VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I digitized many of my old VHS/VHS-C tapes, than Video8 and Hi8. Everything ok that far. But as I came to the
    newest tapes, the Digital8, I have problems with artefacts, I'll try to describe.

Capturing is mostly ok, but sometimes it comes to a kind of blocking, starting with some horizontal lines that are
    freezing, and ending with 6 "stripes" of equal hight: the upper most stripe shows the normal video, next one the
    "standing" blocking pixel, next one normal video and so on. The freezed lines don't go away after scene
    changes, they disappear after a long while.
    For better understanding I will upload a short sample video (half resulution, but errors are recognizable).

I think blocking is ok if there are problems with the tape (if there are not correctable),
    but I don't understand, why they are partially frozen? And why so long, also when scene has already changed?

My used signal flow: Sony TRV330E PAL -> Firewire -> Sclive

Is it a known problem? And if yes: how to avoid it? I googled/searched different forums, but didn't find an answer.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Freezing lines means read error due to damaged tape or clogged heads. Each thick line is one track, 12 tracks per frame for "PAL" (6 tracks per field, recorded be one head), 10 tracks for "NTSC". So, it seems that one head is clogged.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the fast reply! You answer also makes clear, why partly a "live" image can be seen.
    Quote Quote