VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey there I'm looking to burn a few downloaded movies which are out of print onto a Verbatim DVD+R DL disc which claims to have a maximum capacity of 8.5 GB and 240 minutes.

Does anyone know what will happen if I try to fit say three or four films onto one disc but the total VOB size is still less than 8.5GB but the total minutes exceed 240?

I normally convert the mp4 or mkv files to VOB using winxdvd author and then create the menu using dvdstyler and burn using imgburn. It seems like dvdstyler will allow me to create the dvd as long as the VOB files combined are below 8.5GB but doesn't seem to care about exceeding 240 minutes!

Does anyone know if there will a major loss of picture or sound quality if I burn these to a disc?

Any help would be appreciated from anyone thats attempted to do this themselves in the past. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's all a Q. of bitrate. The lower the bitrate to squeeze more playback time the lower the potential quality.

Take a single-sided disk which claims 2 hours of recording/playback. That, itself, can equate to an approx 4000 kbps bitrate which, itself, is not an exact figure since it depends also on the audio. Increase the playback time will reduce the bitrate and quality. Audio quality does not change since that is fixed.

I have always used a simple formula for a single-sided disk. 1 hour * 8000 kbps. 90 mins * 6000 kbps. 120 mins * 4000 kbps. Anything more and you are asking for trouble (unless you go down to half D1 which will affect playback enjoyment especially on larger screens)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Also to mention: DVD+R DL have 7,91GB real capacity, Single Layer 4,38GB

In my experience SL-DVD are more reliable than DL-DVD
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    It's all a Q. of bitrate. The lower the bitrate to squeeze more playback time the lower the potential quality.

Take a single-sided disk which claims 2 hours of recording/playback. That, itself, can equate to an approx 4000 kbps bitrate which, itself, is not an exact figure since it depends also on the audio. Increase the playback time will reduce the bitrate and quality. Audio quality does not change since that is fixed.

I have always used a simple formula for a single-sided disk. 1 hour * 8000 kbps. 90 mins * 6000 kbps. 120 mins * 4000 kbps. Anything more and you are asking for trouble (unless you go down to half D1 which will affect playback enjoyment especially on larger screens)
    You'll have to forgive me as I'm a newbie so are you saying that if I take say three seperate film VOB's and put them into dvdstyler to create the menu and DVD and the three films combined come to roughly 270 minutes in length that dvdstyler will automatically lower the bitrate and downgrade the picture quality from the orginal VOB files?

In that case is it best to stick to only putting two 120 minutes movies onto one dual layer DVD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firstly, I do not think that dvdstyler can re-process VOBs. One dvd will have several VOBs each of .99 gb. You could, however, convert those VOBs to mpeg using vob2mpeg and then import these into dvdstyler

Then, let's say fo argument sake that the original dvd filled a 4 gb single-sided disk. So three could well equate to 12 gb. 12 into 8 will not go so there must be a reduction in bitrate to compensate.

Well if those two 120 minute movies are only on single-layer disks then, yes. You have to inspect the actual disk to see just how many vobs there are since commercial disks are rarely single-sided @ 120 mins. So there is still potential reduction in bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Firstly, I do not think that dvdstyler can re-process VOBs. One dvd will have several VOBs each of .99 gb. You could, however, convert those VOBs to mpeg using vob2mpeg and then import these into dvdstyler

Then, let's say fo argument sake that the original dvd filled a 4 gb single-sided disk. So three could well equate to 12 gb. 12 into 8 will not go so there must be a reduction in bitrate to compensate.

Well if those two 120 minute movies are only on single-layer disks then, yes. You have to inspect the actual disk to see just how many vobs there are since commercial disks are rarely single-sided @ 120 mins. So there is still potential reduction in bitrate.
    Ok thank you unfortunately I don't have the original film discs as I'm converting a few film mp4 and mkv files to vob that I've downloaded online so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or if they will retain the same quality even if I exceed the 240 min mark?
    Quote Quote