VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc
    In DVDStyler you can set the DAR 4:3, crop to 704(x576) and encode as 704(x576), and it uses the correct PAR for the DVD. Am I missing something?
    I suspect so. Cropping does not fix the lack of PAR in the 0riginal file. One has to untick "Keep aspect ratio" in DVDStyler. It will then stretch the video out to fill the frame. Perhaps your script somehow inserts a PAR/DAR/SAR that DVDStyler uses to correctly interpret the 4:3.

For a simple insertion of the original ULY2 file, you have to untick Keep Aspect Ratio.

[Attachment 75884 - Click to enlarge]

While it's pretty impressive seeing the results you people are achieving here, I fear we're moving away from a practical solution for Ferrrari420.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I fear we're moving away from a practical solution for Ferrrari420.
    True, but I think we have given Ferrrari420 practical solutions – we just haven't gotten any feedback yet to provide further help, if needed.

To be honest, I quite enjoy how this thread has evolved. It's like an expert group discussing about MPEG2 encoding. I haven't had that in quite a while! This year starts pretty cool.

3. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    One has to untick "Keep aspect ratio" in DVDStyler.
    Of course you have to untick the "Keep Aspect Ratio". Otherwise you can't even crop manually in DVDStyler.
    The GUI authors have to decide on what to put as default settings. It may be 50% right and 50% wrong of the use cases, depending on the source and target format. Even when using nice GUIs one has to know what one is doing, but as things happen under the hood one has sometimes to 'experiment' to understand the effect of the buttons, dropdown menus and tick boxes.

Ferraris capture is 720x576, interlaced, according to Rec601, as it shoud be. So it has small bars left and right, and DVDStyler does not have to "fix" anything. All you have to remember for Rec601 compliant (as it should be, unless the capture infrastructure or drivers are crap) analog captures is to cut 16 pixels in total off the sides, select the frame size to 704x576 in DVDStyler (which is DVD spec compliant), encode accordingly as 4:3 DAR. Now you can relax and flush all the worries whether 4:3 is 1.33 or 1.36, 2% AR error or not, any PAR signalling on or off, make a detour via square pixels etc. All within 1 or 2 pixels accuracy (as the "true" width of a Rec.601 PAL capture is about 702 pixels rather than 704).

Originally Posted by Alwyn
    Perhaps your script somehow inserts a PAR/DAR/SAR that DVDStyler uses to correctly interpret the 4:3.
    No. DVD doesn't even specify the PAR explicitly. It just knows 3:4 or 16:9 DAR. The PAR follows implicitly from the cropping and 704x576 4:3 encoding as explained above.
    P.S. I am neither defending nor critizising any of the nice GUIs here
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-03 095827.png
Views:	16
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	75916  

Last edited by Sharc; 3rd Jan 2024 at 03:00. Reason: Screenshot added

Search Comp PM
    Methinks we are all working to a common goal - to provide the OP with an acceptable dvd. The lack of feedback could well be down to the holdidays (or being blinded by 'science')

Whilst the general consenus is to use avisynth, this is a path that the OP, like many others, may not wish to go down. Even so, it could be useful if a little tutorage as to how a script can be fed into DVDStyler would not go amiss - for the life of me I could not see that option. And I originally chose avstodvd since I thought it a more simple program - shame about the chroma fault (even if it is generally un-noticable at normal playback)

But just to add to the DVDStyler debate, I have, and this time I do promise, created a basic dvd. I left bitrate at the max. With my poor eyes I do not know if that chroma issue is still there.
    Image Attached Files

5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Even so, it could be useful if a little tutorage as to how a script can be fed into DVDStyler would not go amiss - for the life of me I could not see that option.
    Drag and drop the .avs onto the assets area of DVDStyler. Wait a few seconds to let DVDStyler import it. Could it be any simpler?
    And there is a Help and documentation in the home page. GUI lovers seem to expect a button for eveything
    (Again: I am not defending or bashing any tool here )
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-02 102602.png
Views:	13
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	75894  

Last edited by Sharc; 2nd Jan 2024 at 03:29.

Search Comp PM
    ^^Indeed not. But there again the obvious is typically over-looked for a more complex solution

7. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Methinks we are all working to a common goal - to provide the OP with an acceptable dvd.
    Here the debate begins: What is "acceptable" ? What is "watchable"? Do we know Ferrari's expectations? One may have his chopsticks in the nose, in the ears, in the eyes, or in the brain. There are options.
    I think we should still point out the issues and pitfalls which can be (easily) avoided. There remains still enough which can go wrong.

Search Comp PM
    Very true my friend.

And for all we know, the OP has already decided on a route for dvd authoring since that was NOT the original question.

9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Very true my friend.

And for all we know, the OP has already decided on a route for dvd authoring since that was NOT the original question.
    The answer to the original question has been given in the first few replies: Keep it interlaced for DVD. So it is actually moot to discuss the "best" deinterlacer.

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You guys are impressive using your own time to work through an example of various corrections to get the best video out. Well done! I wish learning all this stuff didn't take months of reading to figure it all out....

11. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But just to add to the DVDStyler debate, I have, and this time I do promise, created a basic dvd. I left bitrate at the max. With my poor eyes I do not know if that chroma issue is still there.
    It's still there in your DVD_test.zip of post#124.
    My last attempt for the GUIs: Try this basic script as input for the GUIs, instead of using the .avi source directly. May also help with AVS2DVD, (together with the other manual interactions as discussed earlier for AVS2DVD).
    Code:
    AVISource("Original Sample.avi") #or try other source filters as well
    assumeTFF()
    converttoYV12(interlaced=true)
    #put the filters here if any
    return last
    Any filtering needs to be done YV12 interlace compliant of course.
    Last edited by Sharc; 3rd Jan 2024 at 04:00.

Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I'm done for now.

Really, we need to hear from the OP (although I am sure that others will benefit if they bother to read rather than ask the self-same Q.'s in new topics)

13. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Thanks. I'm done for now.

Really, we need to hear from the OP (although I am sure that others will benefit if they bother to read rather than ask the self-same Q.'s in new topics)
    I am at the stage right now where I'm almost done deinterlacing all of my videos with Yadif TFF. I decided not to denoise, but split the videos that go for more than 2 hours. I chose Yadif TFF to maintain the original framerate. That's the way I want to do it. It's all gone well except there's a small problem. There are deinterlacing artifacts in two of my videos, in one at the beginning of the video on the white car and in the second one in certain parts, particularly on white walls, a green and red pattern appears. In VirtualDub you can see the pattern both when TFF and BFF are selected, and only when blend is chosen does the pattern disappear. Tomorrow I will attach my original samples.

14. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I am at the stage right now where I'm almost done deinterlacing all of my videos with Yadif TFF. I decided not to denoise, but split the videos that go for more than 2 hours. I chose Yadif TFF to maintain the original framerate. That's the way I want to do it.
    Well, at least I hope that all the efforts made by Sharc and Skiller will be useful for people not willing to butcher their videos

Search Comp PM
    And not only these - I do not count myself in the mix.

But the OP started with a question. The question was answered in the manner it should have been and has been totally ignored. It's fine to do it 'the way I want to' unless that way flies with all proper methods.

And people may not be so keen to assist in the future due to this percieved ignorance.

16. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, sorry if I forgot you and others!

And people may not be so keen to assist in the future due to this percieved ignorance.
    Well, the info and indications provided in this thread will be very useful for the readers, I am sure

17. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

But the OP started with a question. The question was answered in the manner it should have been and has been totally ignored. It's fine to do it 'the way I want to' unless that way flies with all proper methods.

Well that's an overstatement of the century. Why don't you list how I haven't been "flying" with the proper methods, seeing how smart you are? Why don't you enlighten me, oh mighty one? All you've contributed to this thread is arrogance towards me and trying to get a rise out of me by belittling me at every opportunity. Do you think you represent the group here? You lack so much respect that you can't even address me directly, instead you talk to me like I'm not even here. How dare you?

Search Comp PM
    Well I am sorry I punctured your thin skin.

It is quite mormal around here to refer to the person who started a thread as 'The OP' (Original Poster if you require a translation). It is not a derogatory term but you appear to have taken it that way.

And I, some days ago, tried to explain your absence. My arrogance ? Do me a favour.

Well good luck with your dvds and if you want any more assistance it will not come from me - and I have been doing this (as have those who tried to help) for more years than I care to admit.

And BTW. If you have ANY issue with my posts, there is a 'Report' function rather than wash your dirty linen in public.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    I really wonder that members who have been here for decades are still struggling with this basic video knowledge and testing methods
    That was my thought as I was reading this trainwreck of a thread .

The 2 fields may however be pictures from the same instant in time, hence there is no motion between the 2 fields of a frame.
    Preach, preach! This is why the dogma of "deinterlacing to 25/29.97 is throwing away data" is nonsense.

In an ideal world, yes, you'd always deinterlace to full temporal depth. Of course that requires interpolation vertically, and creating new data can be just as bad as "throwing away" data. But the dogma is just BS, because it's not an ideal world. There are specs, and there are artifacts due to interpolation. You do as best as possible, meaning you sometimes deinterlace to the source frame rate. This is why QTGMC has many settings and options.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

20. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well I am sorry I punctured your thin skin.

It is quite mormal around here to refer to the person who started a thread as 'The OP' (Original Poster if you require a translation). It is not a derogatory term but you appear to have taken it that way.

And I, some days ago, tried to explain your absence. My arrogance ? Do me a favour.

Well good luck with your dvds and if you want any more assistance it will not come from me - and I have been doing this (as have those who tried to help) for more years than I care to admit.

And BTW. If you have ANY issue with my posts, there is a 'Report' function rather than wash your dirty linen in public.
    That's not what I was talking about. I replied to your post and you started calling me ignorant and criticizing me, referring to me via third person to someone else instead of just responding to my reply respectfully.

You criticized my absence and made me look bad just because I had other things to do in real life, and you made it look as though I'm self-important and that's why I wasn't responding to people's posts.

I couldn't care less. All you do is insult me anyway.

That's a double standard. You provoked me for 5 threads worth of posts and turned people against me by painting me black and then when I finally exposed you, this is what you have to say for yourself. You should do everyone a favour and report your own posts.
    Last edited by Ferrari420; 4th Jan 2024 at 03:43.

Search Comp PM
    Oh deary me. Is it me being 'thick' here or are you actually refering to the wrong person here ? In fact there is one post - not by me - that accuses you of being a former member. I see no response to that and neither have I any recollection of that former member.

I asked for a sample video twice.Maybe three. Commented when you merely filmed your tv screen. And even thanked you when you eventually uploaded the sample (see post #53). Yes. We all have 'real' lives beyond the forum. Noone is on here 24/7.

Beyond that, pls educate me where I actually insulted you ? You were asking about deinterlacing and dvd creation. You even stated earlier that you were wrong in your assumption and could create a dvd WITHOUT deinterlacing which is what I actually refer to as 'accepted' yet then you, for some unexplained reason, chose to actually deinterlace all your videos. But then I also assume that you are still creating dvds.

Maybe my biggest mistake was trying to help in the first place. But if I percieve to be wrongly accused, or insulted, I will always respond in the appropiate manner.