VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Somehow I lost the method to add .SRT to the file association group in Win 7. So everything looks like a note file. SRT is not in the File Association area in Windows-- got lost some way. How can I add .SRT back into the long list of file associations. I cannot see anything on the page to 'add' which I did long ago but is out of my memory? Somehow this 'preference' or whatever was lost.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Have tried to right click the file (any .srt file) and select "Open With" and from the roll out that come you select "Choose an other App" and before selecting any programs from the list or by browsing you click/select the box "Allways use this app to open .srt files".. This would make the .srt appear in this File Association area!
    Quote Quote  
  3. I will try that. thanks

no luck. I've certainly seen open with (VLC) or some such. But for these SRTs, they just go to open. It's my guess is it's because SRT is not in Associations. I'm trying to add it and cannot figure out how to.

I looked at Win10 Associations just to see if it was ever added to the associations list. No.
    Last edited by loninappleton; 11th Dec 2023 at 23:51.
    Quote Quote  
  4. screen shot for this
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	open with.png
Views:	19
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	75468  

Quote Quote  
  5. One solution for this is to reinstall programs like VLC or Subtitle Edit and select file associations during setup. Your SRTs will show the SubRip Icon from the Subtitle Edit icon deck. Same with VLC. But it's an incomplete solution. M4V is still out there with nothing. Perhaps running Potplayer can pick up the other audio video file types. I had just forgotten most of this and just recalling it.

It doesn't look any better in Windows 10, they just moved all the parts around.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Win7, click on Start button --> "Default Programs". Next window, click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program".

In next window, scroll down to ".srt" and click "Change program". Choose Subtitle Edit from installed programs or the "SubtitleEdit.exe" file if you're running portable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    In Win7, click on Start button --> "Default Programs". Next window, click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program".

In next window, scroll down to ".srt" and click "Change program". Choose Subtitle Edit from installed programs or the "SubtitleEdit.exe" file if you're running portable.
    I had been through that many times but SRT is not in the list. After using Subtitle Edit install to select that as the default program, I gotr a few icon changes but have to check the list again to see if it appeared. All the defaulklt program stuff is for
    listed file types. That's the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Progress.

Using a known program like Subtitle Edit which has the option of selecting default associations added the SRT and ASS, SubRip--
    I didn't see all of them.

To pick up M4V etc I can do a fresh install of Daum Potplayer which I think will give the option. I do no use MPC so would avoid that.

I'll report back with other progress.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's really quite simple, right click on a srt file and go to Properties. You will see the existing file association as Opens with. Click the change button and away you go!

An example
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-13 080825.png
Views:	8
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	75482  

SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  10. I was right clicking on things all day with no results.

However using the technique above with reinstalling SE also worked to get back file types for VLC and I just reinstalled Pot Player which added more of the missing video formats.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    screen shot for this
    On this image you go to the bottom and open Properties.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote