VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've seen complaints in the past about installing codec packs. On occassion one or other of my players which are Daum PotPlayer or VLC will not load a video. What's the current wisdom on codec packs?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For just the directshow filters, LAV filters is probably a better choice.

VLC does not use the system codecs. It plays almost everything using its internal decoding.
    For any file it does not play, you should look at the file details (codec info,etc)
    using mediainfo
    Last edited by davexnet; 18th Dec 2023 at 16:34.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    I've seen complaints in the past about installing codec packs. On occassion one or other of my players which are Daum PotPlayer or VLC will not load a video. What's the current wisdom on codec packs?
    Some codec packs contain ad-wares and some codec packs are specificly put together to, when combined have an increased risk of malfunction or cause errors or security weakness together with other programs or settings, might not happen very often but it have happend, while some other codec pack are completely fine to use!

Allso if an specific codec would give an error message or for example be rejected by youtube for it is something wrong with it is common for peopole to put theese codecs into packs and share them in hope of ruin an complete collection of movies/videos intended for uploading to youtube, or to ruin it for any other possible scenario that it could function well at first glimce, but later on when finally it is time to shine, it is something wrong with it such as laggs, stutters, faulty pixels and more!

Edit: If it is an original codec with installation setup, it come along the creators brand/mark on the installation with some additional info about the codec, seem a bit more relaible, maybe better to download and install them separately as it is easier to destuingish if it is the real codec one is acctualy looking to install! If lucky then allso it come along an possibilty to get free support if there would be an complete disaster when all videos is something wrong with them! Maybe K-Lite offers theese things allso, i dont know!
    Last edited by Swedaniel; 18th Dec 2023 at 16:39.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't need/use/install codec packs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    For just the directshow filters, LAV filters is probably a better choice.

VLC does not use the system codecs. It plays almost everything using its internal decoding.
    For any file it does not play, you should look at the file details (codec info,etc)
    using mediainfo

thanks Dave,
    That's a good tip. As I recall, DaumPotPlayer occassionally refuses to play something that VLC will.
    Call this solved.
    Quote Quote