VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. With Videoredo not being available any longer, is there anything available that allows splitting and joining mp4 files simply and quickly?

I've tried numerous programs that are all too complicated, too cumbersome or too slow when editing out commercials.

My needs are pretty simple: quick movement of the frame pointer on large files and easy saving of selected sections.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did have a look at https://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr6.html but thankfully, my VideoRedo is still running OK.

Do you have VRD, because I was able to reinstall it successfully on my new machine recently with my licence key.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I recall, Cypheros TS-Doctor offers some of the same features as VideoReDo. TS-Doctor has a free trial so you can try before you buy.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I did have a look at https://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr6.html but thankfully, my VideoRedo is still running OK.

Do you have VRD, because I was able to reinstall it successfully on my new machine recently with my licence key.
    I've tried pegasys and about a dozen other free and paid systems. All are very cumbersome or not really all that usable for cutting commercials from a MKV or MP4 OBS capture.

I've tried activating my VRD several times, but evidently the activation server is permanently gone. Not at all angry, as I had many years of use with the different versions.
    Maybe some creative soul will build a VRD clone in the future.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nicksteel View Post
    With Videoredo not being available any longer, is there anything available that allows splitting and joining mp4 files simply and quickly?

I've tried numerous programs that are all too complicated, too cumbersome or too slow when editing out commercials.

My needs are pretty simple: quick movement of the frame pointer on large files and easy saving of selected sections.
    Hi, have you looked into this program Video to Video? It have many functions, including to join videos, split videos and commercial remover! if theyre any good tools i dont know, i basicly just tested the program a lil bit to convert an video (Version 2.9.6.10).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With Videoredo not being available any longer, is there anything available that allows splitting and joining mp4 files simply and quickly?

see this thread - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/330036-Best-free-way-to-split-or-join-MP4-files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    None of those are really practical, in my view. It appears none will cut on the exact frame (important during ads); they only cut on the I frames.

@Nicksteel, please post back if you find a good one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Avidemux
    Only cuts on key frames.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Swedaniel View Post

Hi, have you looked into this program Video to Video? It have many functions, including to join videos, split videos and commercial remover! if theyre any good tools i dont know, i basicly just tested the program a lil bit to convert an video (Version 2.9.6.10).
    Thanks.

I have. It seems primarily a reformat program. I did cut a portion of a MKV, but the pointer is not controllable with the mouse or keys. I really need a simple lossless output. It is about the best I've seen so far, though ...................
    Last edited by nicksteel; 17th Dec 2023 at 14:31.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any current owner of VRD concerned about activation and support should check out subreddit r/videoredo , in particular posts by u/Dan203 who was the only employee of the company and primary programmer of the program. He kept the servers and forum going for the last year purely by unpaid volunteer actions. And he’s planning to set up a server for activation now that the VRD servers and forum are gone, apparently forever.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks interesting: "In version 2.0 we introduced MPEG-2 frame accurate editing. SolveigMM advanced technology keeps 99% of data and only transcodes a few frames at the beginning and end of the video segments, so that now MPEG2 files are also processed fast and lossless."

But, even though it's free (time-limited) you still have to sign up! Why? Pity. Pass.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    SmartCutter from Fame-Ring, Works like a charm, it has a "get use to" period of its proprietary GUI, Once you get familiar with its functionality you're good to go, I've been using it for years, I occasionally use it now, my main use of it was to remove nude scenes from Blu-ray backups so I can watch the movie with the family, I would dump the m2ts file in it and it cuts through all the streams, audio tracks, subtitles everything with no loss, drift or delay, I then take the edited m2ts file or files (depends on disc) and put them back in the same disc image and save it using a disc image editor, the movie plays like the original with no problems at all.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 18th Dec 2023 at 22:10. Reason: fixed link
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by nicksteel View Post
    As Videoredo's programmer has now arranged activation for pre-existing purchases (very much appreciated), I am now able to install it on my new computer. It is unfortunate that future purchases of the program are no longer available due to the death of the owner.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    SmartCutter from Fame-Ring, Works like a charm, it has a "get use to" period of its proprietary GUI, Once you get familiar with its functionality you're good to go, I've been using it for years, I occasionally use it now, my main use of it was to remove nude scenes from Blu-ray backups so I can watch the movie with the family, I would dump the m2ts file in it and it cuts through all the streams, audio tracks, subtitles everything with no loss, drift or delay, I then take the edited m2ts file or files (depends on disc) and put them back in the same disc image and save it using a disc image editor, the movie plays like the original with no problems at all.
    SmartCutter is the perfect tool, easy to use, intuitive. But for a few days now, idk why, SmartCutter crash a lot, more more lot than usual.
    People have some equivalent. cut on exact frame without reencoding (on .ts, mp4 file)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I reply on videoredo's QuickStreamFix, especially via CLI, to fix a range of relatively frequent OTA capture issues.

Unfortunately no other product seems to have that functionality, apart from TSDOCTOR which I tested and it appeared not to do all of the QSF things that videoredo did, although it does do some things.
    TSDOCTOR did pop up an unwanted window from time to time which was not a good thing when trying to run it using CLI in a scheduled task (a "batch job" in the old parlance, usually without access to window displays).
    I did post to them they may care to consider somehow acquiring the IP from videoredo now that videoredo is defunct, but saw no response.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Cheers,
    - recently Videoredo Professinal takes time to look for the non existing server.
    - I once used the dynamic leveling of audio - actually, unfortunately even simple tasks fail.
    Thus I am looking for an replacement for VRD.

The mentioned smart cutter seams to miss al lot of features.
    As well the recommended Solveigh MM seams as well missing a lot.

I am looking for these features:
    - easily setting and seeing and correcting start and end pont of video
    - fade in/out of video / audio from 0.5 ... 2 secs
    intelligent recode makes sense then
    - set audio i.e. to AAC, set a bit rate
    - convert mpeg to mp4, select a codec
    - support of hardware gpu: intel, nvidea
    - output the video with different resolution and frame rate

Do you have a suggestion of a software, which might fit?

rgds, Klaus
    Quote Quote  
  18. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Those are features of a NLE software, Smart cutter, videoredo and the likes are lossless cutters, If you want lossy editing get one of the big boys.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by KlausG View Post
    Cheers,
    - recently Videoredo Professinal takes time to look for the non existing server.
    - I once used the dynamic leveling of audio - actually, unfortunately even simple tasks fail.
    Thus I am looking for an replacement for VRD.

The mentioned smart cutter seams to miss al lot of features.
    As well the recommended Solveigh MM seams as well missing a lot.

I am looking for these features:
    - easily setting and seeing and correcting start and end pont of video
    - fade in/out of video / audio from 0.5 ... 2 secs
    intelligent recode makes sense then
    - set audio i.e. to AAC, set a bit rate
    - convert mpeg to mp4, select a codec
    - support of hardware gpu: intel, nvidea
    - output the video with different resolution and frame rate

Do you have a suggestion of a software, which might fit?

rgds, Klaus
    Hi Klaus,
    You are right SolveigM Video Splitter is just for smart split and join of different media file types, keeping output as input.
    But we do a video editor, that also works as smart rendering but has more editing features.
    So at least video fade in fade out is there

it has a free plan so try it here
    https://www.solveigmm.com/en/products/video-editor/

or as a free online tool
    https://freevideoeditor.online/
    Quote Quote