VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know I've posted about this before but thought I'd mention it again to see if anyone has had the same problems. I bought my Lenovo laptop about 5 months ago but for some reason the HDD space keeps running down and sometimes (not always though) when I'm using a browers just on youtube (doesn't matter which browser it is) after about an hour or so (sometimes it can be longer) when I try and load another page it can no longer load saying that there is no RAM left. This morning when this happened I checked C drive and there was no space left, it was done to zero. Why would using a browser lower the HDD space for? and why is using it up so much RAM?. I had no other programmes running just a web browser (Chrome).

I don't think I have had this issue on any of my other laptops before. This must be either a virus, malware or spyware. Doesn't help that my antivirus has expired. If it were the laptop itself being faulty why does it still function?. When I do a reboot all it is back to normal with the disc space at about 2 GB. I regularly clear the cache, web history, cookies and storage temp files. I'm just wondering if turning storage sense off will help?. I deleted temp files in there but I've still only got 26MB left of 56GB. It's strange that this only seems to happen at random times, I've only been on my laptop for about an hour and half, sometimes this can happen after many hours. Very strange.
    Last edited by techmot; 5th Dec 2023 at 04:28.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    I know I've posted about this before but thought I'd mention it again to see if anyone has had the same problems. I bought my Lenovo laptop about 5 months ago but for some reason the HDD space keeps running down and sometimes (not always though) when I'm using a browers just on youtube (doesn't matter which browser it is) after about an hour or so (sometimes it can be longer) when I try and load another page it can no longer load saying that there is no RAM left. This morning when this happened I checked C drive and there was no space left, it was done to zero. Why would using a browser lower the HDD space for? and why is using it up so much RAM?. I had no other programmes running just a web browser (Chrome).

I don't think I have had this issue on any of my other laptops before. This must be either a virus, malware or spyware. Doesn't help that my antivirus has expired. If it were the laptop itself being faulty why does it still function?. When I do a reboot all it is back to normal with the disc space at about 2 GB. I regularly clear the cache, web history, cookies and storage temp files. I'm just wondering if turning storage sense off will help?. I deleted temp files in there but I've still only got 26MB left of 56GB. It's strange that this only seems to happen at random times, I've only been on my laptop for about an hour and half, sometimes this can happen after many hours. Very strange.
    Check your settings for hibernation settings and the pagesys, this hibernation for example can be consuming hdd storage similar to an cache to fast boot the computer after hibernation! Allso the pagesys file use hdd storage allso, maybe it can be reduced a lil bit! if there is an sd memory slot try put an fast one and check right click the memory to check for Ready Chache boost and it can help give more RAM with just a lil bit less performance! (if the sd memory is factory formatted do not format it to use it with ready cache, it might not function for it after formatting.. it work allso with those super small memory cards which can be put in an sd card slot).

Edit: I think if you disable hibernation the hibernation file is deleted (it is just temporary cached files basicly so it is no worries).

Allso is not Windows Defender included for free with Windows 11?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know I've posted about this before but thought I'd mention it again to see if anyone has had the same problems. I bought my Lenovo laptop about 5 months ago but for some reason the HDD space keeps running down and sometimes (not always though) when I'm using a browers just on youtube (doesn't matter which browser it is) after about an hour or so (sometimes it can be longer) when I try and load another page it can no longer load saying that there is no RAM left. This morning when this happened I checked C drive and there was no space left, it was done to zero. Why would using a browser lower the HDD space for? and why is using it up so much RAM?. I had no other programmes running just a web browser (Chrome).

have you recently installed any games or programs on the laptop ??
    what antivirus do you have that is expired ??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I attached an Windows 11 Registry Enabler for Windows Defender..

Edit: source/found here 7 months ago: https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or-disable-microsoft-defender-antivirus-in-windows-11.4269/

For more info about the file contained in the zip file you can visit VirusTotal.
    Here is an url to the file contained in the zip file: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/c5b31091b80cb2ab6280c14f91bfd32ca67b6372389374c335...10d-1681309105
    It had to be packed to an zip file since the website did not support uploading .reg files!

