VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an old computer built with case Fractal Design Define R4. I decided to give the case a good thorough cleaning so I took everything out and kept only the metal barebone case, then washed it thoroughly with water and now it looks like new.
    The top panel connectors and cables were taken out and I know exactly were every connector goes, but strangely enough I found a cable assembly with a LED on one end and two small connectors marked Power LED+ and Power LED-
    I tried to see where the LED could have come out, but without success.
    Attached an image of the cable assembly. I hope someone could help to let me know where to put it back.
    I also asked Fractal Design support to help, but since the case is very old more than 10 years, I doubt if they can help.
    Worst case option is to just stick the LED somewhere where I can see if the power is on or off.
    Thanks for any help.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fractal Design Define R4 Cable.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	75304  

Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Look for in the motherboard instructions on where to place Power On+/Power -, Power Off+/Power -, HDD Led+/-, Reset +/-, ellse it can say on the acctual motherboard where to place the cables! Theese are the cables that will communicate with your motherboard when pressing power on, reset and allso if it has an HDD Led, this is the Led light that will flash/blink on the chassi when the hdd is in usage! And the Power LED is the one who indicate that the power is on, and it can display red color if something is faulty! if there is no instructions from the chassi/or it does not say on the connector which one it is (ie. Power On+) to compare with the motherboard instructions try follow each cable from its connector to its connection point and see if you can see which button or led light that it belong to!

Most of the times it will be written in text next to the stick on the motherboard which connector belongs there! Ellse in the motherboard instructions there will be images to guide you!
    Last edited by Swedaniel; 5th Dec 2023 at 15:03.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Swedaniel View Post
    Look for in the motherboard instructions on where to place Power On+/Power -, Power Off+/Power -, HDD Led+/-, Reset +/-, ellse it can say on the acctual motherboard where to place the cables! Theese are the cables that will communicate with your motherboard when pressing power on, reset and allso if it has an HDD Led, this is the Led light that will flash/blink on the chassi when the hdd is in usage! And the Power LED is the one who indicate that the power is on, and it can display red color if something is faulty! if there is no instructions from the chassi/or it does not say on the connector which one it is (ie. Power On+) to compare with the motherboard instructions try follow each cable from its connector to its connection point and see if you can see which button or led light that it belong to!

Most of the times it will be written in text next to the stick on the motherboard which connector belongs there! Ellse in the motherboard instructions there will be images to guide you!
    I know how to connect the connectors to the motherboard. The problem is that the LED end came off from the top panel and I can't see where it could have been attached to in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The led would be where you see the on/off light in the case.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Originally Posted by Swedaniel View Post

I know how to connect the connectors to the motherboard. The problem is that the LED end came off from the top panel and I can't see where it could have been attached to in the first place.

Oooh, i see! well hard to say, some sort of clip thing that maybe fell off on the inside? maybe it is still in the chassi or some sort of "slider" to slide it to! I seen those leds on all sort of locations on the chassi so i really cant be sure!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The LED is right in front of the power switch. I have no idea how it is retained there, but it “shows” through the narrow translucent plastic piece at the top center of the case.

BW
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The power LED is supposed to light up both the power button and a small piece of translucent plastic above the top optical drive so if there is nothing in the vicinity that could hold it in place, then maybe whatever held it in place broke or if it was glued in place, the glue washed away.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies @BW37 and @usually-quiet. That makes sense.
    I will attach the LED end to the power button next to the translucent plastic with an adhesive tape to keep it in place. It is just poor design by the manufacturer.
    It will be interesting to receive their reply.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The LED location is in a small hole part of the power switch. It just sits there and can be easily detached. I put the LED end of the cable inside the hole and put adhesive tape around it and the power switch cable and hopefully it will not detach again.
    You can see the LED location in the attached images.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5842S.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	75317  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5843S.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	75318  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5845S.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	75319  

Quote Quote  
  10. Usually such parts as LED's are fixed in position with help of hot, melted glue - it works, higher quality enclosures usually use dedicated fixtures with some retainers to so LED can be easily snap in, snap out.
    Quote Quote