VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Brand new Windows 11 laptop with gpu, tried out handbrake with nvenc presets, failed.
    This is the hardware
    CPU: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1355U
    Ram: 32479 MB,
    GPU Information:
    Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics - 31.0.101.4575
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 4GB Laptop GPU - 31.0.15.2896

This is a snippet from the logfile:

[08:11:24] Probing 1 unknown stream
    [08:11:24] Probe: Found stream mpegvideo. stream id 0xe0-0x0
    [08:11:24] sync: expecting 128083 video frames
    [08:11:24] encavcodecInit: H.265 (Nvidia NVENC)
    [08:11:24] encavcodec: encoding at rc=vbr, 27.00
    [08:11:24] encavcodec: encoding with stored aspect 1/1
    [hevc_nvenc @ 000002106de33c40] Driver does not support the required nvenc API version. Required: 12.1 Found: 12.0
    [hevc_nvenc @ 000002106de33c40] The minimum required Nvidia driver for nvenc is (unknown) or newer
    [08:11:24] encavcodecInit: avcodec_open failed
    Failure to initialise thread 'FFMPEG encoder (libavcodec)'

(ie, no output) The typical handbrake (1.7.1) presets work fine

I think this is an ffmpeg problem, but of course am not sure, and if it is, I don't know how (or have the tools) to solve it directly.
    I didn't install ffmpeg myself, but did install handbrake & audacity, & one or the other may have done the install. I don't see a binary but
    audacity has a lib-ffmpeg-support.dll.

How to fix?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Driver does not support the required nvenc API version. Required: 12.1 Found: 12.0
    => updating the drivers seems to be the first thing to try
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. This helped. But it's not a clean update. Windows update shows the installed drivers as the most up to date (as they should be - it's a new laptop that's just been thru its startup windows update cycle). But this nvidia package dates to Feb 2023. nvidia has had multiple updates since then, including one on 12 Dec. Installing this update seems to have cured whatever problem ffmpeg had. Maybe voided my warranty too.

Shouldn't there be some way to tell Microsoft (or at least, the laptop vendor) that the driver package they install is nearly a year out of date?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have Windows 11 Professional and have installed Audacity which works as expected. I prefer Vidcoder to Handbrake although the same engine under the bonnet, it's working as well. I tend to install most apps under Administrator. I doubt if that would have anything to do with your problem. Installing legit updates to programs doesn't void warranty unless your warranty specifically says so because your unit is some sort of bespoke and unique model.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Maybe voided my warranty too.
    Changing the drivers does not void a warranty.
    Shouldn't there be some way to tell Microsoft (or at least, the laptop vendor) that the driver package they install is nearly a year out of date?
    You can always contact the Windows support. But usually, the NVIDIA drivers installed through Windows lack functionality compared to the NVIDIA package.
    The Windows drivers are mainly for video playback and display.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Same issue on Windows 10, using Handbrake last version and even using ffmpeg version 6.1 command line (-c:v hevc_nvenc).
    Updated the Nvidia driver to last version (528.02) but the problem persists.
    Issue likely appeared after updating Handbrake and ffmpeg.

Both Handbrake and ffmpeg show this:
    Code:
    [hevc_nvenc @ 0000027a1a795080] Driver does not support the required nvenc API version. Required: 12.1 Found: 12.0
    [hevc_nvenc @ 0000027a1a795080] The minimum required Nvidia driver for nvenc is (unknown) or newer
    [vost#0:0/hevc_nvenc @ 0000027a1a794dc0] Error while opening encoder - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height.
    Error while filtering: Function not implemented
    Quote Quote  
  7. Seems like your drivers are too old to support the new nvenc api, so you might need an older build of ffmpeg/handbrake which still use older nvenc.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by colemarc View Post
    Same issue on Windows 10, using Handbrake last version and even using ffmpeg version 6.1 command line (-c:v hevc_nvenc).
    Updated the Nvidia driver to last version (528.02) but the problem persists.
    Issue likely appeared after updating Handbrake and ffmpeg.

Both Handbrake and ffmpeg show this:
    Code:
    [hevc_nvenc @ 0000027a1a795080] Driver does not support the required nvenc API version. Required: 12.1 Found: 12.0
    [hevc_nvenc @ 0000027a1a795080] The minimum required Nvidia driver for nvenc is (unknown) or newer
    [vost#0:0/hevc_nvenc @ 0000027a1a794dc0] Error while opening encoder - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height.
    Error while filtering: Function not implemented
    try this, run sudo apt install libffmpeg-nvenc-dev
    then run sudo apt purge ffmpeg
    then run sudo apt install ffmpeg

more info here - https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=157659
    Quote Quote  
  9. He's on Windows 10, the Linux Debian apt-calls won't help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    He's on Windows 10, the Linux Debian apt-calls won't help.
    wasn't sure on how to run that on windows 10, but i hope it's
    a step in the right direction !!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    He's on Windows 10, the Linux Debian apt-calls won't help.
    The OP says Windows 11
    Last edited by pcspeak; 3rd Jan 2024 at 13:09.
    Quote Quote  
  12. true, colemarc was using Win10, but still trying to run Linux Debian stuff does not make sense on Windows.
    Also what whose instructions to is update the nvenc connection in ffmpeg.
    ffmpeg on Windows usually is statically linked = includes the nvenc connection.
    => like I wrote, switching to another ffmpeg version might help
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @nasruddin
    I'm not sure about the driver update you've done.
    I would try this one. It's a 700MB download.
    https://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownloads/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/472.12/47...&type=geforcem

Read the install options as it installs. Check the box to do a clean install.
    I would only install any video and audio drivers and uncheck the rest.
    Later run the install again if needed and leave whichever boxes checked.

Cheers.
    Last edited by pcspeak; 3rd Jan 2024 at 13:25.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A general FYI.

This is the latest CUDA download. It's 3.1GB.
    cuda_12.3.2_546.12_windows.exe

Which is available here.
    https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads
    You have to be a registered member (which I am) to get it.

I have this installed on my desktop computer, from the nVidia drivers site:
    545.92-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe
    It contains the NVIDIA CUDA driver v12.3.68

Cheers.
    Last edited by pcspeak; 3rd Jan 2024 at 14:59. Reason: Clarification & spelling.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @nasruddin
    nVidia Driver Page (no registration required)

Windows Driver Type
    "DCH" refers to drivers developed according to Microsoft's DCH driver design principles;
    DCH drivers are built with requisite Declarative, Componentized, Hardware Support App elements. DCH drivers are installed on most new desktop and mobile workstation systems.
    "Standard" refers to driver packages that predate the DCH driver design paradigm. Standard drivers are for those who have not yet transitioned to contemporary DCH drivers, or require these drivers to support older products.
    DCH drivers can be installed over a system that presently has a Standard driver, and vice versa.
    To confirm the type of driver that is presently installed on a system, locate Driver Type under the System Information menu in the NVIDIA Control Panel.
    You'll find the DCH characters in the name of my nVidia installation exe. 545.92-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe

I pointed you to the Standard drivers. If the standard drivers work, great. If not, then download the DCH drivers.
    The search for the 'Driver Type', as explained in the above quote, will give you good info.

A Windows update after the Standard install may/may not be beneficial, if Standard isn't working and before you bother to download the DCH driver package.

It all may seem a bit much, but I've not had nVidia give me any major problems. If in doubt do an uninstall of all nVidia software and reboot the computer. Microsoft will automatically install what it sees as the current/best drivers for your computer. Probably the drivers you have installed right now.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Last edited by pcspeak; 3rd Jan 2024 at 15:30.
    Quote Quote