloa View Post
    There is one audio track in Czech and I found at least English subtitles files, in some cases Czech too - they are not all well synced up. I'm interested in synchronizing and merging them into Cz/Eng or Cz/French, I'm bilingual French-English and learning Czech.

In terms of formatting, the text is often split into two lines, and with two languages that's four lines It looks like sometimes it could be compacted and some line breaks removed resulting one one per language. I'm trying to understand if is there a function to do that. SE is very well made and I looking forward to mastering it better.

I had some success with the synchronization tool using a sync point file. Interestingly they were not merged into the same start time sequence item. I'm curious to see how well the subtitle (google or Deepl) translation does.
    It can get a bit messy having two subtitles languages and four lines. This is not the way to learn a new language, unless this video is a special course on how to learn Czech.
    The best way to learn any language including Czech is to DIY with courses like Teach Yourself series.
    There is a course that costs $45 hardcover and in Kindle only $5. I think it is worth it if you are series about wanting to learn Czech.
    https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Czech-Beginner-Intermediate-Course-ebook/dp/B007TH39P0...3522671&sr=8-1
    You can download the audio files using your mobile.
    Quote Quote