You can allso visit: https://www.virustotal.com and add this to the search box: c5b31091b80cb2ab6280c14f91bfd32ca67b6372389374c335 9930611f17c10d

Click on Community and you'll find my name there! Im using Windows 10 myself so i havent tested it, it seem allright atleast!
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Swedaniel; 5th Dec 2023 at 05:45.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Treesize!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Swedaniel View Post

Check your settings for hibernation settings and the pagesys, this hibernation for example can be consuming hdd storage similar to an cache to fast boot the computer after hibernation! Allso the pagesys file use hdd storage allso, maybe it can be reduced a lil bit! if there is an sd memory slot try put an fast one and check right click the memory to check for Ready Chache boost and it can help give more RAM with just a lil bit less performance! (if the sd memory is factory formatted do not format it to use it with ready cache, it might not function for it after formatting.. it work allso with those super small memory cards which can be put in an sd card slot).

Edit: I think if you disable hibernation the hibernation file is deleted (it is just temporary cached files basicly so it is no worries).

Yes I have Windows Defender installed, and it is running. I've never had to do that on my other laptops (Win Vista and Win 8), so I don't know why I need to that with Windows 11. I tried downloading Avast but I haven't enough disc space to install it. I doubt any of the programs I have are taking up all that space.
    Last edited by techmot; 5th Dec 2023 at 08:38.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by october262 View Post

It's McAfee (654 MB), Personal Security (10.2 MB) and Web Advisor (62.5 MB). I've no games installed and no large programs installed recently.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think the laptop is faulty or infected with a virus. It's just that you have to be a certain amount tech-savvy to keep a
    system so constrained by space running. Knowing what to look what to look for and what action you can take, is the key I'm afraid.

Windows and apps use a certain amount of working/temoprary space while they are running and is usually freed/consolidated
    when the app closes and/or the system is rebooted. This is normal, it's just that users with plenty of free storage don't notice it,
    becasue it doesn't affect their systems.

Get somebody to help you, or get a laptop with a much bigger HDD/SSD
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I don't think the laptop is faulty or infected with a virus. It's just that you have to be a certain amount tech-savvy to keep a
    system so constrained by space running. Knowing what to look what to look for and what action you can take, is the key I'm afraid.

Windows and apps use a certain amount of working/temoprary space while they are running and is usually freed/consolidated
    when the app closes and/or the system is rebooted. This is normal, it's just that users with plenty of free storage don't notice it,
    becasue it doesn't affect their systems.

Get somebody to help you, or get a laptop with a much bigger HDD/SSD
    Thanks for that. Yeah I suspect there is no virus or that it's faulty. If it is just Windows and that you need to be aware of it and keep up with the system storage, then making a laptop with such a small amount of HDD space seems pointless if you are just using it for even simple tasks or browsing. If this is what Win11 does then I might as well go back to an older version. I've noticed laptops seem to be more expensive now than what they were a few years ago when I bought my Toshiba for about £250 with 1TB HDD, a DVD writer, 8GB RAM, now for that kind of money all you'd be lucky to get 4GB RAM, no DVD writer and Windows 11 and a 250GB HDD. Why are there so few laptops now that have DVD writers?.
    Last edited by techmot; 5th Dec 2023 at 11:08.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Optical media is being phased out, it is no longer a "must have" device. If you really need one, can always get a USB external drive.
    I've noticed the prices of laptops can vary quite a bit, usually the price comes down right before a succeeding model is released.
    Take a look at the refurbished market, lots of deals out there.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

It's McAfee (654 MB), Personal Security (10.2 MB) and Web Advisor (62.5 MB). I've no games installed and no large programs installed recently.
    windows defender is just as good as any other antivirus software out there, plus it's free.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I agree with what all @davexnet has said, especially where it seems that device is SERIOUSLY underpowered. but here are a few other things to try prior to getting a replacement:

