VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been looking/reading here about CC's, mostly ooold threads!
    I rip dvd's to iso's & VOB files to the computer.
    I have on my computer "WinDVD", which shows (optionally) CC's.
    Is there any software to add CC's as subtitles to iso's without extraction?
    I can connect a computer to TV (via stereo amp hdmi), but this is a hassle, one more dedicated computer!
    I wondered if I got a dvd player with usb input, would that let the player show CC's from iso image?
    Just lookin' for an easy way to turn on CC's.

-cornemuse-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    I've been looking/reading here about CC's, mostly ooold threads!
    I rip dvd's to iso's & VOB files to the computer.
    I have on my computer "WinDVD", which shows (optionally) CC's.
    Is there any software to add CC's as subtitles to iso's without extraction?
    I can connect a computer to TV (via stereo amp hdmi), but this is a hassle, one more dedicated computer!
    I wondered if I got a dvd player with usb input, would that let the player show CC's from iso image?
    Just lookin' for an easy way to turn on CC's.

-cornemuse-
    No. There is no easy way to add closed captions as subtitles to ISOs.

DVD players in the USA mostly play music and photos from USB sticks. If they can play video from a USB stick (not all can do this) it will be limited to DivX or Xvid. They definitely won't play ISO files from a USB stick. Blu-ray players and UHD Blu-ray players can't play DVD ISOs from a USB stick either.

Maybe an Android TV box would work instead of a PC but I don't know for sure. There is at least one software media player (VLC) for Windows that plays ISOs with external subtitles and has an Android version for Google TV. Unfortunately, the Android version of VLC doesn't do everything that the Windows version does and I haven't tried the Android Version of VLC to play a DVD ISO with external subtitles to find out if it works. The Android/Google TV devices that I own (Chromecast for Google TV) only have a single USB C port to power the device and I don't have a USB C hub for them to add a USB port for data.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Dec 2023 at 10:13. Reason: clarity
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet =

Thanks, , , ,

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I decided to see if VLC for Android could play ISO files and external subtitles using my Android phone.

First, I tried to see if I could play a DVD ISO file and external SRT subs stored on a PC via networking. Unfortunately, that didn't work. VLC for Android couldn't detect the DVD IFO file let alone play it.

Then I tried playing the same DVD ISO file and external SRT subs from a USB stick (USB C type) using VLC for Android and my Android phone. The USB stick needs to be formatted to use exFAT as its file system to allow Android to use it. This worked, so there is a good chance that it would work with an Android TV box too. The user interface is somewhat different for the Android version of VCL than the user interface for the Windows version and, of course, it uses a touch screen on my phone rather than a keyboard or remote.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Dec 2023 at 19:01. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VLC for Android has stopped working for playing DVD ISO files and external subtitles from a USB stick on my Android phone. Playing a DVD file and folder structure doesn't work either. VLC doesn't even "see" these items as something it can use anymore and shows the USB stick to be empty. I tried uninstalling and re-installing VLC but that did not help. Perhaps the latest version of VLC for Android no longer supports file-based DVD playback.

I uninstalled VLC from my phone and installed Kodi for Android. Kodi successfully played DVD ISOs and DVDs as files and folders. I have not been able to get closed captions to display yet, although I enabled parsing for them and they were found. I haven't been able to get external subtitles to work yet either. If I can get them working I will post again in this thread.
    Quote Quote