VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Shoul I be using another type of filter other than antialiasing to repair this?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Downscaling to the original resolution, filtering then properly upscaling might also work in some cases. Probably not here since the upscaling factor is too high in relation to the noise&co and overall quality. (Sometimes using QTGMC mode > 0 also can help, but not with such strong aliasing.)
    Machine learning filters that do general restoration filtering might also be able to help, but will be slow.

Removing aliasing artifacts seems what anti-aliasing filters are made for, so what is wrong using them?

Since you mentioned Santiag, what settings did you use to get rid of those aliasing artifacts? (I doubt the default values will work)

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. i am embarking on converting over 1000 dvd from a variety of sources, good bad and indifferent picture quality and am astounded at what handbrake can do,especially if left alone and not filtered too much, also my 14 year old sony 1080p non smart tv and its filters. Conclusion , less is more.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Downscaling to the original resolution, filtering then properly upscaling might also work in some cases. Probably not here since the upscaling factor is too high in relation to the noise&co and overall quality. (Sometimes using QTGMC mode > 0 also can help, but not with such strong aliasing.)
    Machine learning filters that do general restoration filtering might also be able to help, but will be slow.

Removing aliasing artifacts seems what anti-aliasing filters are made for, so what is wrong using them?

Since you mentioned Santiag, what settings did you use to get rid of those aliasing artifacts? (I doubt the default values will work)

Cu Selur
    Thanks, and sorry for the delay in response. I tried using the santiag filter as follows but it's not doing much:
    HTML Code:
    santiag(strh=3, strv=3, type="nnedi3", nns=1, nsize=6, aa=48, aac=0, scaler_post="Spline36Resize")
    I ended up using:
    HTML Code:
    BicubicResize(640, 480)
    santiag(strh=2, strv=2, type="nnedi3", nns=1, nsize=6, aa=48, aac=0, scaler_post="Spline36Resize")
    Are there any suggestions you would recommend I learn?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I tried using the santiag filter as follows but it's not doing much:
    That's what I thought, those stepping artifacts seemed too strong to be fixable by normal antialiasing.

Are there any suggestions you would recommend I learn?
    Learning about Vapoursynth and ml filters might be interesting/beneficial when restoring old content.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not interlaced, but if you separate the fields, one field is quite a bit worse than the other.
    Perhaps this can be used to devise a strategy:
    Code:
    LWLibAvVideoSource("c:\users\davex\downloads\Christmas shopping in 1988.mp4").trim(140,0)
    separatefields()
    selecteven()
    Quote Quote