1. Ditch McAfee! It is nearly synonymous with malware now. Completely uninstall it and its sidecar apps. Go with something that doesn't consume so much ram nor so much disk space, for example Malwarebytes is quite recommended.
    2. Install & Run C-Cleaner, and Privacy Eraser, and clean off your drive as much as you can. Then UNINSTALL them both (and only re-install when it becomes a major problem again).
    3. Go to your C: drive in Windows Explorer and Right-click & choose "Properties", then run [Disk Cleanup]. After it scans (may take a while), select EVERYTHING listed (unless you already know you must keep something in particular). Then, choose [Clean up System Files]. It will scan AGAIN (may take even longer). Then select EVERYTHING listed (again, unless you already know you must keep something in particular). Then click [OK], then click [Delete] and wait until it deletes all that. I just did it and gained back 9.84GB.
    4. When it is complete, you are back at that same Properties window. Select/Check "Compress this drive to save disk space". This will take a VERY LONG TIME, but when done you should have gain back a bunch of GB*.
    5. After this, you can close that out, and also check to see if you have any "Windows_old" type folders or "Temp" folders (e.g. "C:\temp, C:\Windows\temp")and delete them and all their contents. Note: they won't fully delete if there is a running app that resides there, and you want to make sure there aren't any files in the temp folder that you put in there (you shouldn't, that is not usually the proper place for them).
    6. If you have more than your own main user account/profile, think about removing those others as they often add multiple GB for each one (do NOT!!! remove the main admin account). A good way to do this is use "DelProf2" commandline script, as it correctly removes both the account folders & files, but also the Registry listings, and it will keep "reserved" accounts (SYSTEM, main admin, the account currently logged in), plus you can specify others in an exception list.

That should help a bit,

Scott

*Disk compression uses NTFS to natively store files in a manner similar to a zip file, so you might conceivably cut your disk footprint in 1/2 (although it rarely is that helpful, but is almost ALWAYS helpful). When used, it means the computer must always DECOMPRESS the file upon using/reading, which adds a few CPU cycles, but it often provides a speedup regardless, because the other processes (SEEK, READ, etc) are reduced.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 5th Dec 2023 at 12:41.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Swedaniel View Post

Yes I have Windows Defender installed, and it is running. I've never had to do that on my other laptops (Win Vista and Win 8), so I don't know why I need to that with Windows 11. I tried downloading Avast but I haven't enough disc space to install it. I doubt any of the programs I have are taking up all that space.
    Hi, ok, maybe this program called Microsoft PC Manager can help out, it have an RAM Boost feature plus some HDD cleaning tools! Maybe if you are worried allso there are programs to offer to scan for viruses/spywares/malwares that can be run concurrently together with Microsoft Defender, an example would 'Emsisoft Emergency Kit' which deliver an malware scanner, quick scan mode, scan memory and more! it is free allso, atleast the one i found! (I have tested it for Windows 10 only, but it is an pretty new version i found so it can probably work with Windows 11 allso).

I had the same issue with HDD for an latop with 50gb hdd, somehow my windows with pagefiles, hibernation and what not consumed 30gb storage, when i was done fixing with such things i had 8gb hdd used instead of hdd going red saying hdd is full.. it did not last long untill everything got back to normal and i had around 15-20gb free after when all was back up and running really smooth again!

Edit: If you install an other complete anti virus solution, i think most of them acctually disable the Windows Defender anti virus solution! If you want to keep Windows Defender active try look for some scanner solutions that can be run at the same time as Windows Defender!

Kaspersky have an nice looking version to help scan boot sectors and some more stuff, this is only an scanner to help scan remove bad stuff, not the real time anti virus solution that they have allso, latest version of this scanner can be found here: https://devbuilds.s.kaspersky-labs.com/kvrt/latest/full/kvrt.exe
    Last edited by Swedaniel; 5th Dec 2023 at 15:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WinDirStat to see where files are, and how large.
    https://windirstat.net/
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote